Clear All

• Flakpanzer IV Wirbelwind

It's alive!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wirbelwind 06.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	357231

My intrepid printer buddy has manufactured the 3DP parts I need to convert a Heng Long Panzer IV to a Wirbelwind. Now it's up to me to see how much customizing I can accomplish. Rotation and elevation is straightforward. I'm planning (hoping) to insert LED bulbs in the barrels. I'd use the machine gun circuit to activate them. I may even use spare HL IR bulbs that I removed for stronger ones from other tanks. That way I could fire the mg circuit for 5 seconds which will cause the main IR to fire, but at a shorter range. Or nothing may work, and it'll be just a showpiece! We'll see.

Name:	Wirbelwind 08.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	357233

Name:	Wirbelwind 09.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	357234
    Attached Files
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

The turret of the tank does not look big

Comment

Pretty large...

Name:	Wirbelwind 07.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	357944

Name:	Wirbelwind 08.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	357945

Comment

Another step. Turret painted with base color, barrels installed. Barrels are brass rods, At some point I'd like to substitute tubes with LED's inside so the rods are just press-fitted.

Name:	Wirbelwind 10.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	358005

Comment

I posted a clip on Youtube showing my progress. Here's the link:

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
            I posted a clip on Youtube showing my progress. Here's the link:

Bob that is one of the best RC tank video “lead ins” I have seen in a very long time.

Are you bring the new tank to the “October War” battle on the 9th? It would be a real threat because you could use the heavy AA MG feature to knock out IDF Sherman’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Bob that is one of the best RC tank video “lead ins” I have seen in a very long time.

Are you bring the new tank to the “October War” battle on the 9th? It would be a real threat because you could use the heavy AA MG feature to knock out IDF Sherman’s.
              Ahh, man! Why you do me like that? I have hooked up IR equipment. So, asking your opinion: The IR bulb(s) will be mounted in between the top and bottom AA barrel(s). Notice the plural, more on that later. They'll be in brass tubes to reduce side scatter. Also, they'll be inside the turret, and the slits n front are quite narrow. I'll be using my HL bulbs that I removed for stronger ones I'd like to install two, one on each side. I'm thinking that the weaker bulbs and two in a circuit may reduce the range. This would simulate the smaller caliber rounds. Any thoughts? If necessary I could also only shoot the mg circuit so I would have to stay on target for a long time to register a hit.

Oh, and thanks for the nice compliment. There'll be a "Director's Cut" once the project is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post

Ahh, man! Why you do me like that? I have hooked up IR equipment. So, asking your opinion: The IR bulb(s) will be mounted in between the top and bottom AA barrel(s). Notice the plural, more on that later. They'll be in brass tubes to reduce side scatter. Also, they'll be inside the turret, and the slits n front are quite narrow. I'll be using my HL bulbs that I removed for stronger ones I'd like to install two, one on each side. I'm thinking that the weaker bulbs and two in a circuit may reduce the range. This would simulate the smaller caliber rounds. Any thoughts? If necessary I could also only shoot the mg circuit so I would have to stay on target for a long time to register a hit.

Oh, and thanks for the nice compliment. There'll be a "Director's Cut" once the project is complete.
                Two bulbs are OK. Rich has two in his AA monster and there have been no issues. I would make the tubes a little longer maybe 10-15mm to narrow the beams a bit but the standard depth is not going to upset anyone. Firing off the 6.0/6.1 MG circuit will pulse a shot once every 1.5-2 second. I would limit the firing to no more then 5-8 second burst with a reasonable reload time in between. Also maybe add three to four “pre hits” before the battle so it will only take three hits or less to knock it out.

New HL bulbs have a range of over 100 feet so even powered down they will be able to hit targets a fair distance away. Just food for thought.

Comment

Looks great. Very nice build.

Comment

So cool Bob! I can't wait to see the 4 LED's flashing at a high rate simultaneously :-) Will you be able to find a couple of German figures to set them in there?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidN View Post
                      So cool Bob! I can't wait to see the 4 LED's flashing at a high rate simultaneously :-) Will you be able to find a couple of German figures to set them in there?
                      I’m a novice regarding LEDs, so it’s a goal I hope to realize. As far as figures, there are 3DP figures that might work. Someday!

Comment

Bob, this is amazing. Excellent work sir !

If looking for solutions to LED's, reach out to Evan Designs. The owner is super helpful, even if you dont buy from them. They have LED's for just about every RC & smal scale scenario, and can custom configure if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippersnapper View Post
                          Bob, this is amazing. Excellent work sir !

If looking for solutions to LED's, reach out to Evan Designs. The owner is super helpful, even if you dont buy from them. They have LED's for just about every RC & smal scale scenario, and can custom configure if needed.
                          Thank you! As it turned out, I had just found that website. It's good to know that folks have had positive experiences there.

Comment

Camo. My airbrush was a b*tch today.

Name:	Wirbelwind 13.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	358297

Comment

I'll take your worst day, over my best day, any day....

Comment

Looks great. Love the camo - it’s almost exactly how I was envisioning it should look when I saw it in just dunkelgelb the other night.

Comment

Loaded a new clip for you on Youtube. Back on Post 5 I linked a progress video. I've since deleted it in favor of this finished version, showing the tank outdoors. Same intro, but the second half has been changed.

Comment

I finally installed four LED's. They're connected to the machine gun circuit, so they flash simultaneously. The photo is taken under some house lighting outside at night. The LEDs are "pico", 1.3mm in size, with hair thin wire leads. Very faint in daylight. I'm happy I was able to do it at all! There's a little surprise hidden between the two left barrels; an IR emitter bulb!

Name:	IMG_3124.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	364826

Comment

Working...
                                    X