X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heng Long King Tiger Build with IR conversion

I plan to take some time with this build. So, I'll update as mods and details are added.
    We'll start with the plan: The goals is to build an IR battler for the FRAG RC Tank Club battlefield that can model a build on a budget for beginners. So, I bought this 6.0 King Tiger with steel gears, 360 rotation, and Airsoft with Recoil. While a stock 6.0 can be built to battle without recoil, I thought I'd see what could be done with a slight budget upgrade. Thus, this KT will have servo recoil on a 6.1s board, (I'll sell the 6.0 to make up some of the cost.)

Step 1: speaker upgrade: This is a Visaton FRS-7-4 (4ohm 2.5") speaker in a 3D printed enclosure in place of the smoke unit. (I prefer sound over smoke). While the stock speaker is 8ohms, I've never had a problem using a 4ohm on a Heng Long motherboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5220.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	303140
    Attached Files

Step 2: Servo Recoil.
    I gutted the airsoft unit, then cut off the useless lower half.

Name:	IMG_5221.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	303145
    With very little whittling, I was able to fit a 9g servo in the remaining husk.

Name:	IMG_5222.JPG
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	303146
    The servo has some minor wiggle. It could be glued in place. As these servos can fail, I chose to print a small bracket to help hold it together.

Name:	IMG_5224.JPG
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	303147
    The final assembly: Okay not final. I still need to thread the IR bulb and IR restrictor into the barrel.

Name:	IMG_5226.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	303148
    I then printed some spacers to fit the stock recoil arm on to the servo

Name:	IMG_5228.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	303149Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5229.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	303150
    Let her rip!
    The goal with this tank is to create an IR battler on a limited budget. So, it will use a Heng Long TK6.1s control board to control a micro servo in a gutte...

Comment

Good stuff!

I am about to remove the airsoft unit from my Heng Long T-90. I want to remove mine so there is room for a high capacity battery. These T-90’s, while looking cool with their low profile, have quite a cramped hull.

What did you use to cut the bottom half off with?

Comment

Originally posted by TokyoRC View Post
        Good stuff!

I am about to remove the airsoft unit from my Heng Long T-90. I want to remove mine so there is room for a high capacity battery. These T-90’s, while looking cool with their low profile, have quite a cramped hull.

What did you use to cut the bottom half off with?
        Just a plain old hacksaw.

Comment

I was going to use my dremel, but a hacksaw sounds like a quick and easy way.

Thanks!

Comment

Great work!

Comment

IR Receiver base and wiring day. I printed a receiver base, then built a wiring harness.

The parts:

Name:	IMG_5238.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	304035
              The completed receiver base and MFU wiring for receiver and lights (uses LegoDEI receiver)

Name:	IMG_5239.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	304036Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5241.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	304037Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5244.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	304039
              Installed in the cupola:

Name:	IMG_5242.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	304038

Comment

Lots of paint work. I tried oil paint filters and sponge chipping.

Name:	IMG_5265.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	304999Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5267.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	305000Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5269.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	305001

Comment

The finished model.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5272.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.0 KB ID:	305004
                  The Servo recoil in action.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Excellent work BcuriousR !

I'm currently looking at speaker options for my tiny Panzer III, but find conflicting information on what ohm the Heng Long sound drivers are. Some places I read 4 ohm, others I read 8 ohm. It seems that aftermarket speakers can be found in both. Also I read having the wrong ohm speaker can damage the sound driver in the long run.
                    On the other hand: The max watt of the speaker doesn't seem to matter?
                    So the question is: Does it any of this really matter in case of a Heng Long board?

By the way, I like your servo recoil, but is it possible to make the retraction a little longer? I'd think it'd look even more realistic on such a big gun. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X