Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LA Tank club

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time that I was involved in the 1/16 tank battle field. So intense :-) Met so many nice people. It was a very happy day for me.

Comment

Can a member in our forum kindly post the rule of battle for me to understand?

How many hits are allowed for a light, medium and heavy tanks to be considered killed?

How many seconds between each fire do I need to wait for light, medium, and heavy tank?

At this time, I narrow down my selections to a Panzer IV, a tiger I, and M41, and KV1. Are the panzer IV and the M 41 considered light or medium tanks? The tiger and the KV1 are considered heavy, correct? Any suggestion about the good or the bad on my four selections? For a beginner, I would like to have two. One for the axis and one for the allies. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
        Can a member in our forum kindly post the rule of battle for me to understand?

How many hits are allowed for a light, medium and heavy tanks to be considered killed?

How many seconds between each fire do I need to wait for light, medium, and heavy tank?

At this time, I narrow down my selections to a Panzer IV, a tiger I, and M41, and KV1. Are the panzer IV and the M 41 considered light or medium tanks? The tiger and the KV1 are considered heavy, correct? Any suggestion about the good or the bad on my four selections? For a beginner, I would like to have two. One for the axis and one for the allies. Thank you!
        Basics: Tamiya IR Protocols

Light tank = 3 hits and 3 seconds between each firing of main gun.

Medium tank = 5 hits and 5 seconds between each firing of main gun.

Heavy tank = 9 hits and 9 seconds between each firing of main gun.

With each class there is also a % power/speed reduction based on the number of hits received to simulate damage.

These protocols work well for WW2 tanks but fall short once modern tanks are added to the mix. Modern tanks when planning with mostly WW2 tanks are generally run as Medium or Heavy tanks.

Typically:

Panzer, M41 or Sherman sized tank is run as Light or Medium.

Pershing, Panther or assault gun sized tank is run as Medium or Heavy.

Tiger 1 and King Tigers sized tank is run as a Heavy.

Modern tanks vs modern tanks are run either Light or Medium to better mimic faster firing and greater lethality of modern guns.

The most important thing though is that your tank receiver hits reliably regardless of class. A tank that does not take hits reliable will upset other player rather quickly. If your tank receivers hits reliably then the majority of player will care less if you set a heavy to a medium, BUT will question if you set a light to a medium and especially care if a light to a heavy.

>> Heng Long tanks using the 6.0 ^ systems do not have the full Tamiya protocols and with the stock IR receiver do not receive hits reliably past 15 ft. With an upgraded IR receiver like the LegoDEI one the Heng Long system can become extremely reliably at receiving hits. Stock Heng Long tanks when in play with full Tamiya protocol tanks it is recommended to use the “6-6” rule of thumb. “6-6” = 6 hits and a count to 6 before firing another shot and the tank set on low power mode. These three things tend to balance out a battle that otherwise the stock Heng Long tank would have too huge of an advantage in.

This is the BASICS there is a bit more but following the above will get you on a field playing “fair” with other.

Comment

Is the KV-1 regarded as medium or heavy?

Comment

Technically it is a Heavy, but can be run as a Medium. No one really cares if it is run as a Medium because it will take 4 less hits to kill and thus and “easier” opponent.

As a Medium you give up armor for a slightly higher rate of fire. Personally I choose to give up armor and go with rate of fire as this is a better match with my style of play.

Comment

Does anyone plan to go to the LA tank battle event this Saturday?

Comment

Does anyone plan to go to the LA tank battle event this Saturday?
                They haven’t sent out a confirmation of the event date yet. With LAs nanny state COVID mandates I am hoping the event is still on🤞🤞.

Comment

I probably won't go this month, it's Labor Day weekend - crowds, traffic and family do's. October for sure.
                  Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

I am planning on going Saturday September 4th.
                    RC tank parts and accessories I make
                    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

For the LA battle this Saturday, anyone has confirmation yet? Thanks!

Comment

For the LA battle this Saturday, anyone has confirmation yet? Thanks!
                        Rich spoke with their organizer which said the event was still on. Emails should have gone out. They look like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2E64C4CE-695A-4A0F-86E3-14D36E74B99B.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	323821

Comment

Great! Thank you for the post. I have just checked my email. I received an hour ago.

Comment

After I joined this forum three months ago, I have learned to convert 18 of my static displayed tanks into RCs. After I attended the LA tank battle day last month, I have learned to convert one of my HL tanks from HL IR to LegoDEI IR system to take it to the battle this weekend ( I only bought one set of receiver ) . I would like to thank SoCal Bob, Rubicon and Rich Johnson the most for guiding me with so much info in understanding this hobby. You all are great!!!! By the way...the president of LA tank club is awesome.

Comment

Just want to share my very first HL converted IR tank for the LA battle this Saturday. Since the sizes of the receiver and the cupola are the same, can I just leave the receiver on top of the cupola or do I need to raise it up like most of the tanks in the club? It looks nicer just sitting on top.

Name:	IMG_7445.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	323873

Comment

Just want to share my very first HL converted IR tank for the LA battle this Saturday. Since the sizes of the receiver and the cupola are the same, can I just leave the receiver on top of the cupola or do I need to raise it up like most of the tanks in the club? It looks nicer just sitting on top.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7445.jpg Views:	0 Size:	287.7 KB ID:	323873
                                NO you do not need to raise it up. As long as the IR receivers are visible with a reasonably clear line of sight you are fine. This is especially true with the LegoDEI receivers as these have 4 built in IR receiver bulbs vs the 1 that the Tamiya receivers have. This makes them far more reliable at receiving hits and thus do not need to be mount “high” like the Tamiya IR receivers.

Comment

Thank you! Let's the fun begin :-)

Comment

Pictures from LA tank battle 09/04/2021:

Name:	IMG_7465.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	324039Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7467.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	324040Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7459.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	324041Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7468.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	324042

Comment

Name:	IMG_7476.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	324046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7471.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	324044Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7474.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	324045

Comment

Looks like you had a good time!!!

Comment

LA Tank Club had a promotional booth at the Pro Line By the Fire event yesterday. We were able to give out 50 biz cards and hope to draw more tank interest from the crowd. We were also able to have our tank roam around and play with other RC vehicles in their city.

Name:	IMG_7779.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	325608Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7782.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	325607Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7781.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	191.8 KB