X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heng Long German Leopard 2A6 Professional Edition

Well I guess I'm hooked into this hobby after I got the T90 and now I'm leaning towards purchasing the HL German Leopard 2A6 Professional Edition as my next tank.
    Would like you'alls opinion on this tank and any photos/modifications/upgrades you have made on yours. Let your fingers type away.

I purchased a Heng Long 3889 German Leopard 2A6 tank in March 2021. The seller listed it as an upgraded version. The HL box listed it as a "pro" version. It came with steel gearbox, sproket, idler wheel and metal track. For $224, it is not a bad deal. The tank runs well indoor as well as in outdoor settings. The MFU is a 6.0S version. It is a good tank for most users except for the following:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1319.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	366314Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1320.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	366315

1. It comes with the HL Li-Ion 2S pack which I measured at 800 mAh even it was rated by HL as 1800. I replaced it with a 2S2P Li-Ion with 4 imported ICR18650 cells. This pack measured 5600 mAh and last much longer than the HL pack. I also have some pack using EBL18650 that measured 4500 mAh. I like Li-Ion pack for it long storage time and staying about 8 volts over half of the use cycle.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4958.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	366310Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4956.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.5 KB ID:	366311Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4961.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.9 KB ID:	366312

2. The HL grey 380 is a low grade Mubachi knockoff. I replaced it with MxFans390 which is similar to the HL Red390, but runs faster at 30000 rpm.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4969.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.0 KB ID:	366313

3. The sleeve bearing of the HL steel gearbox creates a lot of vibration and noise. I replaced it with the Heng Xin gearbox.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4962.jpg Views:	0 Size:	198.4 KB ID:	366318Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4963.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.8 KB ID:	366319Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4968.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.5 KB ID:	366317Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4980.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.0 KB ID:	366316

4. The HL metal track is a robust track. The hollow on the track and the single pin design make it look unrealistic in running. I replaced it with a Tamiya track.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4990.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.6 KB ID:	366320Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4989.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.9 KB ID:	366321

All the upgrades can be completed in half a day. I wasted most of the metal parts that come with the PRO version. It would make more sense to start with a plastic version if I know better.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post

2. The HL grey 380 is a low grade Mubachi knockoff. I replaced it with MaxFans390 which is similar to the HL Red390, but runs faster at 30000 rpm.
      3. The sleeve bearing of the HL steel gearbox creates a lot of vibration and noise. I replaced it with the Heng Xin gearbox.
      Where did you purchase the MaxFans390 and the HENGXIN TH16749 gearbox assembly? I searched Google, but could not find either item.

Comment

Originally posted by cmdrcody View Post

Where did you purchase the MxFans390 and the HENGXIN TH16749 gearbox assembly? I searched Google, but could not find either item.
        Amazon.com: Mxfans 7.2V-8.4V 21000RPM 390 Iron and Copper Electric Brush Motor with Wire for RC1:16 RC1:18 Model Car : Toys & Games

or

390 Brushed Motor w/Fan For RC 1/18 Wltoys A959 A969 A979 K929 757290277383 | eBay

I got mine at Amazon.

For the gearbox, search for Heng Long HL59 gearbox and select the lowest price ball bearing one. I like the Heng Xin design. Be warned that changing the motor on Heng Xin is a bit more tricky than other open frame gearboxes.

Comment

Just remember that the HL59 means High/Low motor mounting with 59mm shaft length. There are also ML (mid/low) and 49mm shaft lengths. Some tanks need the lower motors and shorter shafts or lower motors with the longer shafts so make sure you buy the right gearbox type for your tank if it's not a Heng Long Leopard. For example the T72 needs to use the ML59 gearboxes as the HL59 won't fit under the rear deck.

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
            Just remember that the HL59 means High/Low motor mounting with 59mm shaft length. There are also ML (mid/low) and 49mm shaft lengths. Some tanks need the lower motors and shorter shafts or lower motors with the longer shafts so make sure you buy the right gearbox type for your tank if it's not a Heng Long Leopard. For example the T72 needs to use the ML59 gearboxes as the HL59 won't fit under the rear deck.
            Thanks for the info as I'm new to this hobby format. My other hobby is much more expensive.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	havrWp.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	366364
            Well then, which ball bearing gearbox should I be looking for as an upgrade replacement for the OEM gearbox in the HL Leopard 2A6 Professional model? And if you could provide a URL address to few providers of it, I'd greatly appreciate it.
            Attached Files

Comment

I don't have a Leo so I'll let others recommend some gearboxes for it.

***off topic***

That's a good lookin' Indian. I've drooled over some of the newer Scout Bobbers, but they are just way too expensive for me. I actually ride less and less now that I have a 2021 Miata Club convertible. Probably going to be selling my last bike come spring (Honda VFR 800).

Comment

Thanks for the info as I'm new to this hobby format.
                Well then, which ball bearing gearbox should I be looking for as an upgrade replacement for the OEM gearbox in the HL Leopard 2A6 Professional model? And if you could provide a URL address to few providers of it, I'd greatly appreciate it.
                HL59mm Bearing Steel Gearbox 1/16 RC Henglong Tank 3838 3839 3878 3889 3908 3918 | eBay

Notice that the auction title says 3889 which is the Leopard 2A6.

The Taigen V2 gearbox is a very good ball bearing one and currently on sale.
                Taigen Tanks Steel Ball Bearing V2 Gearboxes

You cannot go wrong with either one. It is easier to change out the motors on the Taigen to MxFans390. You will have to get the Taigen sprocket or drill out the Heng Long one for Taigen.

Comment

Want to thank the HS members that responded to my post here. I just dropped the dime on making the purchase of the Heng Long German Leopard 2A6 Professional Edition 1/16 Scale Battle Tank - RTR; SKU: HLG3889-002
                  Will continue to update this post as I may be upgrading this tank's hardware and electronics in the future.
                  HS forum members beware - there will be no doubt further questions that will need to asked and answered from you'all.

Comment

When you receive the Leopard 2A6, run it in your typical setting for a few days. You may find the PRO version meets every expectation.

To be honest, I did the upgrades for the upgrade's shade. I was pretty happy with the HL metal track until Robinco99 pointed out to me how terrible the single pin track looks. I also found the track's hollow back side a dirt trap. It started a mad search for replacement and settle on the Tamiya track, also per Robinco. There are a lot of good advice from those old timers.

Comment

Originally posted by keilau View Post
                      To be honest, I did the upgrades for the upgrade's shade. I was pretty happy with the HL metal track until Robinco99 pointed out to me how terrible the single pin track looks. I also found the track's hollow back side a dirt trap. It started a mad search for replacement and settle on the Tamiya track, also per Robinco. There are a lot of good advice from those old timers.
                      Well that's good to know. Taigen Tanks has their warehouse just eighty miles from me in Brooksville, FL where they send out all the USA orders and they have that set of tracks in stock and they also have the H/L ball bearing gearboxes in stock for a great sale price. But all that is down the road till I give the 2A6 a good run.

Comment

The Leo was my second tank after the T-90. Both were bought from Toucan with all metal upgrades and the 360 turret. After the T-90 I emailed one of the Toucan people for quotes on all my tanks and parts and they always beat their web prices by 20-25%. Some parts I have gotten from Motion at great prices. I used Birchwood Casey aluminum black to do the treads and painted the sprockets, idlers and road wheels. No issues at all and the treads look great to me.

After that I got the Challenger, M1A2, Bulldog, t-34 and King Tiger. All had all the metal parts and 360 except the M1A2 and King Tiger which were the plastic versions.

I had issues with the Challenger throwing tread pins and bought upgraded (not sure of the brand) dual pin treads. I also added red motors to the larger tanks and output bearings on all of them.

I do not use the smokers and have had zero issues with any of them other than the tread issues on the Challenger. I'm very happy with my purchases and Toucans service and prices.

Comment

Well, my Heng Long German Leopard 2A6 Professional Edition arrived today from Motion RC and I'm quite totally bummed out. Pulling it out of the styrofoam packing the right metal track had a broken link and was busted apart. After taking a very close look at all the entire metal track links, I found 26 defectively cast metal links on the left side and 19 on the right side including the one broken metal track link.
                          Will know more about this issue next Monday after Motion RC opens back up and customer service tells me how they are going to handle this.

Name:	0113231520.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	367021Click image for larger version

Name:	0113231613_HDR.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	367022Click image for larger version

Name:	0113231647.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	367023Click image for larger version

Name:	0113231645.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	367024

Comment

First time I hear such massive defect from a HL cast. It is disheartening.

I posted my problem with an early age zinc alloy cast metal tank for my Pershing. But that was more than 10 years ago. My experience with 2 HL metal tracks were mixed. Poor in appearance, but strong in construction. I hope that HL did not change supplier that use poor quality cast material

Comment

Well, I finished up the Leopard 2A6 while I'm waiting for Motion RC to make a decision on what they're going to do about getting the defective metal track links issue cleared up. already thing about the Taigen or MatoMart metal tracks as replacing the HL type. Taigen's warehouse is only 80 miles from me in Brooksville, FL so I could be up and running quickly, but the MatoMart tracks would take two weeks before I had them in hand.
                              So, while I'm in limbo on this tank, I decided to make some upgrades while I'm waiting. Replaced the OEM motors with 390s, relocated the battery switch from the very stupid OEM location (have to leave the turret turned to access switch) and did the magnet install to be able to have easy access for cleaning or whatever other upgrades I may be doing int the future. So here it sets next to my T90 until everything is resolved.

Name:	0115231248a.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	367166Click image for larger version

Name:	0115231256.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	367167Click image for larger version

Name:	0115231325.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	367168

Comment

Whether you get the replacement metal track or not, per Rubicon99 the best track for the German Leopard 2A6 is the Tamiya track. Incidentally, it is also the cheapest aftermarket option if you order it from AAF Tank Museum PX.

I use it on my Leopard and never bookback.

Comment

The drive axle bearings arrived today. Got them installed. Have both inner and outer bearings now on the drive axle hub. Still no decision from MotionRC on the metal track links issue.

Name:	0116231448a.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	367276Click image for larger version

Name:	0116231650_HDR.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	367277
                                  Last edited by cmdrcody; Jan 16, 2023, 03:22 PM. Reason: Photo upload issue

Comment

Last edited by cmdrcody; Jan 16, 2023, 03:46 PM. Reason: Delete post

Comment

Well, I finished up the Leopard 2A6 while I'm waiting for Motion RC to make a decision on what they're going to do about getting the defective metal track links issue cleared up. already thing about the Taigen or MatoMart metal tracks as replacing the HL type. Taigen's warehouse is only 80 miles from me in Brooksville, FL so I could be up and running quickly, but the MatoMart tracks would take two weeks before I had them in hand.
                                      So, while I'm in limbo on this tank, I decided to make some upgrades while I'm waiting. Replaced the OEM motors with 390s, relocated the battery switch from the very stupid OEM location (have to leave the turret turned to access switch) and did the magnet install to be able to have easy access for cleaning or whatever other upgrades I may be doing int the future. So here it sets next to my T90 until everything is resolved.

Name:	0115231248a.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	367166Click image for larger version

Name:	0115231256.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	367167Click image for larger version

Name:	0115231325.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	367168
                                      Here's me digging this post up. I'm curious about your progress and experience with the Leopard? I'm curious how Motion ended up dealing with your track issue and if/how the Tamiya or Taigen tracks worked out for you and if or what else you needed to mod to use the replacement racks?sprockets? idlers, etc?

I'm considering the Leopard as my venture into a modern tank and really like and appreciate this informative post. As It looks I should just start with a plastic version maybe with the steel motors at the least and do my mods and upgrades separately.

Do the real Leopard tracks have rubber pads? If so does the Tamiya track have this feature? or is there another solid option?

How does the Leopard handle high speed running/bashing? I'd look to make this tank a fast yard runner since modern tanks look so good speeding around.

Thanks,

Chef

Comment

Went with the Mato metal tracks with the rubber pads. Had to glue the pads in place so they wouldn't keep coming out while making turns. Motion RC sent me a complete replacement set of metal tracks, but I want to fill in all the hollow sections on the inside before I install later. Note: Didn't have to replace drive sprocket or idler wheel to use Mato track. Tank really moves out with the red motors installed and upgraded the battery packs to home fabricated four cell ELB 5Ah battery packs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X