Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an Ender 3 Pro and really like it. The head speed I am running is alittle high at around 1350'ish but I want to start bringing it down some. I heard from one person who also has the Roban Apache who said he ran 950 on a clam day (winds 3 mph or less) and around 1150 if winds were 5 mph. I have a 515kV motor in mine.

Comment

To be clear, the Radome in the pictures was designed by Dustin Holloman. I just printed it.

Comment

Opening up the passageways above and behind the pilots head. Just using poster board to make templates first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191108_232627-2016x1512.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	218632

Name:	IMG_20191108_232623-2016x1512.jpg
Views:	894
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	218633

Name:	IMG_20191108_232554-2016x1512.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	218634

Comment

Before...

Name:	IMG_20190920_174259.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	218713

After...

Name:	IMG_20191109_224338-2016x1512.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	218714

Name:	IMG_20191109_224329-2016x1512.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	218715

Comment

Very nice! Looks much better with the open ducts!

Comment

Agreed, it's small things like this that really bring together the entire model!

I have a couple Ender 3 printers as well, like you, Steve. I'm printing up a part for my M1 as I type this. These printers are so handy and almost completely hassle free once they're dialed in.

What other scale tidbits do you have planned for your Apache?
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                Agreed, it's small things like this that really bring together the entire model!

I have a couple Ender 3 printers as well, like you, Steve. I'm printing up a part for my M1 as I type this. These printers are so handy and almost completely hassle free once they're dialed in.

What other scale tidbits do you have planned for your Apache?
                I have ordered a bunch of detail parts specifically for the Roban Apache from Fine Scale Modella. My next order of business will be installing the stab hinge from Dustin Holloman and articulating it. In addition, Michael Brown who also has one of these is working on the upturned exhausts as found on many late 'D' models and the current 'E's. Once all the detail parts are added which include a tail strobe and retractable flood light I will then need to decide what livery I am going with. I am not even ruling out a fantasy scheme. The trouble I am running into is that every Apache I see is different. They are like fingerprints. No two are alike so I can't decide. I tell ya' though, one can really go crazy with one of these things. I keep wondering when I will be done. I really like the looks of this one but it could be even harder to see below the treeline than it already is so still thinking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.5 KB ID:	218786

Comment

According to the color chart I found the brown is supposed to be Sand Yellow which appears lighter than what I am seeing in some real life images. Taking into account variations in image quality, which one looks better?

Sand Yellow?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Japan Apache.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.5 KB ID:	218846

or more of a Military Brown?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Japan Apache2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.1 KB ID:	218847

Comment

In your deeper brown photo, the brown appears more saturated, at least on my SRGB calibrated computer screen, than the real JSDF colors appear as I recall from personal observation. Regardless, I prefer the lighter sand, if only because it will provide a better base for weathering, fading, and differential panels. Your sand image appears a bit too yellow. Something between the two may be best for a model in your scale.

Then again, images on computer screens are so often misleading, so I say go with your instinct and personal preference. In any event, your Roban Apache is shaping up to be the best I've seen on the internet.

Comment

The next mod. Ammo cover. Still a little smoothing to do but it's basically done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20191112_000000-1296x972.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	219060

Comment

Colors for the camo scheme.

Name:	IMG_20191112_195404-1296x972.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	219152

US Medium Green FS 34102, Rust-Oleum Warm Caramel and Flat Black.

Comment

That looks good to me! Are you going to hard mask, soft mask, or freehand?

Comment

Yes! 😃 Most likely hard mask a good part of it with some freehand airbrushing.

Comment

Name:	48937_1339598607.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	219158

Comment

Great work bro!

Comment

Added the wire strike diverter to the tail wheel.

Name:	IMG_20191118_012355-1944x1458.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	219666

Name:	IMG_20191118_011823-1944x1458.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	219667

Comment

A huge shout out to Dustin Holloman (thisguy65) of Raven Rock Machine who designed and fabricated a sturdy aluminum hinge to allow the stab on my Apache to articulate. If you ever need any CAD or machining services, hit him up. I love the networking that happens on this forum.

Comment

I love the networking aspect of Hobby Squawk, too! I would never have guessed that thisguy65 was a machinist. Good work and hats off to the both of you. This mod really helps sell the realism.

...Hellfires next?

Comment

Looking great! Dustin did a great job on that hinge. As for scheduling the collective to the H-stab, typically it's done the other way around. The H-stab should be down (fully stalled) in hover and be level in fwd flight. Otherwise you'll get a pretty large nose down pitching moment with airspeed. On the full scale, the H-stab is controlled by a variety of parameters including airspeed, pitch attitude, and collective.

Comment

F106DeltaDart

Would you recommend a mix to pitch, perhaps on a loose curve (to approximate correlating airspeed), or maybe just on a gyro? I'm unaware of a mixer to coordinate all three.

Comment

Working...
                                          X