X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiomaster tx16s

I recently purchased a radiomaster tx16s transmitter. I did so because I want to experiment with a good quality programable radio. Particularly I want to try simulated gear changes and momentum with my two 1/16 tamiya centurions. I have only had the radio for a few days and so far things have gone well. I have gotten the sticks set up as I like them. Cannon, machine gun and the lights I added are all set up to work on switch throws. My first attempt at having two forward and two reverse gears with built in momentum has worked well and I have left the stick for controlling forward and reverse set without momentum effects so I can easily go between momentum and not-momentum.

One thing I have not been able to get working as yet: the arcane stick ninja routines​ that tamiya uses to simulate the tank crew turning off or on the tank’s engine. I think the problem lies in my not understanding exactly what tamiya is trying to have these moves do. It’s hard to emulate something and assign it to a switch when I dont understand just what I am trying to emulate. Has anyone programed the start engine and shut down engine stick ninja routines​ and assigned them to a switch? If so, what did you do?

Originally posted by oldwolf View Post
    I recently purchased a radiomaster tx16s transmitter. I did so because I want to experiment with a good quality programable radio. Particularly I want to try simulated gear changes and momentum with my two 1/16 tamiya centurions. I have only had the radio for a few days and so far things have gone well. I have gotten the sticks set up as I like them. Cannon, machine gun and the lights I added are all set up to work on switch throws. My first attempt at having two forward and two reverse gears with built in momentum has worked well and I have left the stick for controlling forward and reverse set without momentum effects so I can easily go between momentum and not-momentum.

One thing I have not been able to get working as yet: the arcane stick ninja routines​ that tamiya uses to simulate the tank crew turning off or on the tank’s engine. I think the problem lies in my not understanding exactly what tamiya is trying to have these moves do. It’s hard to emulate something and assign it to a switch when I dont understand just what I am trying to emulate. Has anyone programed the start engine and shut down engine stick ninja routines​ and assigned them to a switch? If so, what did you do?
    Tamiyas TX/RX control set up with their MFU is a bit of a PIA. I originally set mine up on DX8 TX/RX and swapping around the channels to get HL control stick movements. With the DX8 using dual rates it was easy to set up and simulate “gear shifts” by simply flicking the correspond switch. Running the start up and accessories function though became even more confusing with the HL stock set up.

I have since moved to the Tamiya Finespec TX/RX which can be set up in standard Tamiya stick layout or HL via the TX only. Also all the accessories / features are controlled by the push of buttons. No stick ninja stuff needed. Very nice radio for use with Tamiya systems. The draw back is you can’t really set up a dual rates to simulate shifting, well I have not been able to because the instructions are in Japanese, but it might be possible? Haven’t really missed the shifting capabilities of the DX8 but then again I found that I really did not use them much after a while.

Sorry this does not answer you question but to say you are not alone when it comes to the Tamiya MFUs.

Comment

Ah well, as they say, misery loves company and we agree the stick ninja approach is indeed a misery. As regards your manual being in Japanese, taking a picture of each paragraph brings up a dialog box asking if you want a translation on some phones or tablets. If you really want to put in the effort you could try that route. Strikes me the chance that the Tamiya radio actually does support dual rates is low, though.

Comment

HAH! Got it. I needed to add a half second delay between the emulation of the first stick move and the emulation of the second stick move. I had a feeling it was a timing issue. It also turned out that emulating the trim adjustments was not needed. Emulating 100% for the first stick move then a half second delay then emulating 100% on the second stick move and all is good.

Comment

This Radiomaster transmitter has been all I hoped it would be and perhaps more.
          One of the reasons I bought it is that I know of no one nearby who is into RC tanks. I always run my tanks by myself, which is ok, I have a couple of mostly wooded acres 15ish miles south of Bangor. Lots of challenging terrain. However, tanks, like anything else military almost always operate in groups. War is a team sport. I have experimented with running two tanks together but juggling two transmitters is pretty clumsy.
          Having read some articles in various forums by Rad Schuhart, I realized that a really good transmitter could let me have a lot more fun with my tanks.
          One thing I wanted was to set up one transmitter to run all my tanks and easily switch between them in a few seconds so I could simulate a small combat team. Radiomaster uses different stored, programed “models” to do this so I set that up. Works well, I can switch from tank to tank with a few button clicks. No more juggling two or more transmitters.
          Then, a few weeks ago, I had an epiphany. My two Tamiya centurions use 4 channel receivers. But the tank DMDs dont actually know what they are hooked up to, they just know what they get on 4 wires! I ordered two inexpensive 8 channel receivers sold by Radiolink. They arrived this past Monday. I set up one “model” named “both centurions” on my Radiomaster transmitter and bound both receivers to it. Then one receiver went in one centurion with its DMD wires plugged into channels 1 thru 4. The other receiver went in the other centurion with its DMD wires plugged into channels 5 thru 8. Radiomaster transmitters easily have twice the knobs, sticks and switches needed to run one of the tanks. I set up the left side of my Radiomaster to control one tank and the right side to run the other. I can now run two tanks independently, at the same time. No switching of “models” needed. Both tanks run at once but stop, start, turn, shoot, back up, etc entirely independent of each other. My Radiomaster still provides simulation of multiple gears and momentum (which Tamiyas DMD 11 doesnt provide) as well as assigning all the “stick ninja” control moves Tamiya loves to simple switches or buttons.
          I just got in from doing a 3 scale mile (990 feet) run over some of the trails on my property. Two tanks, running together, at once, as a team! Fabulous fun. Very challenging too, trying to keep track of what I needed to do second to second, lol! Actually got through the whole thing without getting either tank stuck, flipped over or broken. Now I must clean leaves, twigs and pine needles out of the running gear!

edited due to typos.

Comment

Wow, so inventive! Sounds great. Ok, now you have to use a third hand and take video.....actually, there is a way. I sometimes record my own video. To do this I have a tabletop tripod that holds an iPhone, and a remote shutter activator for it. The latter costs around $10 and uses a Bluetooth link. Set up the field of view with the camera & tripod. Press the remote to start videoing and do your drive through's. The iphone editor allows you to trim the front and back or other unwanted segments. I'm sure all phones have something equivalent.

I'd love to see tanks running through a forest. I grew up in New York.
            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

This Radiomaster transmitter has been all I hoped it would be and perhaps more.
              One of the reasons I bought it is that I know of no one nearby who is into RC tanks. I always run my tanks by myself, which is ok, I have a couple of mostly wooded acres 15ish miles south of Bangor. Lots of challenging terrain. However, tanks, like anything else military almost always operate in groups. War is a team sport. I have experimented with running two tanks together but juggling two transmitters is pretty clumsy.
              Having read some articles in various forums by Rad Schuhart, I realized that a really good transmitter could let me have a lot more fun with my tanks.
              One thing I wanted was to set up one transmitter to run all my tanks and easily switch between them in a few seconds so I could simulate a small combat team. Radiomaster uses different stored, programed “models” to do this so I set that up. Works well, I can switch from tank to tank with a few button clicks. No more juggling two or more transmitters.
              Then, a few weeks ago, I had an epiphany. My two Tamiya centurions use 4 channel receivers. But the tank DMDs dont actually know what they are hooked up to, they just know what they get on 4 wires! I ordered two inexpensive 8 channel receivers sold by Radiolink. They arrived this past Monday. I set up one “model” named “both centurions” on my Radiomaster transmitter and bound both receivers to it. Then one receiver went in one centurion with its DMD wires plugged into channels 1 thru 4. The other receiver went in the other centurion with its DMD wires plugged into channels 5 thru 8. Radiomaster transmitters easily have twice the knobs, sticks and switches needed to run one of the tanks. I set up the left side of my Radiomaster to control one tank and the right side to run the other. I can now run two tanks independently, at the same time. No switching of “models” needed. Both tanks run at once but stop, start, turn, shoot, back up, etc entirely independent of each other. My Radiomaster still provides simulation of multiple gears and momentum (which Tamiyas DMD 11 doesnt provide) as well as assigning all the “stick ninja” control moves Tamiya loves to simple switches or buttons.
              I just got in from doing a 3 scale mile (990 feet) run over some of the trails on my property. Two tanks, running together, at once, as a team! Fabulous fun. Very challenging too, trying to keep track of what I needed to do second to second, lol! Actually got through the whole thing without getting either tank stuck, flipped over or broken. Now I must clean leaves, twigs and pine needles out of the running gear!

edited due to typos.
              Running two tanks at the same time is pretty challenging it takes a lot of focus, but once you learn the skill it adds a entirely new level of fun to the hobby. 👍👍

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                Wow, so inventive! Sounds great. Ok, now you have to use a third hand and take video.....actually, there is a way. I sometimes record my own video. To do this I have a tabletop tripod that holds an iPhone, and a remote shutter activator for it. The latter costs around $10 and uses a Bluetooth link. Set up the field of view with the camera & tripod. Press the remote to start videoing and do your drive through's. The iphone editor allows you to trim the front and back or other unwanted segments. I'm sure all phones have something equivalent.

I'd love to see tanks running through a forest. I grew up in New York.
                Actually, I have a tank that mounts a nice little video camera instead of a gun. I have it set up as another “model” on my Radiomaster. It can take nice tank level videos and can be driven alternately with the two centurions. It can take pictures approaching the two centurions while they sit still then it can sit still and video the two centurions driving past. The camera could be mounted either on a centurion or perhaps better, be mounted on a trailer pulled by the rear centurion to video both in action while keeping up with them. That latter is on my list of things to try. First though I need to get more hands on experience driving two tanks at once. Never tried it before. It is a hoot!

Comment

I have put together a cam trailer for one of my centurions to pull. This morning I recorded a run with the two centurions with it. The cam is supposed to suppress vibration with its software but I think it still shook too much. Be that as it may, the two tanks are being controlled simultaneously with the one Radiomaster transmitter. One of the tanks did get snagged on something once and I had to reach down and give it a push. Otherwise all went pretty well, with a few missteps but no disasters.

I have attempted to post the video to my instagram account. No idea if it worked and is viewable. My instagram is: oldwolf1946. Feelfree to take a look and let me know if it actually can be viewed. In my experience, the first try on such a thing never works.

Comment

I have attempted to post the video to my instagram account. No idea if it worked and is viewable. My instagram is: oldwolf1946. Feelfree to take a look and let me know if it actually can be viewed. In my experience, the first try on such a thing never works.
                    How about posting your video here on the RC tank forum. Bob seems to have no trouble posting his videos here.
                    Some of us don't have or never will subscribe to Instagram.

Comment

Your video displayed fine on Instagram. Impressive double driving skills. I really like the trailer POV. Sure does looks like New England! Nicely done.

I do like putting my videos on YouTube so they’re accessible whenever for anyone. The way I do it is: there are a number of format options on the banner over the message text box. One is an icon of “film”. Get and copy the address of your desired YouTube video. Select the film icon. In the box it shows, paste the YouTube address you copied. Tada!

Comment

Originally posted by cmdrcody View Post

How about posting your video here on the RC tank forum. Bob seems to have no trouble posting his videos here.
                        Some of us don't have or never will subscribe to Instagram.
                        I will see what I can figure out. It may be a tad long, a bit over 12 minutes. Do they have a length limit on such things here?

Comment

Your video displayed fine on Instagram. Impressive double driving skills. I really like the trailer POV. Sure does looks like New England! Nicely done.

I do like putting my videos on YouTube so they’re accessible whenever for anyone. The way I do it is: there are a number of format options on the banner over the message text box. One is an icon of “film”. Get and copy the address of your desired YouTube video. Select the film icon. In the box it shows, paste the YouTube address you copied. Tada!
                          Would that work on something posted on instagram? Or will I need to post the video to YouTube ?

Comment

There's no length limit to Youtube videos, folks have posted full movies there. If you use my procedure, you are not posting the video on the forum, it's just the link to Youtube. I've tried it with an Instagram video. It needs an address, and I don't know how Instagram does it. Yours is a long video, which would take a while to upload to Youtube, but once it's there, it's easy to access in your library.

Comment

There's no length limit to Youtube videos, folks have posted full movies there. If you use my procedure, you are not posting the video on the forum, it's just the link to Youtube. I've tried it with an Instagram video. It needs an address, and I don't know how Instagram does it. Yours is a long video, which would take a while to upload to Youtube, but once it's there, it's easy to access in your library.
                              Ok, I will see about setting up a youtube account.

Comment

Ok, this is supposed to be the link to the video. We shall see. Ooops, so private I cant even see it, lol. Need to adjust something on youtube.

There we go.

Comment

oldwolf, suxh an awesome concept, process and result. I have had the same idea at a time or another but never thought it through or knew enough how to accomplish this.

Nice video shared. Great job!

Comment

Thank you, sir. The guy who inspired me to try this is Rad Schuhart. He has a website: https://radindustries.wordpress.com and sometimes posts on: https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-tanks-369/ or on: https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/. I dont know if he ever posts on here.

He seems to be totally correct that the key to getting the tanks to do what we want is the radio transmitter. The tanks I am using are stock full option Tamiya. They do not come with either simulated momentum nor simulated gearing. I have added that using the Radiomaster transmitter. Not that momentum or gearing is at all obvious in the terrain I was driving them in. I never took them out of the lowest gear speed.

Once I have developed more skill in running the two of them together, I will add in some targets that can shoot back at them. I use the “anti-tank mines” that LegoDEI sells on Etsy. By setting them up on end and enabling them to fire once every 3 seconds they simulate anti-tank guns or missiles.

The camera trailer idea I got from Dan Batten, who moderates the facebook rc tank group: Tanks in the Field.

Comment

Working...
                                    X