X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
    My T34/85 is the customized late 7.0 version and I don't see any idler adjuster in it. As you can see from the picture, my tracks don't touch the top wheels per your advice. They seem quite tight. Should I add in the 2 links? It came from Toucan that way though.

For my king tiger, I bought an old static tank and converted it into RC. So it doesn't have the idler adjuster also. I will apply the method on the KT then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8284.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	330074
    Remove the front idler wheel. The wheels rides on an axle attached to the adjusters.

Unscrew lift up out and move forward or backwards to loosen or tighten track. Then screw down the idler adjusters to lock them into place and reinstalled the wheel.

Comment

I will work on the idlers tonight. I learn so much today

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Remove the front idler wheel. The wheels rides on an axle attached to the adjusters.

Unscrew lift up out and move forward or backwards to loosen or tighten track. Then screw down the idler adjusters to lock them into place and reinstalled the wheel.
        Done. 10 minute work. The tank now looks much better. I am tankful :-)

Comment

Done. 10 minute work. The tank now looks much better. I am tankful :-)
          Its easier to do then to explain. Glad it worked out for you. Now let’s see some photos!!!!

Comment

Here it is. Before and after

Name:	IMG_E8284.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	330188

Name:	IMG_8293.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	330189

Comment

Here it is. Before and after

Name:	IMG_E8284.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	330188

Name:	IMG_8293.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	330189
              Much nicer in the after photo.

Comment

Some screen shots from testing of Mato T49 metal tracks on Heng Long M4 Sherman (“Russian Firefly” theme) for performance and reliability. Video of testing is on my Instagram @ fsttanks
                Click image for larger version  Name:	27E8E701-81F5-4D6D-9C28-E8965A050796.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	195.1 KB ID:	330298Click image for larger version  Name:	A315285F-F14A-4013-B57A-EE9983015ABA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	197.4 KB ID:	330299Click image for larger version  Name:	CFDF15AD-B390-49F3-B10A-E3A77B956131.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	178.5 KB ID:	330295Click image for larger version  Name:	BBE79F76-8B50-4354-9E56-7690687A10F1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	288.5 KB ID:	330300Click image for larger version  Name:	9F139725-F477-4D9D-9BB3-BE4D14B94901.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	284.1 KB ID:	330297Click image for larger version  Name:	C95EE63A-3292-4B1B-AC9A-73BDCB32EF6F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	226.0 KB ID:	330296

Comment

So nice. I will paint my next Sherman similar to yours :-)

Comment

So nice. I will paint my next Sherman similar to yours :-)

Comment

It is a “Firefly” barrel I bought from Toucan hobbies off EBay. Like the “Fury” (panther) barrel it is too long so I cut it down to the correct length. Which is approx 6.5” (provided by Rich Johnson) or approx double the length of the stock gun from mantle face “pass through” to where the brake attaches (the muzzle brake is not part of the 6.5” measurement).

Note: The barrel is aluminum and the brake is integral with the rest of the barrel so it has to be cut off and reattach once the barrel is shortened.
                      Is this the same barrel that you bought from Toucan? I want to replace the barrel on my Sherman that Rich stated it had the German muzzle brake. This one has the right muzzle brake, correct? And I can cut it down to 6.5 inches. Thank you!

Comment

Is this the same barrel that you bought from Toucan? I want to replace the barrel on my Sherman that Rich stated it had the German muzzle brake. This one has the right muzzle brake, correct? And I can cut it down to 6.5 inches. Thank you!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32478130848...3ABFBMpoXMo6pf
                        Yes that is the one I have. I shortened mine though as it is a bit to long as supplied.

Comment

Got it! Thank you!

Comment

For those of you that asked about the Mato T49 “duck bill” tracks I am using on this tank. Here are some close up photos.

Name:	71F3429B-CF89-4482-9835-FE3BE694DE18.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	331477Click image for larger version

Name:	47362D18-3ECC-4B83-80FB-AFE542D2477B.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	331475Click image for larger version

Name:	C38C91BB-DCB6-4C5B-A21F-F3C6AB801258.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	331476

Comment

A few more tweaks to this build. I added different turret track armor that matches the main running tracks. I think it gives the turret a heavier look.

Heng Long M4 in “Russian Firefly” like theme.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	2301DB00-800D-46B8-8F92-FAC7195C9D6D.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	191.2 KB ID:	331852Click image for larger version  Name:	FCE19CBB-B258-4BC3-A28D-8A7062162ED4.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	269.0 KB ID:	331854Click image for larger version  Name:	32594575-E5E6-4BC0-B179-867022EE0F9A.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	315.3 KB ID:	331853
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	E2BC4286-9E3B-44F9-83F3-0827F27D3D0A.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	160.9 KB ID:	331856
                              Attached Files

Comment

It is a “Firefly” barrel I bought from Toucan hobbies off EBay. Like the “Fury” (panther) barrel it is too long so I cut it down to the correct length. Which is approx 6.5” (provided by Rich Johnson) or approx double the length of the stock gun from mantle face “pass through” to where the brake attaches (the muzzle brake is not part of the 6.5” measurement).

Note: The barrel is aluminum and the brake is integral with the rest of the barrel so it has to be cut off and reattach once the barrel is shortened.
                                The barrel arrived. I just want to make sure I do it correctly. I should measure 6.5 inches from the red arrow and cut it. I should also cut off the muzzle brake at the green arrow and reattach it to where the 6.5 cut off is. Correct? Thank you!

Name:	IMG_8552a.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	332600

Comment

The barrel arrived. I just want to make sure I do it correctly. I should measure 6.5 inches from the red arrow and cut it. I should also cut off the muzzle brake at the green arrow and reattach it to where the 6.5 cut off is. Correct? Thank you!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8552a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.7 KB ID:	332600
                                  If the red arrow is the point where the barrel meets/clears the mantle then yes. I would cut the muzzle brake off first as it is easier to do when attached to a longer section on the barrel.

6.5” is a close approximation for a Sherman Firefly(mine is not a true Sherman Firefly and I took liberty with how it looks). The actual Sherman Firefly barrel was roughly twice the length of the standard 75mm gun and just slightly longer then the later “EZ8” 76 mm gun. So if it ends up slightly shorter or slightly longer it will IMO still look more proportionally balanced and overall better looking then the length provided.

Comment

If the red arrow is the point where the barrel meets/clears the mantle then yes. I would cut the muzzle brake off first as it is easier to do when attached to a longer section on the barrel.

6.5” is a close approximation for a Sherman Firefly(mine is not a true Sherman Firefly and I took liberty with how it looks). The actual Sherman Firefly barrel was roughly twice the length of the standard 75mm gun and just slightly longer then the later “EZ8” 76 mm gun. So if it ends up slightly shorter or slightly longer it will IMO still look more proportionally balanced and overall better looking then the length provided.
                                    I was trying to be lazy and wanted to cut it off first. Now since you mentioned it, I will play around with it. I will install it into the mantle to see how it looks. Then make a mark of where it clears the mantle and go from there. I will also check on the 75mm gun and double its length for more confirmation. Many thanks!

Comment

Little update on this project. Although everything has been running reliably the tank has a noticeable “wobble” when driving at lower speeds on flat ground. The cause is largely due to the drive axles shaft being slightly bent.

So instead of ordering new shafts I went ahead a ordered entirely new gearboxes. The new boxes are HLs “premium” ones. I have never been a huge fan of them and prefer the “black” Taigen boxes more, but I couldn’t pass up the sale price on them.

Once installed, the tracks back on and everything “buttoned up” it was off to testing. The wobble still remains but it was greatly reduced. The tank now has better low speed/power torque then the standard “silver can” gearboxes had, an added plus of the “blue” motors that came with the new gearboxes.

The slight wobble that remains is associated with the sprocket to track fit and the slight misalignment of the Mato rear idlers that are randomly catching the track teeth. It’s now such a minor issues that I am not going to chase the “rabbit” trying to sort it out further.

Stock gearboxes: Click image for larger version  Name:	6A2C73C6-E6CF-4CAB-BD7C-C0FAF679799A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	333316

Heng Long “premium” gearboxes: Click image for larger version  Name:	98B24875-1838-4032-96C3-D771083935EB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	333315

Comment

Little update on this project. Although everything has been running reliably the tank has a noticeable “wobble” when driving at lower speeds on flat ground. The cause is largely due to the drive axles shaft being slightly bent.

So instead of ordering new shafts I went ahead a ordered entirely new gearboxes. The new boxes are HLs “premium” ones. I have never been a huge fan of them and prefer the “black” Taigen boxes more, but I couldn’t pass up the sale price on them.

Once installed, the tracks back on and everything “buttoned up” it was off to testing. The wobble still remains but it was greatly reduced. The tank now has better low speed/power torque then the standard “silver can” gearboxes had an added plus of the “blue” motors that came with the new gearboxes.

The slight wobble that remains is associated with the sprocket to track fit and the slight misalignment of the Mato rear idlers that are randomly catching the track teeth. It’s now such a minor issues that I am not going to chase the “rabbit” trying to sort it out further.
                                        A sale on Premium gearboxes? If you don't mind, please let me know where! Thank you!

Comment

A sale on Premium gearboxes? If you don't mind, please let me know where! Thank you!
                                          Sale is long since over.

Comment

Working...
                                          X