X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toro/Taigen switching transmitter

I was under the impression that those wire packages that came with the Toro/Taigen tanks are for the owner to hook them up and switch over to the hobby grade transmitter. If that is true, does anyone know the link for the steps to switch over. Or I might just need to contact MotionRC and ask since I bought the tanks from them. Thank you!

Here you go, know this - your smoke unit is ON (Hot) by default so you may want to wire in a manual On/Off, and the MG cannot be activated since Taigen uses some undocumented hard-coded mix on CH 5.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TG V3 Instructions.jpg Views:	0 Size:	250.9 KB ID:	334653

Comment

Thank you! I will order some of those little receivers and try them on.

Comment

I currently have about 10 Toro/Taigen tanks. If I learn how to perform correctly about these connections and bind them with my Spektrum tx, I will able to put away those 10 plastic "toy-like" transmitters, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
          I currently have about 10 Toro/Taigen tanks. If I learn how to perform correctly about these connections and bind them with my Spektrum tx, I will able to put away those 10 plastic "toy-like" transmitters, lol.
          Right, as long as you are ok w/o the MG. There was an add-on MG (sight & sound - Dr. Mad Thrust) running off a separate channel on the cheap, but it seems HobbyKing stopped carrying those and the sound module was always on backorder.

I have 7 Taigen/Torro and 2 HL, I run all the former from either a Frsky X20s or a Frsky X10s Express (using OTx), never look back. I use the inexpensive RadioMaster R168 or R88 Rx's, but wired in ON/OFF for the smokers. Instead of regular ON/OFF for the smoker, you could also get an electronic one running off a spare channel from your Rx.

Comment

I am not there yet at this time. From your post, can I just not connect the smoker plug? I am not into smoke with my tanks. I have a spektrum Tx and a FlySky FS-I6S Tx from DAK RC. What is the correct receiver for me to get at HobbyKing to bind with my Spektrum? All I know now is the orange R615X DSM2/DSMX works with my Spektrum DX9 which I got 2 weeks ago. I am totally new and unknowledgeable with RC at this time :-) Can the RadioMaster receiver bind with my Spektrum too?

Comment

The Taigen's MFU juices the smoker circuit by default, so if you don't use smoker at all, then by all means not plug in the smoker and you will be fine. As for Rx's, I believe the seller usually package the Flysky FS16s with the 6 channel iA6B. As for Spectrum, I am not familiar with their Tx's and don't care for them as it is an over-priced closed system, but I know OrangeRx makes compatible Rx's that are cheaper and just as good. You don't need a fancy do-everything Rx since this is for a ground vehicle, don't pay for things you don't need or use.

For radio specific questions, I find this forum quite helpful - https://www.rcgroups.com/radios-135/

You should be fine with either Tx's. I am partial to Tx's that use OTx, it is so much easier to setup & maintain models, especially with their PC Companion. I was doing perfectly fine using an old Devo 10, then a RadioMaster Tx16s, and now staying with the 2 Frsky's. The Frsky X20s is an overkill, I just wanted one as it feels so good, LOL.

Comment

Thank you for your comforting post. It is quite difficult to learn new things when a person is near his mid 50s :-) I did have the Rx included in my FlySky Tx . What do you mean by "OTx"? And please explain "closed system"? Thanks!

Comment

Sorry about the acronym, OTx = Open Tx, it's an open source Tx firmware that works across a number of brands, generally these Tx's have mult-protocol module built-in or can easily accommodate an external module, in essence, a single Tx that covers many of the popular protocols. See https://www.open-tx.org/

They have a desktop PC Companion which I find very useful in configuration, no longer need to press through buttons to program. "Closed" system are just proprietary systems where the manufacturer does something unique to their protocol to keep other people from copying and keep their own ecosystem intact. So in a sense, the new X20s I have falls into that category as Frsky is using their proprietary O/S with that series.

Comment

Great post! I have just ordered a few of the cheapest Orange Rxs from HobbyKing. Let's see how it goes with the connection when they arrive :-) But I am quite confident with the info you have given me.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                      Great post! I have just ordered a few of the cheapest Orange Rxs from HobbyKing. Let's see how it goes with the connection when they arrive :-) But I am quite confident with the info you have given me.
                      Good luck David, I am sure you checked already, but please make sure the OrangeRx you ordered is compatible with your particular Spectrum.

Comment

Thank you for watching out for me. Yeap, the Orange Rx I ordered had a statement at the bottom stating that "This product is not a Spektrum product and it is not a copy of a Spektrum product." For me....that meant it had to be compatible to a Spektrum Tx, lol.

Comment

I have a bunch of orange, they work ok in some things but not in others. I have found with IBU2 I have to use a spectrum rx or else when I turn turret the throttle steering glitch and hold as long as I’m turning the turret even if I let go of throttle steering stick it keeps going .
                          im told lemon is way better
                          RC tank parts and accessories I make
                          www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post

Good luck David, I am sure you checked already, but please make sure the OrangeRx you ordered is compatible with your particular Spectrum.
                            I got the receiver. I bound it with my DX9. I plugged the receiver into all 6 Chanels of the Taigen tank. I turned the Tx on. Then I turned the tank on. The fan inside the tank activated. The light in the receiver flashed, but the tank did not start. I moved both controllers all around and nothing happened. Is there anything that I need to do have the tank engine started

Comment

David, not sure about the setup on your Tx, but I usually use a 2-pos toggle for CH 5, ON/OFF

Comment

I also use the position switch for channel 5. From 1-4 are for the thro, rudo, elev and aile. So do you just turn the switch for channel 5 and the tank engine would start?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9153.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	335896

Comment

That's basically how mine is setup. Stating the obvious - you did insert the selector plug that shorts the 2 pins, right?

If you have a spare servo, use that to test out your channel assignment, start with CH 5 assignment.

Comment

If you have a spare servo, use that to test out your channel assignment, start with CH 5 assignment.

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post
                                      That's basically how mine is setup. Stating the obvious - you did insert the selector plug that shorts the 2 pins, right?
                                      Sorry! I did not know about that. Can you show me where to plug in to short it?

Name:	IMG_9154.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	335926

Comment

David, it is to the right of the sound card port in this orientation.

Name:	Screen Shot 01-29-22 at 11.33 AM.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	335959

Comment

Working...
                                        X