X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
    Progress: static kit from Toucan, MFU 6.0 and IR LED circuits and a speaker added, decals from Archer Fine Transfers. Korea? Vietnam? Still needs some toning of the weathering and the addition of stores carried externally - boxes, tarps, etc.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1342.jpg Views:	357 Size:	332.4 KB ID:	308636

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1343.jpg Views:	347 Size:	330.7 KB ID:	308637

Better than this, anyway!

Click image for larger version  Name:	M26 12.jpg Views:	334 Size:	271.2 KB ID:	308638
    what colour green should i paint my tank ?

Comment

Originally posted by mrmetallica View Post

what colour green should i paint my tank ?
      I used Tamiya's TS-5 spray can. Usually takes two. The dirt is primarily AK's "vietnam earth".
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I used Tamiya's TS-5 spray can. Usually takes two. The dirt is primarily AK's "vietnam earth".
        Ok thank you 😊

Comment

As keilau said, it's an early Heng Long brand M26 Pershing. HL called it a Snow Leopard, hence the decal. You'll need a HL transmitter and main board. A new HL version 7.0 setup can cost $80 to $100 in the US. HL version 6.0 setup can cost $60 or so, but they're getting scarce. You then will need to do your own wiring. You can find schematics online, or if you buy a new setup there'll be an instruction sheet with it. The board includes the receiver, and will control the two movement motors, the rotation and elevation motors in the turret and if your tank is a pellet shooting version, the airsoft gun. A piece of advice, don't buy anything earlier, such as 5.3 version or RX18 I think it's called. They're much cruder and you wouldn't be happy.

I recommend you buy the bare minimum components for now. No need for metal upgrade tracks or aftermarket gearboxes until you know what you already have works. The plastic gears can become brittle, the motors could have burned out, and even the body itself may have degraded and could break under use. Also, before you start spending money to renovate this tank, compare the costs involved with the price of a new one. You may find that a renovation isn't cost effective. It appears that some of the external details like a hatch and stowage bins missing.

Now, if you're intent on making this a "scrounge project", you can always look for used stuff online. I'm guessing based on your post you're in the UK. A UK forum called "RC Tank Warfare" would have good local resources for your project. However, they're often focused on "rivet counting" scale accuracy, so you may encounter some condescending responses.

If you persevere, the Pershing can make up into a real gem. Just be warned, tanks are like potato chips, you can't ever have just one! However you proceed, good luck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	373863
          your right just bought a tiger lol

Comment

It is strongly recommended that you get a good electrical schematic of your current Pershing wiring before you start. Heng Long do a very good job making their tank backward compatible. I upgraded from a 2005 Snow Leopard with discrete receiver board to RX-18 27MHz MB to v5.3 2.4GHz to V6.0S 2.4GHz without losing any turret function and greatly improve the driving quality. The V6.0S MB is cheap and has very good proportional speed control. I see no reason to go with the more expensive 7.0/7.1.

Heng Long use M3 self tapping crews for gearbox mounting. My Pershing was purchased in 2005, After 18 years, 2 of the mounting posts crack making it impossible to tighten the screws. The gearbox came loose and causing the track to wobble. I drilled through the bottom of the post and tap the inside for M3 machine thread. I mounted the gearbox with 6 pair of nut and bolts. There is no question that the posts are still stronge enough to hold the gearbox. The nut and bolt set make it very stable.

I cannot blame HL for the post cracking problem. Over the years, I went through the HL original plastic gear, Tamboy (German store) cast metal gear, Heng Xin steel gear and the Torro steel gear. I am happy that the HL chassis holds up as well as it does.​

Comment

Take pictures of the wiring with your smartphone before you start a wiring job. Everyone seems to have a smartphone now.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post
                It is strongly recommended that you get a good electrical schematic of your current Pershing wiring before you start. Heng Long do a very good job making their tank backward compatible. I upgraded from a 2005 Snow Leopard with discrete receiver board to RX-18 27MHz MB to v5.3 2.4GHz to V6.0S 2.4GHz without losing any turret function and greatly improve the driving quality. The V6.0S MB is cheap and has very good proportional speed control. I see no reason to go with the more expensive 7.0/7.1.

Heng Long use M3 self tapping crews for gearbox mounting. My Pershing was purchased in 2005, After 18 years, 2 of the mounting posts crack making it impossible to tighten the screws. The gearbox came loose and causing the track to wobble. I drilled through the bottom of the post and tap the inside for M3 machine thread. I mounted the gearbox with 6 pair of nut and bolts. There is no question that the posts are still stronge enough to hold the gearbox. The nut and bolt set make it very stable.

I cannot blame HL for the post cracking problem. Over the years, I went through the HL original plastic gear, Tamboy (German store) cast metal gear, Heng Xin steel gear and the Torro steel gear. I am happy that the HL chassis holds up as well as it does.​
                i hope you mean me. im putting in a 7.1 version board got all the connectors plan thank you

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                  Take pictures of the wiring with your smartphone before you start a wiring job. Everyone seems to have a smartphone now.
                  will do

Comment

My latest upgrade on the historic 2005 HL Pershing is the HL metal barrel recoil BB shooting unit.

A few days ago, I posted on a Heng Long Metal Barrel Recoil BB shooting unit for 3838 Pershing upgrade kit that I purchased for my 2005 Snow Leopard. I said that over 18 years, HL changed the cannon mantle mounting plate enough that the kit does not fit my Pershing. I contact the Toucan seller (build-for-u) to request a return. They got back to me in a few days after talking to the HL technical team. They came up with the idea of swapping the old mounting plate to the new unit. It works, but it is not a simple direct drop-in replacement. It took me 2 days of careful griding and cutting. .

The Metal Barrel Recoil BB shooting unit works with TK-6.0/7.0 without any electrical modification. Just connect the recoil motor to CN6. I have upgraded the Pershing with a TK-6.0S MB which works together very well.

Name:	recoil_cannon.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	378855Click image for larger version

Name:	removebarrel.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	378854
                    If you have a very old Pershing like I do, the upgrade is not recommended because it requires too many try and fit steps. If you have a newer version of Pershing, the "metal barrel recoil BB shooting unit" kit should fit as is and is highly recommended.​ You can see that the upgraded tank has the longer, more correct barrel.

Name:	IMG_5167.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	378856Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5176.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	378857

Comment

Working on another Pershing myself....I did a respray with Tamiya XF-62, going for early Korean war era. Normally I would cut off the fenders as I like the look a lot better, but this is going to be more of a "loaner" tank for my small tank club here in FL, so decided to keep things simple. Also blacked the metal tracks with Birchwood Casey "Brass Black" (my favorite method), followed by a rust wash and then sealed with dullcoat. I let the tracks wear naturally after that and I htink it gives a pretty realistic look without going overboard and it's a very easy process.

Comment

Working...
                      X