X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M26 Pershing

A quick diversion from my other projects. I'd seen Rubicon99's Tamiya Pershing and I liked it's look, specifically the lack of "skirts". Toucan was selling a Heng Long static kit, and fortunately I have a buddy who is upgrading his MFU's so I have a line on HL 6.0's. I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think HL will upgrade this kit, at least not for a while, so "if it's to be, it's up to me". My first and only step so far is to remove the skirts on one side.

In honor of Rubicon's tank he dubbed "kitty killer", I've decided mine will be called "kopy kat killer", although its adversary will be a T34/85 - Korea, Vietnam?

Click image for larger version  Name:	EFC308DD-BB84-42FA-AFC6-090A177994DA.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.5 KB ID:	306389
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
    A quick diversion from my other projects. I'd seen Rubicon99's Tamiya Pershing and I liked it's look, specifically the lack of "skirts". Toucan was selling a Heng Long static kit, and fortunately I have a buddy who is upgrading his MFU's so I have a line on HL 6.0's. I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think HL will upgrade this kit, at least not for a while, so "if it's to be, it's up to me". My first and only step so far is to remove the skirts on one side.

In honor of Rubicon's tank he dubbed "kitty killer", I've decided mine will be called "kopy kat killer", although its adversary will be a T34/85 - Korea, Vietnam?

Click image for larger version Name:	EFC308DD-BB84-42FA-AFC6-090A177994DA.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.5 KB ID:	306389
    Good start. I removed the skirts on my old HL Pershing and it made a huge difference in improving the looks.

Since you are building it, I would recommend getting the metal road wheels, suspension arms and metal sprockets. But keep the plastic idler wheels. The metal idler wheels like to cause de-tracking issues when the tank is driven in reverse. A note: Almost all of the suspension components and road wheels are interchangeable with your M41. HL just reused the parts from the M41 when they made the M26.

Here is some other anecdotal information:

The M41 tracks and sprockets will work on the M26 and vis versa. Though you would have to add links to the M41 tracks and take a few from the M26 to do the swap, super easy.

The M26 and M41 can both use the Abrams sprockets with Abrams/Leopard 2 tracks. They can also use T72/90 tracks in combination with the M26 sprockets.

The best “classic” look M26 aftermarket tracks to use are Tamiya M26 tracks followed by Mato all metal M26 tracks. On my old HL Pershing I used ALL the above combinations and they all worked great.

Can’t wait to see “kopy kat killer” when she is finished and on the field. We can have a team hunt and bag ourselves some lion and tiger trophies....

My old HL M26 in early/mid 1960s Italian Army reserve/training unit scheme...kind of, about, close enough LoL
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7EACB611-2EDE-4FC8-B4B2-D693A6EF9DB9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	222.8 KB ID:	306393

Shown below with Abrams tracks and sprockets.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2FFFC43A-6296-4D77-A572-6AAF54DF8A78.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	381.6 KB ID:	306394

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Good start. I removed the skirts on my old HL Pershing and it made a huge difference in improving the looks.

Since you are building it, I would recommend getting the metal road wheels. suspension arms and metal sprockets. But keep the plastic idler wheels. The metal idler wheels like to cause de-tracking issues when the tank is driven in reverse. A note: Almost all of the suspension components and road wheels are interchangeable with your M41. HL just reused the parts from the M41 when they made the M26.

Here is some other anecdotal information:

The M41 tracks and sprockets will work on the M26 and vis versa. Though you would have to add links to the M41 tracks and take a few from the M26 to do the swap, super easy.

The M26 and M41 can both use the Abrams sprockets with Abrams/Leopard 2 tracks. They can also use T72/90 tracks in combination with the M26 sprockets.

The best “classic” look M26 aftermarket tracks to use are Tamiya M26 tracks followed by Mato all metal M26 tracks. On my old HL Pershing I used ALL the above combinations and they all worked great.

Can’t wait to see “kopy kat killer” when she is finished and on the field. We can have a team hunt and bag ourselves some lion and tiger trophies....LoL

Great advice! It's nice to know about upgrade paths! How did HL come to call it a "snow leopard"? I also notice they called the Jadgpanther a "cheetah". Just random marketing?

Comment

Great advice! It's nice to know about upgrade paths! How did HL come to call it a "snow leopard"? I also notice they called the Jadgpanther a "cheetah". Just random marketing?
        Might have been what the Chinese called it during Korean War. Or they wanted to capture the hole German “cat” themed names thinking it would sell better if people thought it was a German tank? Other then that I have no idea.

Comment

The Flakpanzer was called the Cheetah (Gepard).
          If I remember right the Chinese had an armored vehicle of some type called a Snow Leopard. Not a tank though.
          HL is just making stuff up.
          Steve

Comment

The Henglong Pershing is a great model with so much potential and it performs well. I built one for a customer by upgrading it with a Tamiya barrel since the henglong was cut short to fit in its box.
            I also found that the tank could use some added ballast weight to make it perform just a bit better since it’s so light for its size.
            ive drivin my Tamiya chassis that is becoming my M47, around a bit and found it performed quite like that henglong I built.
            RC tank parts and accessories I make
            www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Ok, tank is re-wired for 6.0 except for putting an IR bulb in the barrel.

Now I have to put on the necessary separate parts before a first paint coat. There are more holes in the upper hull than in swiss cheese. I can guess where most parts go by matching them to the size and configuration of the holes and pictures on the internet, but that's like doing a jigsaw puzzle with only tiny internet photos to go by! No instructions in these static kits.

Rubicon, I did test the de-tracking in reverse, and it does occur. It took spin turns to make it do it though. And Rich, I can see that it could use some nose weight.

Comment

Hey guys, I'm looking for some external stowage for my M26. It comes with a bunch of ammo and gas cans, and wooden boxes, but I'd prefer rolled tarps etc., for variation. I'd like resin or something other than pieces of cloth, if you know what I mean.

Woops, never mind. Found what I was looking for, by ValueGear.

Comment

Yes value gear is where I get most of my stowage. I have a massive box of his products lol. I usually buy 3 packs at a time to cut shipping cost and then everybody picks out of my box when they come visit lol...
                  RC tank parts and accessories I make
                  www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Finally figured where the tank commander that HL includes in their US tanks come from. It’s an unusual pose, or was until I got an M26 Pershing. One hand on the hatch sill, one holding the hatch. Now if I was a suspicious type, I might think it was cloned from the Tamiya M26!

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD061469-CACA-4496-B07D-F726273D563C.jpeg
Views:	674
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	307062
                    Attached Files

Comment

I noticed that also when I got my Pershing.
                      Wasn't sure what that guy was supposed to be doing at first. Throwing a grenade maybe??
                      HL stuff is almost all copied from Tamiya including the soldier offering the dog a treat on the Stug.
                      I don't mind at all considering the price difference.
                      Steve

Comment

My 2005 vantage Pershing Henglong is VIP. Version 5.3 control works amazingly well. The driving experience is world ahead of the original 27 MHz RC. Metal gearbox and track kept breaking down and is waiting for the bearing version of gearbox and 390 motor.

My first metal gear set was from Tamtoys.de. It was casted oversized and cannot fit the Henglong gearbox frame. The Mato metal gear and track can run, but I will pick up several track endcap around the basement every time. Some of the metal endcap were broken when fell off. I am considering using the plastic track endcap on the Mato track. (Anyone had tried that?) I kept the plastic idle wheels, but it did not help very much. I suspect that the normal version (non-bearing) gearbox has too much vibration that contributed to the Mato track problem.

I have to move the TK5.3 to the front because nowhere else has enough vertical room. The speaker is half the frame of the new speaker which is much smaller than the original.

Name:	IMG_4959.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	308290
                        I will update my report after the new gearbox arrives next week.

Comment

Progress: static kit from Toucan, MFU 6.0 and IR LED circuits and a speaker added, decals from Archer Fine Transfers. Korea? Vietnam? Still needs some toning of the weathering and the addition of stores carried externally - boxes, tarps, etc.

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	308636

Name:	IMG_1343.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	308637

Better than this, anyway!

Name:	M26 12.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	308638

Comment

Progress: static kit from Toucan, MFU 6.0 and IR LED circuits and a speaker added, decals from Archer Fine Transfers. Korea? Vietnam? Still needs some toning of the weathering and the addition of stores carried externally - boxes, tarps, etc.

Name:	IMG_1342.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	308636

Name:	IMG_1343.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	308637

Better than this, anyway!

Name:	M26 12.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	308638
                            Dang that looks GREAT!!! It is amazing what a little tweaking here and there, good paint and weathering work can do to improve a model.👍👍👍👍

Comment

Nice work Bob!
                              Steve

Comment

Great work again! You really mastered the weathering without overdoing it. The Pershing looks particularly realistic!

Comment

Does anyone know for sure at what point in time the Pershings started going without the side skirts?
                                  I like the look but I would like to stay in the WWII era.
                                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by UltraVargen View Post
                                    Great work again! You really mastered the weathering without overdoing it. The Pershing looks particularly realistic!
                                    Thanks guys! It actually is the “dirtiest” tank I’ve done. Grime and dust, those are unavoidable in the field, but mud and caked dirt? No tank crew would allow that to accumulate if they could help it. No “mud wallow” for me! Internet photos have become invaluable for looking at the conditions tanks are in while in the field. In this case, driving down a red dirt road for a couple of hours will cover a tank, especially if it isn’t the front of the convoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post
                                      Does anyone know for sure at what point in time the Pershings started going without the side skirts?
                                      I like the look but I would like to stay in the WWII era.
                                      Steve
                                      Almost from day one of their deployment were the crews pulling off the skirts. The skirts were a PIA for the crews to check track tensioning daily and so off they came. Lot of WWII photos of the M26 without skirts.

Comment

Bob, what an amazing finish comparing to the original picture. Thank you for sharing how to install the Lego DEI using pvc pipe fitting on Sunday's morning Battle day with me. I definitely will now thinking about my next tank to be the M-26 just like u and Rubicon. I hope it is not too difficult to put together..

Comment

Working...
                                        X