X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canklebreaker View Post

I've read use adhesive metallic vinyl wrap or even those dollar store whistles with the colorful foil fringes to glue to the window pieces. If you manage to cut these pieces, I'd love to purchase a set if you can make extras.
    Hmmmm....thanx for that suggestion..I will keep you posted for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post
      I'm in the process of dealing with Cupola glass myself. I have some acrylic at work, as well as a decent Laser etcher/cutter:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_083442.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	307037

If I take real good measurements with a caliper, I should be able to cut out each individual pieces to pop right in, but my question is, How would I tint it? or should I I say, stain it ?
      I've even contemplated going to a tint shop and seeing if I could score some scrap blue window tint? (Abrams)
      Seeing that laser cutter brings back memories. I used to work for a model building company until about 10 years ago. We built custom scale models of multi-million dollar luxury yachts. The hobby stuff you can do when your workplace has a good laser cutter, CNC mill, etc... I miss those times, and the handiness of just having the right tools for about any job right in reach.

But on topic: Personally I'd just paint (or airbrush) the cut acrylic with some thinned down Tamiya clear paint.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post

Seeing that laser cutter brings back memories. I used to work for a model building company until about 10 years ago. We built custom scale models of multi-million dollar luxury yachts. The hobby stuff you can do when your workplace has a good laser cutter, CNC mill, etc... I miss those times, and the handiness of just having the right tools for about any job right in reach.

But on topic: Personally I'd just paint (or airbrush) the cut acrylic with some thinned down Tamiya clear paint.
        I may end up doing just that. I've been distracted doing other tank details, and will be addressing this very soon. Today at work I was digging through my junk drawer and came across some very thin clear plastic that I had used on another project....didn't know I had any left. This will be much better that the 1/8" Acrylic I was going to use. Sureshot gave me a few excellent suggestions that may work out. canklebreaker- give me some time to perfect the size, etc and I will send you a set of window pane's for the cost of a stamp. Sureshot, that goes for you to if you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by Broffermoon View Post
          Thanks for your guidance. seems like a lot for realism, but gotta do what ya gotta do.
          Have you done it yet? How was it? How did it turn out?

Comment

The trick to the Cupola glass (for me anyway) is getting the glass in without accessing the bottom of the turret. My M1A2 is a Henglong and ripping the Cupola off, or dismantling the turret is not something I wish to undertake. Gluing glass panes from the outside is not an option because each window frame would disappear ruining the look & realism, unless of course fine detail painting was employed if you get my meaning.

Thinking it over, the 1/8" Acrylic may have to do after all. If sized/cut just right, I'm hoping to be able to just pop the glass in with a tiny dab of superglue and be done with it. We shall see.

Comment

Here is a picture of windows created on the HL King Tiger made with Micro Krystal Klear Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2799.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	308697

Comment

I used the blunt end of one of the paint brushes.. Circled the hole, then with a blob on the end of the brush, dragged the liquid across the hole, If it did not cover, added more to the brush end and did it again until it covered. it left a milky covering. Let it dry only to discover they don't make Ziess quality lenses.,

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post

I may end up doing just that. I've been distracted doing other tank details, and will be addressing this very soon. Today at work I was digging through my junk drawer and came across some very thin clear plastic that I had used on another project....didn't know I had any left. This will be much better that the 1/8" Acrylic I was going to use. Sureshot gave me a few excellent suggestions that may work out. canklebreaker- give me some time to perfect the size, etc and I will send you a set of window pane's for the cost of a stamp. Sureshot, that goes for you to if you need them.
                  Appreciate it ZS, im in no rush so no worries!

Comment

All the glass is in.....I ended up using the thick acrylic because my laser simply melted & deformed the thin plastic I had. The acrylic also threw me a curveball I didn't anticipate. The periscopes are "boxed in" from behind and because my "glass" was thick I had to shape the backside to fit. My laser of course is not 3 axis, so I had to sand, fit, sand, fit, sand, fit....etc. The back & sides of the glass on the commanders, loaders & drivers pariscope's were painted using testor's "stop sign red". Because only the backs & sides were painted, it still has a nice 3D glass look. The CITV glass has the blue mylar film glued to the back of it that canklebreaker suggested ....thanx ! That was a miserable experience and a real PITA. Glad that's over. I figured out a way to put glass in the range finder..so thats next on the list.

Name:	20210414_154015.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	308812

Got the "steel grate" laid down in the bustle as well....

Name:	20210407_200206.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	308815
                    Attached Files

Comment

Rangefinder "glass"......

Name:	20210417_132106.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	309218

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

I order two sets of those and frankly just through them away. You would be better off just ordering a set of Abrams “glass” straight from the Tamiya parts website for their Abrams. Easy to fit and look 1000X better.

Here is the but part. You do have to remove the copula first and the “glass” needs to be inserted from the bottom. Not hard to remove the copula.
                        Whats the trick to remove the CDRs copula?

Comment

Working...
                        X