Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am heading to Apple Valley with my RC Tiger for the Pro-line By the Fire Event tomorrow. I will continue these next steps from your pictures on this project Sunday.

Comment

Time for a break!

With the torsion suspension done, it’d be time to attach the wheels. But! There are 20 pie plate road wheels. Because they are “interleaved”, they need to be painted beforehand, as well as the hull sides behind them! This in turn means detail parts have to be glued before painting. I’ll be back when this is done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	22CCD061-4174-45DF-9640-E9696F082857.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	325532
      One last point: the wheel to axle tolerance is tight. I used a 4.8mm drill to ream the holes to make the wheels spin freely.

Attached Files
      Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Interesting project, Bob. Looking forward to following your progress.

Comment

Ok! I got all the bars through. I did not glue the gearboxes yet.

Name:	IMG_7816.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	325661

Comment

A tiny tease...

I successfully connected the MTC to a 4-channel Spektrum receiver. Only plugged the motor leads for now, not the turret. I'd love to say it was a one minute job, but getting the MTC plugs into the correct sockets was a fuster cluck. Anyway, for anyone setting theirs up, Plug 1 goes into the Aileron socket and Plug 2 into the Elevator socket. Once I get the wheels painted and installed, I'll have a chassis I can drive around!

Another detail; the idler wheel axle assembly isn't really engineered for actual operation, and sits loosely in it's location. To secure it from falling, I added a small screw inside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PzKpfw II L 13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.9 KB ID:	326067

Comment

The Luchs is a favourite of mine (not as favourite as Centurian 😎) and that model in the YT video is suberb, I love the main gun!

I've been resisting a tank, but if either of the above ever got released then I would trade my green light sabre for a red one and turn to the dark side.

Comment

Originally posted by The43rdHammer View Post
                The Luchs is a favourite of mine (not as favourite as Centurian 😎) and that model in the YT video is suberb, I love the main gun!

I've been resisting a tank, but if either of the above ever got released then I would trade my green light sabre for a red one and turn to the dark side.

Name:	Opera Momentopname_2021-10-01_142053_www.large.nl.png
Views:	338
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	326104
                Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1970 View Post

Name:	Opera Momentopname_2021-10-01_142053_www.large.nl.png
Views:	338
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	326104
                  Mmmmmmm …. Cookies ….

Comment

Major Milestone Achieved!

After painting the lower hull & suspension, I installed the wheels, plugged in a battery and tested the operation. Success! Here's a clip for proof.

How I did it. Actually, I have a few tips for anyone contemplating this project. Some things have to be changed for true mobility. First, I still haven't secured the torsion bars to the body, good that I didn't. The connection between the torsion bar and swing arm requires a hole drilled then a slot cut in the plastic for the bar to fit in. This makes it very fragile. Three broke off or became unglued. Use enough CA to give the joint strength. This in turn may require reaming the body hole the swing arm fits in. Use a 4.5mm drill to ream them as well as holes on some of the wheels. The system for attaching the wheels to the swing arms requires a careful application of glue. Too much in the wrong spot and it's jammed. This is why I haven't glued the torsion bars in yet. I may have to do some maintenance or repairs and once the wheels are attached to the bars, that's permanent.

On to the superstructure, sound and turret..

Comment

So nice to see you that you have accomplished the run. Looks awesome. I will document your steps and your work on this project after my injured fingers recover. There are so many little parts in this project that it is kinda difficult for a "handicapped" to do. I am working the big parts KT and jagdpanzer IV project at this time.

Comment

Something to consider...

There is an important difference between the static kit and this r/c conversion. There needs to be access to the interior in the latter. This requires building the superstructure in one unit that just press fits onto the chassis. For instance the fenders have to be attached to the top, not to the sides of the hull.

Name:	088AD696-08E3-461D-AE82-1DAD2398BDB7.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	327606

Comment

Just tested the turret rotation and gun elevation functions. All works fine, the Spektrum receiver pairs nicely with the MTC. Once I attach the hundreds of tiny parts to the superstructure, I can start on the turret, auto-cannon and machine gun assembly which is WHY I BOUGHT THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE! LOL

Being a 4 channel system, the cannon and mg are activated by quickly flipping the right stick up or down respectively. Engine and gun sounds are automatic, although they can be switched off by dip switch.

Speaking of sound, think this speaker will be enough? Sheesh! Can you say boom-box? This monster is why a bunch of rear internal detail has to be removed, to fit this in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PzKpfw II L 15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.1 KB ID:	327597

Comment

Nice work Bob! My fingers are getting better. I will finish the work on my Tiger I first and return to this project. I will test on the flexibility of my fingers by start putting the track links together tomorrow.

Comment

I finally were able to connect the track links together yesterday. So difficult with 2 un-flexable left fingers. Also luckily I did not glue the sprockets together as the two inner and outer teeth are not aligned. I put the track on the sprocket to ensure that they are fitted before gluing the 2 parts of the sprocket together. Hope to have more times this weekend to catch up with Bob :-)

Name:	IMG_8027.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	327863

Comment

Working slowly on the chassis. You were right Bob. The application of the glue on the wheels and idlers was quite a task. Too much glue, the wheel got stuck. Too little glue, the wheel detached. Bob, the 35RC's instruction stated that in step 2, I need to cut the part Bd4 but did not show what to do with them. Do you know? Thank you!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	327987

Comment

Bd4 is the shaft for shock absorbers. I think he wanted the shaft portions removed so that the associated torsion bars are free to twist. He probably just glued it onto the suspension arm. I made the cut he wanted, but then drilled a small hole in the remaining part and attached a thinner rod. The rod fits into the shock absorber case and moves up and down with the suspension.

Comment

I see what you meant. I think I will just wait until the end to decide on that area. Thank you!

Comment

My work on the upper hull at this point. It's not easy trying to assemble a model but not allow to follow the instruction because of the RC conversion. Finally I was able to fit the upper hull onto the lower hull and they are both independent pieces.

Name:	IMG_8082.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	328197

Comment

You’re on the right track! I may glue some magnets to keep them together.

Comment

Thank you Bob! Out of the 3 options they have, which option will you be choosing for your tank? I might go with tank 4121. Last night I put in the speaker onto the upper hull.

Name:	IMG_8086.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	328231

Comment

Working...
                                          X