X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA - Tami Leo 2 Tracks in stock

Seems like I waited forever on these tracks, just got a couple of sets from AAF and I believe they have 2 more sets available, in case some of you are looking for.

I went ahead and bought Tamiya Leopard from them about a week ago. I had previously ordered the Panther, but apparently I didn’t notice that they didn’t have it in stock (backordered about two years so far according to them), so I pulled the trigger. May I ask why you wanted the Tamiya Leopard tracks? Are they better than others. I was not too impressed with the Tamiya Tiger I tracks and replaced them with Taigen tracks which seem to work rather well. Additionally, it seems that many 1/16 Tamiya tanks have been discontinued; do you know if they will make other models?

Comment

Originally posted by RT Asp View Post
      I went ahead and bought Tamiya Leopard from them about a week ago. I had previously ordered the Panther, but apparently I didn’t notice that they didn’t have it in stock (backordered about two years so far according to them), so I pulled the trigger. May I ask why you wanted the Tamiya Leopard tracks? Are they better than others. I was not too impressed with the Tamiya Tiger I tracks and replaced them with Taigen tracks which seem to work rather well. Additionally, it seems that many 1/16 Tamiya tanks have been discontinued; do you know if they will make other models?
      Tamiya Panther tracks are nothing like Tamiya Leopard 2 or Abrams tracks. Totally different designs and methods of construction.

Tamiya Leopard 2 and Tamiya Abrams tracks are the simply the BEST of their kind. Lighter yet just as strong, taller guide teeth that greatly improve track retention over their competitors and slightly harder rubber pads that grip well but are NOT to soft (like the other) as to cause them to be overly “sticky” on concrete sidewalks or similar terrain causing the tank to turn sluggishly.

I have owned and run every brand of aftermarket Leopard 2 and Abrams tracks on multiple tanks and not one runs as reliably as Tamiya. You pay more for Tamiya but you get what you pay for.

Comment

@RT, like Rubicon said, the Tamiya ones are supposed to be better. I got 2 Taigen Leo 2's and they came with metal tracks, nothing wrong with them but I don't like how the worn bare metal "pads" look. I tried a set of DKLM metal with rubber pads, while the double links are correct, they are not nearly as smooth, the rubber pads sometimes slide outboard a bit and cause issues at the sprocket teeth (tracks jump a bit). I know for a fact Rubicon drives his tanks a lot harder than I do and he recommended these, so I should be good with these sets.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Tamiya Panther tracks are nothing like Tamiya Leopard 2 or Abrams tracks. Totally different designs and methods of construction.

Tamiya Leopard 2 and Tamiya Abrams tracks are the simply the BEST of their kind. Lighter yet just as strong, taller guide teeth that greatly improve track retention over their competitors and slightly harder rubber pads that grip well but are NOT to soft (like the other) as to cause them to be overly “sticky” on concrete sidewalks or similar terrain causing the tank to turn sluggishly.

I have owned and run every brand of aftermarket Leopard 2 and Abrams tracks on multiple tanks and not one runs as reliably as Tamiya. You pay more for Tamiya but you get what you pay for.
          Thank you, Sir! I’m glad I got the Tamiya Leopard; I also got the Abrams which I still have to build. You guys are a great motivation! So much stuff to do and so little time…lol
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, Sir! I’m glad I got the Tamiya Leopard; I also got the Abrams which I still have to build. You guys are a great motivation! So much stuff to do and so little time…lol
            Before you build it do yourself a favor and buy the DLKM metal transmission upgraded gear set. The stock nylon gears are not quite as durable as they should be to ensure for years of trouble free operation.

Comment

Can one of you kindly post a picture of the space between the idler and the 1st wheel on both sides of your Leopard II? I have a HL Leopard II and I would like to see these areas for comparison. In my tank, on the right side, the space between the idler and the 1st wheel is about 12mm. But on the left side, it is almost double at 24mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8277.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	330012

Name:	IMG_8278.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	330011

Comment

This makes the right front track is more in front than the left front track. Is this normal? Would it affect the movement and direction of the tank when it gets to a slope?

Name:	IMG_8281A.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	330016

Comment

Before you build it do yourself a favor and buy the DLKM metal transmission upgraded gear set. The stock nylon gears are not quite as durable as they should be to ensure for years of trouble free operation.
                  Oh wow! Thanks! Do you know where it is available? Having a little difficulty googling it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                    Can one of you kindly post a picture of the space between the idler and the 1st wheel on both sides of your Leopard II? I have a HL Leopard II and I would like to see these areas for comparison. In my tank, on the right side, the space between the idler and the 1st wheel is about 12mm. But on the left side, it is almost double at 24mm.

Name:	IMG_8277.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	330012

Name:	IMG_8278.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	330011
                    Yes you are correct there is a difference between the two sides. It is this way even on the real tank. It has to do with the way the suspension system is lied out.

One side will have a slight steeper track approach angle then the other. So as long as you are not having any de-tracking issues you are fine.

Comment

Oh wow! Thanks! Do you know where it is available? Having a little difficulty googling it.
                      Go to DLKMRC.com

Comment

David,

Similar L & R spacing on my Taigen's.

Comment

Go to DLKMRC.com
                          Thanks! Is this what you mean? https://www.dklmrc.com/product/steel_gear

Comment

Thanks! Is this what you mean? https://www.dklmrc.com/product/steel_gear
                            Yep!!! Those things are worth their weight in gold. Rebuilding a Tamiya Abrams transmission is NOT FUN and very time consuming. The saying “buy once cry once” is very true when it comes to adding the metal gear upgrade.

Comment

Yep!!! Those things are worth their weight in gold. Rebuilding a Tamiya Abrams transmission is NOT FUN and very time consuming. The saying “buy once cry once” is very true when it comes to adding the metal gear upgrade.
                              Thank you!!!!!!! I just bought two sets, one for the MIA2 and for the Leopard 2!

Comment

Thank you!!!!!!! I just bought two sets, one for the MIA2 and for the Leopard 2!
                                Both Tamiya Abrams and Leopard 2 use the same transmission so you will get a bit of practice putting them together. It’s only hard on the first one....LoL

Comment

At least you now have the spares to rebuild the tamiya tranny, when I wore out the tranny in my KT back in the early 90s there was nothing around. Was the single motor, twin clutch version. Gave it away to a collector friend

Comment

Rubicon99 It seems to take forever, first I was told by Tami these were discontinued when I tried to source some back in June, BUT the 2 sets I ordered from AAF finally showed up today. They look and feel good. I quickly shed Leo #1 of the DKLM and put the Tami's on, they were the exact length I needed, no adjustment on tension. I ran her for a full charge and these are by far the best Leo 2 tracks out of the 3 sets.

There was nothing really wrong with the OEM Taigen's, aside from the weight and fake double link, and the fact I didn't like shinny pads, they did not give me any issue. Then I got the DKLM because the Tami's were "discontinued" at the time, these look pretty good, a bit more elaborate looking, but because of how the pads are retained (friction & grooves), the pads would sometimes work outboard and ride on the sprocket, causing track jumps but never threw once. These can go on the Abrams to shave some stress.

The Tami's are just so smooth running and quiet, very pleased. Thanks Rubcon.

L->R (Tami, DKLM, Taigen)

Name:	20211123_135030.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	330839

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post
                                      Rubicon99 It seems to take forever, first I was told by Tami these were discontinued when I tried to source some back in June, BUT the 2 sets I ordered from AAF finally showed up today. They look and feel good. I quickly shed Leo #1 of the DKLM and put the Tami's on, they were the exact length I needed, no adjustment on tension. I ran her for a full charge and these are by far the best Leo 2 tracks out of the 3 sets.

There was nothing really wrong with the OEM Taigen's, aside from the weight and fake double link, and the fact I didn't like shinny pads, they did not give me any issue. Then I got the DKLM because the Tami's were "discontinued" at the time, these look pretty good, a bit more elaborate looking, but because of how the pads are retained (friction & grooves), the pads would sometimes work outboard and ride on the sprocket, causing track jumps but never threw once. These can go on the Abrams to shave some stress.

The Tami's are just so smooth running and quiet, very pleased. Thanks Rubcon.

L->R (Tami, DKLM, Taigen)

Name:	20211123_135030.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	330839
                                      Glad to hear you finally got a set and that they are working out well for you👍👍

Comment

Working...
                                      X