X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Actually the San Diego field is pretty easy on tanks and the fine sandy silt is near perfect for driving tanks on. The red "ice plants" can be easily driven over as long a you do not turn abruptly while doing so. It comes down to technique and once you learn what can be done and can't the field becomes a wonderland of driving fun. My M60s just eat the field up and I had no de tracking the entire day. You will see it becomes easier and easier the more you drive there.

Your issues are easily solved and here is what I recommend as it has been proven to work exceptionally well. The main problem: HL metal tracks you are running. If you upgrade to Tamiya Leopard 2 or Tamiya Abrams tracks you will see a substantial increase in running reliability on all terrain types. Both these tracks work with HL Abrams sprockets. You will need to shorten the Leopard 2 tracks by two links which is easily done. I don't know if you have installed the drive shaft support bearing but if you haven't then do so. These are very helpful especially if combined with the following paragraphs recommendations.

Why Tamiya tracks? The reason is multi fold. First the Tamiya tracks are "dual pin" like the real tracks, not single pin like HL tracks. This means they are more flexible and forgiving. The second is that the Tamiya tracks have slightly taller guide teeth. These provided a bit more hold against the sprocket center retaining ring and this in turn helps them resist "over ridding" the retaining ring. Third the Tamiya tracks are lighter then all metal tracks (hybrid design of nylon pad, steel pins, steel end connectors and hard rubber pads) but just as if not stronger. Lastly the Tamiya tracks are solid and not hallowed out like the stock HL tracks. This means they do not have the "shoveling" effect that the HL do as the hallows fill with sand/dirt and carry it up and over the sprockets. Less sand/dirt flowing over the sprockets mean less opportunity for foreign matter to cause a de tracking event.

The Tamiya tracks very in price and I would recommend buying the Leopard 2 tracks as these are much cheap then the Tamiya Abrams tracks. A set of Tamiya Leopard 2 tracks should run about $100 which is comparable to other aftermarket non Tamiya tracks for the Abrams.
    Wow, so much to learn from you guys and quite an upgrade need to be done ($150 track, $40drive shaft support). Thanks!

Comment

Unless your Abrams is older, I believe that the drive support bearing is not expensive sourced at Amazon. I think I got a set of bearings for under $10. I think it was this set actually:

If you pull the sprocket off, you would see a little spot for the bearing to just press right in. I did that on mine and it helped!

Clay

Comment

Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

Actually the San Diego field is pretty easy on tanks and the fine sandy silt is near perfect for driving tanks on. The red "ice plants" can be easily driven over as long a you do not turn abruptly while doing so. It comes down to technique and once you learn what can be done and can't the field becomes a wonderland of driving fun. My M60s just eat the field up and I had no de tracking the entire day. You will see it becomes easier and easier the more you drive there.

Your issues are easily solved and here is what I recommend as it has been proven to work exceptionally well. The main problem: HL metal tracks you are running. If you upgrade to Tamiya Leopard 2 or Tamiya Abrams tracks you will see a substantial increase in running reliability on all terrain types. Both these tracks work with HL Abrams sprockets. You will need to shorten the Leopard 2 tracks by two links which is easily done. I don't know if you have installed the drive shaft support bearing but if you haven't then do so. These are very helpful especially if combined with the following paragraphs recommendations.

Why Tamiya tracks? The reason is multi fold. First the Tamiya tracks are "dual pin" like the real tracks, not single pin like HL tracks. This means they are more flexible and forgiving. The second is that the Tamiya tracks have slightly taller guide teeth. These provided a bit more hold against the sprocket center retaining ring and this in turn helps them resist "over ridding" the retaining ring. Third the Tamiya tracks are lighter then all metal tracks (hybrid design of nylon pad, steel pins, steel end connectors and hard rubber pads) but just as if not stronger. Lastly the Tamiya tracks are solid and not hallowed out like the stock HL tracks. This means they do not have the "shoveling" effect that the HL do as the hallows fill with sand/dirt and carry it up and over the sprockets. Less sand/dirt flowing over the sprockets mean less opportunity for foreign matter to cause a de tracking event.

The Tamiya tracks very in price and I would recommend buying the Leopard 2 tracks as these are much cheap then the Tamiya Abrams tracks. A set of Tamiya Leopard 2 tracks should run about $100 which is comparable to other aftermarket non Tamiya tracks for the Abrams.
        Hi Rubicon, instead of Tamiya track, would Torro Leopard 2A6 metal track do, or not good either. Thks.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmorBolt View Post

Hi Rubicon, instead of Tamiya track, would Torro Leopard 2A6 metal track do, or not good either. Thks.
          Nope, Tamiya tracks are far superior. Lighter, taller guide teeth and hard rubber compound on pads.

Torro is no better the HL tracks.

Comment

Some more pics from our fun field and battle day
            Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7986.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	380901Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7988.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	380902

Name:	KIMG8005.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	380903Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7985.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	380904Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG8001.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	380905Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7992.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	380906Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7987.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	380907Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7997.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	380908Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7994.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	380909Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG7995.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	380910
            RC tank parts and accessories I make
            www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Originally posted by ccarley View Post
              Unless your Abrams is older, I believe that the drive support bearing is not expensive sourced at Amazon. I think I got a set of bearings for under $10. I think it was this set actually:

If you pull the sprocket off, you would see a little spot for the bearing to just press right in. I did that on mine and it helped!

Clay
              Thanks Clay! I will look into getting that, save some $.

Comment

I think a tank with the Red Desert MERDC camo would like right at home on that field. :)

Comment

Here's that same field this Spring. No red then!

Name:	IMG_3416.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	381027

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Originally posted by tank_me View Post
                    I think a tank with the Red Desert MERDC camo would like right at home on that field. :)
                    An LA member had one I painted for him. It blends in very well.
                    RC tank parts and accessories I make
                    www.RichardSJohnson.net/id28.html

Comment

Working...
                    X