X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panzer 1 B

Fuchstraumer, UltraVargen, you guys are evil! Tempting me to do a Panzer 1B. I'd contemplated trying offerings from Ludwig, but the prices drove me off. When Fuchstraumer reminded me about the Takom 1/16 static kit, my mind began percolating. First I saw a Youtube assembly video by Andy of Andy's Hobby Headquarters. By the way, I highly recommend his videos. I learned sponging and flaking weathering techniques from them. Looking at the Takom kit, I saw the lower hull is in one piece, much like HL tanks. Replacing plastic suspension parts with brass axles and fittings seemed a possibility. The individual link tracks look like HL stuff, but with plastic link pins instead of metal. Easy enough to fashion metal ones from wire. Finally, I saw an interior shot of HL's 1/30 scale M4 Sherman rc tank. As Gene Wilder said in Young Frankenstein, "IT. COULD. WORK!".

We'll see. The HL tank is readily available, but the Takom tank not so much. I found sources in Poland, France and Japan. On a whim, I checked Andy's in Arizona, only one state over from me. Yep!

Anyway, this'll be an occasional thread, with silent periods in between. Just had to share this much today, though.
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

THIS Click image for larger version

Name:	Panzer 1B 01.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	310648 PLUS THIS Click image for larger version

Name:	Panzer 1B 02.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	310650

EQUALS ?
    Attached Files

Comment

I have that panzer 1 kit. And most of the RC adapter kit. Mising the miniature electronics. I got it all and lost interest in it
      RC tank parts and accessories I make
      www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Rich, you mentioned an r/c adapter kit. Is there a dedicated one? If so, point the way! Thanks.

Comment

Here we go, really interested how this will turn out and if it will be feasible.

Comment

It was made by rc35 but long gone I got mine from a guy that just wanted the electronics.
            ide sell ya my new tank kit and that rc kit if you want. I’m never gonna build it.

Comment

Rich, my tanks has shipped. I’ve ordered metal tracks. Now I’m looking for suspension parts, especially sprockets and idlers. What’s in the kit you have?

Comment

So I was mistaken as to what I had bought. Here is the Panzer 38T aka Panzer 2 I have with the RC kit. Its quite a cool thing I just dont think I will ever get to it since I have no interest in German tanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1747.JPG
Views:	666
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	310782Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1748.JPG
Views:	598
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	310783Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1749.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	310785Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1750.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	310784

Comment

I'll have to pass, Rich, but thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                    Fuchstraumer, UltraVargen, you guys are evil! Tempting me to do a Panzer 1B. I'd contemplated trying offerings from Ludwig, but the prices drove me off. When Fuchstraumer reminded me about the Takom 1/16 static kit, my mind began percolating. First I saw a Youtube assembly video by Andy of Andy's Hobby Headquarters. By the way, I highly recommend his videos. I learned sponging and flaking weathering techniques from them. Looking at the Takom kit, I saw the lower hull is in one piece, much like HL tanks. Replacing plastic suspension parts with brass axles and fittings seemed a possibility. The individual link tracks look like HL stuff, but with plastic link pins instead of metal. Easy enough to fashion metal ones from wire. Finally, I saw an interior shot of HL's 1/30 scale M4 Sherman rc tank. As Gene Wilder said in Young Frankenstein, "IT. COULD. WORK!".

We'll see. The HL tank is readily available, but the Takom tank not so much. I found sources in Poland, France and Japan. On a whim, I checked Andy's in Arizona, only one state over from me. Yep!

Anyway, this'll be an occasional thread, with silent periods in between. Just had to share this much today, though.
                    Andy's ok....but Martin Kovac (Night Shift) is GOD.

Comment

So my first upgrade...R-Model (from China of course) sells metal tracks for a Panzer 1B. They're on their way - well, due in June! There's a voluminous Pz 1B thread on the RC Tank Warfare forum. Too much for me, bearings on return rollers! My HL tanks don't have those! But a lot of good info.

Speaking of Andy, the tank cost $60 plus $10 shipping. I saw one on eBay for $177! Not gonna happen..

Comment

Now the gamble begins...again, as with my M3 Lee build, I'm trying to use inexpensive components. I don't intend for this tank to rumble with the big boys in the sand. So, I bought a Heng Long RTR 1:30 M4 Sherman. For $50 bucks you get motors, sound, radio control, lights, etc. They're sorta cute, kind of a shame to dismember it for this project. maybe I can take it apart in such a way that I can reassemble it if it proves unsuitable for the PzKfw 1.

I haven't opened up the shell yet, but it looks like it's screwed together, like 1:16 but smaller.

For those unfamiliar with this tank (I was), here's a photo; packaged, opened, activated and next to the P1 tub. The transmitter is 2.4ghz. On/off switch, tank start switch, two buttons on top for MG and main gun. Four red lights on top to register hits, a half buried IR receiver on the hatch, a red hull MG light, headlights. Sound is similar to 1:16 but tinnier of course. Turret traverses but barrel doesn't elevate. 3 AA batteries for the Tx, a 1 cell lithium battery and a USB charger for it.

Control is Mode 1, Tamiya style. I'll be opening it up in the next day or so.

Name:	F38B2F88-D334-42FD-B2C2-C6621C2D331D.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	311363

Maybe I'll practice weathering techniques on the shell once it's been gutted. Use everything, I say!

Rubicon, there's a Pershing! 🤩

Comment

Curious, I hope it will work transplanting the innards of the Sherman to the static Panzer 1. If it works you're really onto something!

Comment

Temptation? Gratification? Zero time interval!

I opened up the Sherman. There's a lot of potential there! Upper left shows the setup. gearbox in front MFU on top of it, turret gear and motor, and speaker in the rear. Upper right shows the gearbox and front axle. The axle is stationary, the left and right gears rotate freely on the axle, and the sprocket press fits on the gear. Lower left shows the turret rotation motor and gear. Lower right shows the various plugins; power, motors, lights, sound, and IR.

I'll need a longer front axle, and keepers for the gears to mesh. The turret gear is precisely the diameter of the turret ring, but it will need a standoff to align with the pinion gear. Pictures as this progresses.

Comment

Curious to see how this goes for you! Seeing that Sherman tub is a pretty good way to show how tiny these tankettes are, I really forget that they're quite miniscule. It reminds me of putting my 1/35 AML-90 armored car next to a Chieftain Mk11 - they seem wholly incongruous!

Comment

Always something. On post #14, you see on the upper right corner the HL gearbox; solid axle, free turning gears with the last two fitting into the transmission humps on the hull. The 1B has the same set of humps, but farther apart! If I were to leave the gear trains intact, the last two would not fit into the hull front. I thought I was stumped, but tried an experiment. I cut the transmission in halves, and made longer axles out of 2mm metal stock. It works!

Here's the gearbox with the top off.

Name:	Panzer 1B 04.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	311599

Here's the gearbox split in half. One side has the top on. there may need to be some more trimming, but that's for later.

Name:	Panzer 1B 03.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	311600

Comment

This is going to work! We'll have to keep pushing you, this is a great project!

What are the inner dimensions on the Panzer I lower hull? I'm curious if actual 1/16 Heng Long components could fit in there.

Comment

Wall to wall inside is 7.7cm. Total length of the tub is 27.4cm. Tub floor to deck level is 4cm. However, the critical limitation is the front (transmission) wall. There wouldn't be enough clearance I believe and the front glacis will be very close to the gearboxes. Also, this is a 3.7 volt system, so it'd be hard to mix 1:16 and 1:30 components.

Name:	IMG_1438.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	311723

Comment

In a project like this, I do a lot of dry-fitting. One has to, to figure out what fits. This dry-fit is just for fun though!

Name:	IMG_1440.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	311726

Comment

That's not that much smaller than the Panzer III. I was thinking maybe 1/16 size motors would fit, but using the 1/30 size gears. Use most of the rest of the 1/16 electronics.
                                        Might be overkill though, as I assume the kit is made of styrene, so more fragile than the 1/16 tanks.

Comment

Working...
                                        X