X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading a static model?

I've been looking at panthers. I found this but it's basic model. I'm guessing it must have the gearboxes and maybe turret accessories right? I have been unable to find one RTR so thought i could do a build with this as the basis. Any help is appreciated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/22449645004...Cclp%3A2047675

As a start, the panther you are watching on Ebay is not a correct panther. It was a Tiger one with a panther turret and tools. Don't buy it. You should look for the one that has the model number 3879. I am doing the same. I already have my static panther. I have ordered the 6.0S cable sets, main board, speaker, steel gearbox, metal tracks and wheels. It takes forever to receive the parts from China. I am still waiting for them to arrive. Once I get the parts and install them, I can share my info with you. If anyone has done already, please share your work so we can learn. This is my first time trying to upgrade a static tank too. SocalBobs has a post about this. You can review it: Sturmgeschutz III - don't do this at home, kids!.

Comment

David's number is correct. You can also look for it as a "Panther G". I recommend you look at items that specify "US Stock".
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I can't seem to locate SocalBobs article. Does it cover taking a basic static display model to operational? Ordering parts from China is not something i want to get involved with. I still think my idea has some merit if conditions were different.

Comment

Hey guys. Knowing full well that there will be headaches in the future caused by this choice, I've bought a Heng Long Sturmgeschutz III. (Whisper: it has a 5.3 main board.) Why, you ask? Number of reasons. First, HL doesn't make a 6.0 version. I'm told by HL USA that they wouldn't make one until winter, if at all. Given this,

Comment

Here's my take on the "Static" tanks after buying two of them...

1) If you just want to detail and paint a 1/16 model tank then the price is OK. Beware, some of the tanks run from kind-of-scale to not scale at all. The "Panther" is apparently a fantasy model with Tiger I lower and an upper that somewhat resembles an actual Panther.

2) If you plan to do some serious modifications to the tank...it may be an OK deal. This would include things like using one of the higher end MFUs or adapting a resin hull.

3) If you already own a 6.0 Heng Long tank, you will have a controller and battery. In that case you could update the MFU in the static tank. You will need to do some soldering. It's an OK deal.

4) If you do not have a Heng Long 6.0 tank, You will need the MFU, Controller, battery, speaker (may or may not be included), smoker unit (optional), and soldering skills. This all adds up.The cost will quickly exceed the cost of a complete base tank. For example, you could get a complete Panzer III for only $50 more than the static model.

As a side note...If you want metal tracks, drive wheels, Steel gearbox etc., if would be less expensive to purchase a model that is kitted out that way. Purchasing those items separate will be much more expensive in the long run.

Comment

I agree with Barmonkey's points. However, the static route is an option for models that just aren't available in v6.0 versions, or even at all. I upgraded a StuG III from v5.3 to v6.0 by changing out the MFU (and some simple soldering). I've converted a static Sherman to a M3 Lee, a static M26 Pershing to v6.0, and am converting a static PzKpfw IV to a v6.0 StuG IV. It's also a fun learning and confidence building experience to disassemble, modify and rebuild one of these tanks.

One point deserves repeating here; why upgrade from a 5.3 to a 6.0 version? MUCH better driving control! I've owned pre-2.4g tanks, thought they were cool, but once I've driven a v6.0, I'd never go back.

Lastly, regarding costs, my motto is "money is just fun you haven't had yet"!

Comment

Barmonkey, i hear you. But ready to run is NOT available and won't be any time soon as far as i can figure. I just ordered the 3879 static model along with a matching steel gearbox set. I'm not sure about the 6.0 vs. the 6.1 receiver so i held off on ordering that. I have to research the difference. I know i don't want the 7.0. It only has T-34 and Abrams sound

Comment

Bob, my son ordered a King Tiger from Toucan. It came as a 5.3 which is a joke as far as i'm concerned. It also had broken items (QC problem). The 3 tanks i have are all 6.0 and the difference is night and day. He's having a hell of a time getting a refund. Their business model is a joke! I'm looking forward to working up the Panther. Not sure which board to order between 6.0 & 6.1.

Comment

Thank you Barmonkey for your detailed post. Very helpful! At this time, the panther RTR is not available in the US market. So we have no alternative but to get the static one and upgrade. The gearboxes and the main boards are available in US stores. The cable set and speakers are probably have to be ordered from China. A few weeks ago, I did not want to order the cable set because of the long wait. I decided to go to the local electrical store and bought electrical wires and parts to upgrade. It was a waste of time and money and I couldn't get any static tank to run. It's also because I don't have much electrical knowledge :-). I just opened all my tanks up and try to copy the set ups in the RTRs and applied to the statics. One thing I noticed, the power switch in the old static tank does not work with the 6.0 main board.

Comment

I did fail to mention the part about the otherwise unavailable tanks. Should have included that one for sure. That is the reason I purchased the Panther G and Stug.

Comment

Originally posted by thebates View Post
                        Barmonkey, i hear you. But ready to run is NOT available and won't be any time soon as far as i can figure. I just ordered the 3879 static model along with a matching steel gearbox set. I'm not sure about the 6.0 vs. the 6.1 receiver so i held off on ordering that. I have to research the difference. I know i don't want the 7.0. It only has T-34 and Abrams sound
                        Congratulations on ordering right Panther! Interested to see what components yours has when you get it. My Panther G had a basic FM board with no sound, IR or smoke unit...very basic. The 6.0, 6.1 and 7.0 generations use a 2 pin JST XH connector for just about everything except for the motor connectors and LED lights. The 8-pin connector was eliminated. The turret rotation motor will plug right in to the newer boards. If using the older gearbox, you will need to replace the connectors with the Tamiya bullet connectors.

The biggest issue is with the BB unit and barrel elevation. For some reason, the older boards combined what is now two JST connectors into one three pin connector. This can be sorted out and made to work with some new JST connectors and some soldering. In my case I purchased a new 6.0 BB unit for my Panther. Since my Panther was so basic (and without sound) the BB unit did not have the little solenoid that triggers the gun sound. I could have added one, but did not know where to buy the solenoid in the USA. I soldered JST leads to the barrel elevation motor and all is well. Mostly, that is. My new BB unit may fire or spit two or three BBs out LOL...

Comment

The correct connectors are JST XH 2.54

Something like this
                          Attached Files

Comment

theBates, here's some info regarding the v6.0 series:

TK 6 & 6.1 SERIES MFU FEATURES

TK6.0 = Proportional everything, IR, airsoft, adjustable track recoil, adjustable turning/speed/etc ("expo")

TK6.0S = TK6.0 with a better smoker circuit

TK6.1 = TK6.0S with ports for cannon recoil servo, cannon elevation servo, light sensor, and cannon stabilizer (gyro)

TK6.1S = TK6.1 with higher ampacity (160A), New Separate Steering & Driving Combo Motors compatability.

If you don't need the extra features, v6.0 is sufficient. As far as Toucan, or any web purchase, read the specs VERY carefully. I looked at theBates' Yahoo store listing; all sorts of drop-down options. To paraphrase, "read twice, order once".

DavidN. The power switch works differently on v6.0. It goes directly into the MFU. If you haven't already, find the schematic for the 6.0 & 6.1, either here or on Google Images.

Comment

That's good stuff Bob. When unloading old obsolete systems i noticed they are very careful not to mention 5.3. VERY careful.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7010-1.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	318155

A long line of static tanks that are in the need of the cable sets and speakers from China :-) The 6.0S main boards are already inside.

Comment

Nice! Work is cut out for you!

Comment

My cables, speakers and wires arrived. I installed them from observing the other RTR tanks that I have. The binding process was simple. At this time, one of my static tanks is running. The headlights are on. The machine gun sound is on with red light flashing. The turret is turning and elevating. The gun fires. I took me three hours to get it done. I accidentally burned one main board by leaving the battery hooked in while connecting the wires and cables, but I am happy at this time. Thank you...Bob and Rubicon! So "thebates", if your tank already has the speaker and the zinc gearbox and you don't want to upgrade them, then it would cost you around $40. To change gearbox and speaker, another $40-$50. To have metal idler, sprocket and tracks, $100. And so on :-)

Comment

David, join the "fry the main board" club! Done it myself..

Comment

Working...
                                      X