Clear All

• Official Torro 1/16 Scale German King Tiger Heavy Tank RTR Thread

1/16 Scale German King Tiger Heavy Tank from Torro - RTR - TOR1112200701

Click image for larger version

Name:	mastera.jpg
Views:	2056
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	345774

Tiger II, Konigstiger, King Tiger. By any name, this German heavy tank was the most fearsome tracked weapon during WW2!

Faithfully recreated in 1/16 scale, Torro continues to grow its reputation as a producer of high quality, high functioning RC tanks. This Pro Edition of the King Tiger features more than 70% metal part construction, a 360 degree rotating turret, a realistic torsion bar suspension, and a barrel recoil and muzzle flash effect that fires in sync with the IR (infrared) battle system.

This version is delivered as RTR (Ready to Run), meaning it is fully functional out of the box.

All Metal Track System

All of Torro's "Pro-Edition" tanks feature full metal drive systems. Single track links are connected with steel pins, propelled by metal drive sprockets and riding over metal road wheels and idler. Confidently conquer terrain with these durable metal tracks!
    High Torque Motors

Reliable metal geared gearboxes are driven by high torque motors.
    Heavy Metal Castings

Hoist hooks, spare track links and even simulated "welds" are reproduced in cast metal! Unsurpassed quality and realism combine to make this tank truly versatile as both a battle-ready and stunning display model.
    IR Battle Ready

Engage in friendly infrared ("IR") combat with other tanks using Torro's proprietary IR Battle System, both inflicting hits upon and receiving hits from opponents! Sounds and action signal each hit, until the 5th hit disables the tank. After 10 seconds, the disabled tank restarts and can rejoin the fight!
    Onboard Charging

Torro's convenient onboard charging system eliminates the hassle of removing batteries after every driving session. Safely charge the onboard NiMH battery by plugging the included charger's plug into the tank's concealed charge port.
    Superb Scale Fidelity

Molded details, metal cast parts, brass photo-etched parts, and functional elements such as opening hatches all elevate this RC model to the next level, making it a perfect display piece when it's not powering through the battlefield outside.
    360 Degree Turret

Fully rotate the metal turret 360 degrees, and move the all-metal barrel up and down to train on your target. Torro's integrated drive electronics gives you complete proportional control to translate your precise inputs to all axe of movement. Drive, turn, traverse, train, and fire!
    Barrel Recoil and Muzzle Flash Effect

The Pro-Edition of Torro tanks are distinguished by their synchronized barrel recoil and muzzle flash effect. When firing the main cannon, the barrel recoils at the same time that an LED inside the barrel flashes and a firing sound plays through the tank's internal speaker. Normally a costly aftermarket feature, this entire system is pre-installed in this Torro Pro-Edition King Tiger.
    Exhaust Effect

Glycerin-based "exhaust effect" simulates engine exhaust emanating from the two rear mounted chimneys.
    Torsion Bar Suspension

Unlike simpler models with basic spring suspension arms, this Torro tank features a torsion bar suspension system that functions like the real tank! Torsion bars impart positive downforce on the tracks at all degrees of rotation, resulting in significantly improved traction over uneven terrain.
    Features:
    • 70%+ metal parts including turret, main barrel, tracks and drive system
    • 360 degree turret rotation
    • Barrel Recoil with Muzzle Flash effect
    • Realistic Torsion Bar suspension system
    • Metal lower hull, drive wheels, idler wheels, and road wheels
    • Single pad metal tracks connected with steel pins
    • Onboard charging system via charge socket
    • Proportional acceleration, steering, turret traverse, and gun movement
    • Realistic sound system and smoke effect generator
    • Fires an invisible IR signal to be used as part of Torro's proprietary Infrared Battle System, which disables other tanks when hit five times during simulated combat. Up to 20 tanks at the same time can battle each other!
    Includes:
    • Torro German King Tiger 1/16 Scale Heavy Tank - RTR
    • 7.2V NiMH battery with Tamiya connector
    • 7.2V NiMH battery charger
    • 6-Channel 2.4GHz radio transmitter
    • Infrared (IR) battle system receiver
    • Painted cosmetic accessory parts
    • Adhesive decal sheet
    • Set of small parts and accessories
    • Smoke effect oil (vegetable glycerin)
    • Sturdy wooden crate for transportation and display
    • Complete instruction manual in English and German
    Requires:Optional:Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL: 14 and up
    SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
    BUILD TIME: 1 Hour

Scale 1:16
    Length 66cm / 25.9in
    Width 23cm / 9.0in
    Height 20cm / 7.8in
    Weight 6500g / 229oz
    Body Material Metal/Plastic
    Chassis Material Metal
    Track Material Metal
    Motors Two 380 motors (28x37mm)
    Bearings Metal Bushings
    Gearbox Gear Material Steel
    Adjustable Gear Ratio Fixed
    Differential Type Gear
    Suspension Type Bogie
    Sprocket Metal
    Road Wheels Metal
    Idler Wheel Metal
    Adjustable Idler No
    Turret Rotation 360 Degrees
    Lights Yes
    Sound Yes
    Exhaust Effect Yes
    IR Battle Ready Yes
    Airsoft BB Launch No
    Track Recoil Yes
    Cannon Barrel Recoil Yes
    Required Battery 2S 7.4V 1800mAh (included)
    Required Radio 6 Channel (included)
    Skill Level Beginner
    Build Time 1 Hour
    Recommended Environment Indoor / Outdoor
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Hi Aros, which Torro is the best in your opinion? I like the King Tiger as shown above but would like to know which do like best and why...thanks.

Comment

I have this KT and I like it. As with all from this brand, the "progressive" is very, very touchy.

Comment

Thank you 761, watched a couple of videos in YouTube and overall seems nice, "on board" charge comes handy, removing every time the top to charge batteries can be a pain.

Comment

761 quick question if you don't mind, I' pretty sure you far-far more knowledgeable than me with Torro tanks.
          I got this week a Panther G and after about 3-4 minutes of working as it is supposed t, it stops by itself, light in tanks starts blinking but tank is like waiting for transmitter to send signal, I then turn off/on main switch in radio and tank starts normally but after a couple of minutes the same happens, I check batteries, connections but as far as I can tell all is hook as it is supposed to, what do you think is happening?
          Thanks!

Comment

Here's one possibility, just one:

Maybe it's a low voltage issue. When voltage drops below LVC (low voltage cutoff), the tank turns off. With no current draw by the motors, the board resets and the lights start blinking that it's ready to be turned on again. By turning off your transmitter, you're also giving the board time to reset. After some additional run time, the cycle repeats. The prime culprit in this is the quality or condition of the battery. Although it may charge fully, internally it could be weak.

If you can, do what a lot of us do; process of elimination. First, replace a component, in other words try another battery. If it clears up the problem, all good. If not, there could be so much friction in the system that the voltage just drops. By friction I mean something like jammed gears, bearings, bushings or tracks too tight.
            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

OSMD. Exactly what Bob said. I have had similar issues. Generally, I have found the included battery has been short term. Panther is a nice tank. Always feel free to ask questions here. A lot of useful information.

Comment

Changed battery and it worked...thank you both very much!!!😁😁
                I actually used the battery that came with Fairplay IV which is a Lipo battery 2s, 7.4 v, 2800 mAps and it work perfect. This battery came w a Tamiya-XT60 adapter, anyway thanks again guys.

Comment

Enjoy!

Comment

Can this tank be modified to install a compatible BB launcher? I’m not so interested in keeping the IR function.

Comment

Torro makes a BB version. See if their website sells the module.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                        1/16 Scale German King Tiger Heavy Tank from Torro - RTR - TOR1112200701

Click image for larger version  Name:	mastera.jpg Views:	1334 Size:	85.8 KB ID:	345774

Tiger II, Konigstiger, King Tiger. By any name, this German heavy tank was the most fearsome tracked weapon during WW2!

Faithfully recreated in 1/16 scale, Torro continues to grow its reputation as a producer of high quality, high functioning RC tanks. This Pro Edition of the King Tiger features more than 70% metal part construction, a 360 degree rotating turret, a realistic torsion bar suspension, and a barrel recoil and muzzle flash effect that fires in sync with the IR (infrared) battle system.

This version is delivered as RTR (Ready to Run), meaning it is fully functional out of the box.
                        Very surprised to see Heng Long grey 380 motors and thin wall, sleeve bearing gearbox at this price point.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

Very surprised to see Heng Long grey 380 motors and thin wall, sleeve bearing gearbox at this price point.
                          Those are not comparable to HL's standard gearboxes, the Torro/Taigen are built better, granted that particular heavy beast could use a pair of 390's and there's plenty of room for the longer can.

Comment

Originally posted by sclui56 View Post

Those are not comparable to HL's standard gearboxes, the Torro/Taigen are built better, granted that particular heavy beast could use a pair of 390's and there's plenty of room for the longer can.
                            I am familiar with the Torro/Taigen gearboxes version 1, version 2 and version 3. At the price point of an all metal King Tiger, I expect to see at least Version 2, if not Version 3 gearbox. The Version 1 gearbox is a surprise. Yes, a Version 3 gearbox with the 390 motor will be a better match for this King Tiger.

Comment

I think the specs are old, mine came with V2, don't think any model come with V3 from the factory. And the 380 on mine was the newer black 380's from Torro/Taigen.

Comment

I think the specs are old, mine came with V2, don't think any model come with V3 from the factory. And the 380 on mine was the newer black 280's from Torro/Taigen.

Name:	High-Torque-Motors.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	388131
                                I comment based on the picture that Aros posted. Admittedly, it is more than a year old. It is a Version 1 gearbox. The Version 2 gearbox gets the Black 380. More importantly, The gears have ball bearings which I consider mandatory for a heavy all metal tank. Can you show a picture of the gearbox in your King Tiger for side by side comparison with Aros'.

Comment

Ironically, mine came from Motion instead of IMEX in July 2021. I tried asking IMEX to confirm gearbox (they still indicate v1 right now) but did not hear back, OTOH, Motion responded quickly and their unit was even slightly cheaper. I did swap out for 390's, it would be quite taxing for 380's, this is one chubby girl.

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	388133

Comment

Ironically, mine came from Motion instead of IMEX in July 2021. I tried asking IMEX to confirm gearbox (they still indicate v1 right now) but did not hear back, OTOH, Motion responded quickly and their unit was even slightly cheaper. I did swap out for 390's, it would be quite taxing for 380's, this is one chubby girl.

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	388133
                                    It is a beautiful setup. I do not own any all metal RTR tank because they were all priced well above $1K until the recent Torro all metal. My typical investment on a metal upgraded plastic hull Heng Ling are in the upper $400 to low $500 range which makes the under $600 Torro RTR all metal very tempting.

I have the Torro/Taigen version 2 gearbox on a Heng Long Pershing. It was a 2005 HL Snow Leopard that went through a series of electronic and metal upgrades. I use a pair of hand selected Red390 with them.

Name:	IMG_5176.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	388169 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5122.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	388170 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5130.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	388166 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5131.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	388167 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5124.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	388172 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5123.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	388168
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Matomart has Mato all-metal tanks for ~ $400 and up. I've bought two kit versions on M4 chassis, each $439 unpainted with no electronics. An HL board, a speaker & some paint and they're done:

Name:	M4A3E4 Kelly 06.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	388176 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E3111.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	388177

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                        Matomart has Mato all-metal tanks for ~ $400 and up. I've bought two kit versions on M4 chassis, each $439 unpainted with no electronics. An HL board, a speaker & some paint and they're done:

Click image for larger version  Name:	M4A3E4 Kelly 06.jpg Views:	12 Size:	266.4 KB ID:	388176 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_E3111.jpg Views:	13 Size:	211.3 KB ID:	388177
                                        Went to Matomart and saw the all metal static versions for $439. From your description, it is ready for the gearbox. One drawback is that the Mato all metal chassis cannot use the Heng Long compatible gearbox making the selection very restrictive.

The RTR all metal Sherman at $599 is a better deal, unless you have the parts laying around in the shop. Mato has only one Sherman gearbox with 14 ball bearings. But the RTR tank webpage does not have any information on the gearbox nor the motors.

On the tank subject, I will be most interested in a cold war era tank with torsion bar suspension. I am more likely to get a Torro tank because they are more interchangeable with Heng Long parts.

Comment

Working...
                                        X