Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The perspective on that last photo may have been misleading. Here is a side by side with a Panzer III.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	311874

And yes, it's fragile. A build thread on RC Tank Warfare shows almost all moving parts upgraded to metal. I don't expect to do all that, for me this is a limited exercise using specific resources. Practice for the Holy Grail, a 3D printed Russian T-35 tank!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3064387

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sBNFLwlPqI

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Ah ok, now it does look like quite the difference in size. Not much room there for "big" electronics.

That T-35 is not my cup of tea (too utilitarian, not enough aesthetics). But it must be a very cool project to do!

Comment

Phase One success!

I've adapted the HL 1:30 electronics and mechanics to the running gear. Still some tweaking to do, but here's proof it runs! 97 track individual track links and pins on each side, lots of brass tubing for bushings, almost every tool I own, and nuts and bolts accumulated over 30 years of r/c flying, building and repairing. I grabbed hints and tips from a comprehensive build thread on RC Tank Warfare, without which I would have despaired. I've managed to make nearly everything removable, for maintenance, repairs and upgrading. I've already removed two links on each side because the plastic skeleton tracks are stretching with use. I do have some metal tracks enroute from China.

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	312265

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Very nice! Surprising how well it seems to roll. Can't wait to see the metal tracks on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
              Phase One success!

I've adapted the HL 1:30 electronics and mechanics to the running gear. Still some tweaking to do, but here's proof it runs! 97 track individual track links and pins on each side, lots of brass tubing for bushings, almost every tool I own, and nuts and bolts accumulated over 30 years of r/c flying, building and repairing. I grabbed hints and tips from a comprehensive build thread on RC Tank Warfare, without which I would have despaired. I've managed to make nearly everything removable, for maintenance, repairs and upgrading. I've already removed two links on each side because the plastic skeleton tracks are stretching with use. I do have some metal tracks enroute from China.

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	312265

fantastic stuff! I'm not sure Takom had any idea how many tanker nerds and craftspeople like us they were about to set off by releasing this thing in 1/16, but I'm sure glad they did

Comment

Originally posted by fuchstraumer View Post

fantastic stuff! I'm not sure Takom had any idea how many tanker nerds and craftspeople like us they were about to set off by releasing this thing in 1/16, but I'm sure glad they did
                How true! However, any time someone says something dismissive like "boys and their toys", I point out that there are whole industries supporting us! Case in point, the 1:16 metal track upgrade I have coming from China. There have to be enough of us for it to make it economically viable for a factory to produce something like that!

Ok, mechanics are working for now, so it's time to decorate! First base coat on, couple of figures for scale.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1453.jpg Views:	0 Size:	285.1 KB ID:	312429

So why am I doing this project? Nostalgia. Here's a Panzer 1A at the now defunct Military vehicle Technology Foundation museum in San Jose, California, with a figure (me) for scale! 😉

Click image for larger version  Name:	Panzer 1 02.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	312430

Speaking of us nerds, any error stand out? skcart era no sdrawkcab, at least from period pictures of the real ones.

So, what's next to it on the left and right?

Comment

Nice work on your project!

Panzer IV on the left(?) and a Matilda on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Barmonkey View Post
                    Nice work on your project!

Panzer IV on the left(?) and a Matilda on the right.
                    Excellent, right both times - the Matilda is easy, I mean light blue? The Panzer 4 was harder.

Name:	Panzer IV 03.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	312447

Comment

Hey...First post and I am a winner!!! What can I say. The only clue I had for the Panzer IV was the triangle support piece on the fender. I recently built a 1/35 Tamiya PzIV...

Comment

Another progress snippet. In this, it's painted and decaled, no turret or weathering yet. It drives like a 27mhz 1:16 scale HL tank, quick and jerky! Most of that is due to the large sprocket wheel mated to the 1:30 scale Sherman gearbox.

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	312588

Comment

That came along real quick. :)

Comment

Final test; painted, weathered, running on dirt & sand.

I like the Heng Long electronics, the weakest part was the transmission from the gearbox to the sprocket wheels. The wheels kept slipping. Took some glueing. A lock washer would have been the best solution, but I didn't know that until after it was all assembled. Still, it runs fine. Could be slower though. The plastic individual link tracks and plastic link pins are holding up better than I'd hoped.

Name:	IMG_E1465.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	312898

Comment

Just an addendum:

I got a Heng Long 1:30 Sherman r/c tank, and an Arduino robot tank chassis. The chassis gearboxes are separate, which will eliminate the splitting I had to do with the HL box. They work fine together, except that the Arduino gearing doesn't reduce as much, making for a squirrelly tank! Maybe more weight will tame it down. I'm planning a Takom DAK Pzkfw 1 A and an Ammo PzKfw 1 A Breda in the future.

Comment

I am taking my hat off to you. I have the same tank too. It took me quite a long time to link those tracks together and they were so thin and fragile. I broke about 20 of those pins. I was amazed how you could have it rolling with those pins holding those tracks. I just have mine on display for now :-)

Name:	PANZER I.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	315452

Comment

Nice paint job! Regarding the pins, after breaking a few putting them in I found a trick. I used a hobby t-pin which was the same thickness as the pins, inserted it in the links to align them, then took the pin out carefully so the holes stayed aligned. The plastic pins slipped easily.

None have broken in use, but I’m keeping spares around just in case!

Comment

Ok, update on track pins. Yes, they do break, and so do the links. After using my 1B for a few weeks, I decided to remove the plastic track and install some metal ones I'd bought from China. Maybe 30% of the pins and 10% of the links had fractured but were still holding together because of where they broke. One potential contributing factor was my weathering them with washes and paint. This undoubtedly increased the overall friction during motion.

Bottom line, a plastic model kit can be converted to r/c, but it ain't the same as a real r/c tank! It's great to show off at a meet, though.

Ran across another issue, too. In a subsequent build of a PzKpfw 1A I used the arduino transmission I mentioned in post 34. The motors are quite weak, and stall sometimes when trying to pivot the tank on a rough surface. Looking for another option.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                      Just an addendum:

I got a Heng Long 1:30 Sherman r/c tank, and an Arduino robot tank chassis. The chassis gearboxes are separate, which will eliminate the splitting I had to do with the HL box. They work fine together, except that the Arduino gearing doesn't reduce as much, making for a squirrelly tank! Maybe more weight will tame it down. I'm planning a Takom DAK Pzkfw 1 A and an Ammo PzKfw 1 A Breda in the future.
                                      A guy near my work was selling this tank for $40. So I grabbed it :-)

Name:	IMG_0895A.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	350390

Comment

Very nice, David. Thinking of r/c'ing it? If so, some pieces of advice; as I noted above, the Arduino motors are too weak. The HL setup from earlier work well except for having to split the transmission case. The HL board gives you sound and works very similar to their 1/16 boards. You'll need the metal tracks, as the plastic ones break in use. I bought mine from Tank Zheng on AE. Also on AE, I saw a number of motor gearbox setups for sale, different sizes and dimensions. You might check there.

Of course, if you're just going to static display it, disregard the above.

If you like the Panzer 1's there is another kit out there, the Panzer 1A Breda, from the Spanish Civil War:

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	350392Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	350393

It was a limited edition, not still generally available. You may find it at 1999jp, but at a premium price. It is based on the Takom kit. I own it in the box, it's in my "someday" file.

It seems like Takom is getting into 1/16 scale kits in a big way (pun intended). Now here's one I'd buy in a heartbeat if they ever modelled it; the "Bison". A 15cm field piece on a Pz 1 chassis, what could go wrong?

Name:	9b080363047527d35ed39981d4b37612.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	350395Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_inline_p2kg0woJYz1r4iznv_640.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	350394

Comment

Thanks Bob! I went to my local toy distribution center and grabbed this one. I hope to follow yours footsteps to use the gears inside and turn my Panzer IB into RC. I will attend the SD tank battle event on July 31st. If you plan to be there, kindly bring your Panzer I with you for me to admire and study :-)

Name:	IMG_0896A.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	350415

Comment

Working...
                                          X