X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Freewing 70mm F-104 Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the Freewing 70mm F-104. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this iconic aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Freewing's newest jet has been released and is In Stock, ready to ship today! Fast and stable fun at a great price for its size. Read more info here:

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-f-104-starfighter-70mm-edf-jet-pnp/

For those concerned about the F-104's slow flight capability, here's brief video clip showing its stability during landing. Notice the very short rollout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3By8wAZdMJM

We'll be uploading more videos shortly.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

RE: Freewing F-104 Starfighter

Why the oversized ESC (80amps)? As your sales writeup for the F-104 states it is the same power system as the Su 35 which has a 60 amp ESC. I've had no issues with the power system in the SU -35. Are the retracts the small ones found in the F-5 or are they the larger one found in the other 80 mm offerings?

Looks like I'll need to get one of these!

Comment

Nice, looks good! Can't wait!

Comment

I would like to see the USAF version.

While stationed in Germany (87-99) There was an Italian squadron who had their 104 in a yellow blue with a tiger (or was it a lion) painted on the side. It came in one day and the drag chute didn't deploy. I got to pull it out of a ditch. The adventures of working crash recovery.
          Off with one helluva roar!
          AMA 1085465

Comment

Hello Pilots, I have to say, what interest me the most, is the 6S Battery with a 70MM EDF! I'll bet that in itself is a Rocket ship, it's one of those things we've all wanted to do! Like running a 5S battery in a 4S aircraft, it outright fly's faster! So, I really hope some of you "heartier pilots" will brave the new purchase and let me know? I currently have to save my pennies for a rainy day. I can't buy one yet, I just hope you get this one. It proves to be what I'm hoping! You see, not all of us at Motion RC get to fly all these awesome jets! You get to proof, it's a cool jet? You'll always know, that we are here to help. So, don't worry too much, if it's not what you expected. I have faith in our Builders that it's a Winner! Enjoy. Matt
            [hr]
            Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ
            Nice, looks good! Can't wait!
            Oh sure, you get to be the lucky one to fly this baby! Man, I'd love to fly this one! These are the ships that made America great! Although, we always sold them to the Vietnam folks due to it's short comings as a fighter. Save the Big Boy ToyZ for Us! Well, let us know how she goes! 90MPH is pretty cool!

Comment

Some tips for our early adopters of this new aircraft. I see that some of you are about to receive your F-104s so I wanted to pop in and share some data. FN-RC collaborated directly with Freewing for this aircraft, so I didn’t write the manual on this one and accordingly don’t know what throws they will recommend. But I thought I’d share the settings on the F-104 I’ve been flying for a few months now. These settings are what about 15 other pilots have flown. They’re a little sedate for my liking, but if 15 random people agree these are good settings for them, then certainly that carries more weight for the general public. These are the settings used to accomplish the slow landing shown here (full flaps ~75 degrees, ~5mph headwind):

AILERONS: Servo arm: Outer hole, Control surface: Middle hole
              Ailerons High: 14mm (60% on my Hitec radio), 40% Expo
              Ailerons Low: 12mm (50% on my radio), 35% Expo

ELEVATOR: Servo arm: Outer hole, Control surface: Outer hole
              Elevator High: 20mm (100% on my radio), 40% Expo
              Elevator Low: 15mm (90% on my radio), 35% Expo

RUDDER: Servo arm: Outer hole, Control surface: Outer hole
              Rudder High/Low: (100% on my radio), 35% Expo

FLAPS: Servo arm: Outer hole, Control surface: Middle hole
              Flaps Half: 30mm (+4mm of Up Elevator)
              Flaps Full: 40mm (+6mm of Up Elevator)

CG point, with the top of the elevator level with the horizontal stabilizer, gear deployed and model upright and ready to fly: 25mm-32mm back from the leading edge of the wing, measured at the parting seam between the wing and the fuselage. Start more nose heavy as you desire, but doing so lengthens the takeoff roll and quickens the approach proportionally.

Other tips:

1) My timer is set for 3:30. As always, I recommend setting your timer on a maiden for 2:30, and spend most of that shooting approaches after trimming and stall testing. The F-104 can fly very slowly with a headwind. Without one, it's not much of a glider, so keep power up just a touch on landings. 'No reason why we need to land it like a rocket. My video shows what to shoot for, and your landing gear will last a long time. Metal trunions for all three retracts, and the wire struts are easily bent back after a rough landing.

2) Cruising at half is fun and easy. Don't feel like you need to blast around at 100% throttle. Keep the model close to you... this one is very much like the Mirage: If you can see it, you can fly it. If you can't see it... time for a dirt nap.

3) Reduce your steering throw or increase expo if you're tipping during landing/taxiing. The F-104 has a narrow stance like the F-16.

4) The nose magnets were a little too weak for my liking. The good news is they make a great gauge of your landings. If you plop it down, the nose will pop off. If you settle in and flare nicely, the nose stays on. Joking aside, some people might want to add another magnet there.

5) EPS is lightweight, which plays into why this model handles as it does. I added a strip of clear packing tape along the leading edge of the wings to repel hangar rash. The EPS is much more resistant to bubbling when placed in direct sunlight, but the black cockpit under the canopy will still bubble so be wary of prolonged exposure.

6) Don't worry if your ventral fin gets ground down during low passes or belly landings. I *think* mine flies better now that the fin has been ground down by 80%, ha.

7) After rotation, keep the model level for a couple seconds to allow it to build speed, before turning. You'll see that at certain angles of attack and speed, a bit of dutch roll is experienced.

8) Once you're comfortable with the model, try accelerating into a vertical climb, reduce power at the top as it runs out of inertia, then pull full elevator. You'll see how the model reacts with an easily recoverable dropout.

9) When I first published this thread months ago, FN-RC had asked us to recommend a second paint scheme to accompany their Taiwanese SEA camo. We ultimately recommended two, the NASA blue belly, and a generic silver fuselage/white winged version with a multiple decal set option to model four liveries. As development progressed, however, FN-RC opted to simplify production with just a single SEA camo scheme and two decal sets (ROC and USAF). Their thinking was if the model was popular, then in the future other schemes might be offered. Probably in 12-18 months.

10) Regarding the chatter about FN-RC's 90mm and 100+mm F-104, that product will not be distributed here in the US at this point. Not because we wouldn't want to carry it, but because according to FN-RC the 90mm and 100+mm are hand built. Basically they have a guy with a wire bow who assembles kits by hand. At this point Freewing is handling the mass production of the 70mm F-104, along with spare parts assemblies, warranty support, etc, which is why this is the only F-104 we will have for the forseeable future. We'll see in 2017 if that changes.

Comment

Here's the maiden:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQVIUPtQEw
                I added some lighting but not finished. Mistakenly said it was a five blade in the video but it's a six.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smt7fUqWQ68

Comment

Experimenting with full flaps landings
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON38MaiE8f4&feature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                    Some tips for our early adopters of this new aircraft. I see that some of you are about to receive your F-104s so I wanted to pop in and share some data. FN-RC collaborated directly with Freewing for this aircraft, so I didn’t write the manual on this one and accordingly don’t know what throws they will recommend. But I thought I’d share the settings on the F-104 I’ve been flying for a few months now. These settings are what about 15 other pilots have flown. They’re a little sedate for my liking, but if 15 random people agree these are good settings for them, then certainly that carries more weight for the general public. These are the settings used to accomplish the slow landing shown here (full flaps ~75 degrees, ~5mph headwind):

AILERONS: Servo arm: Outer hole, Control surface: Middle hole
                    Ailerons High: 14mm (60% on my Hitec radio), 40% Expo
                    Ailerons Low: 12mm (50% on my radio), 35% Expo

ELEVATOR: Servo arm: Outer hole, Control surface: Outer hole
                    Elevator High: 20mm (100% on my radio), 40% Expo
                    Elevator Low: 15mm (90% on my radio), 35% Expo

RUDDER: Servo arm: Outer hole, Control surface: Outer hole
                    Rudder High/Low: (100% on my radio), 35% Expo

FLAPS: Servo arm: Outer hole, Control surface: Middle hole
                    Flaps Half: 30mm (+4mm of Up Elevator)
                    Flaps Full: 40mm (+6mm of Up Elevator)

CG point, with the top of the elevator level with the horizontal stabilizer, gear deployed and model upright and ready to fly: 25mm-32mm back from the leading edge of the wing, measured at the parting seam between the wing and the fuselage. Start more nose heavy as you desire, but doing so lengthens the takeoff roll and quickens the approach proportionally.

Other tips:

1) My timer is set for 3:30. As always, I recommend setting your timer on a maiden for 2:30, and spend most of that shooting approaches after trimming and stall testing. The F-104 can fly very slowly with a headwind. Without one, it's not much of a glider, so keep power up just a touch on landings. 'No reason why we need to land it like a rocket. My video shows what to shoot for, and your landing gear will last a long time. Metal trunions for all three retracts, and the wire struts are easily bent back after a rough landing.

2) Cruising at half is fun and easy. Don't feel like you need to blast around at 100% throttle. Keep the model close to you... this one is very much like the Mirage: If you can see it, you can fly it. If you can't see it... time for a dirt nap.

3) Reduce your steering throw or increase expo if you're tipping during landing/taxiing. The F-104 has a narrow stance like the F-16.

4) The nose magnets were a little too weak for my liking. The good news is they make a great gauge of your landings. If you plop it down, the nose will pop off. If you settle in and flare nicely, the nose stays on. Joking aside, some people might want to add another magnet there.

5) EPS is lightweight, which plays into why this model handles as it does. I added a strip of clear packing tape along the leading edge of the wings to repel hangar rash. The EPS is much more resistant to bubbling when placed in direct sunlight, but the black cockpit under the canopy will still bubble so be wary of prolonged exposure.

6) Don't worry if your ventral fin gets ground down during low passes or belly landings. I *think* mine flies better now that the fin has been ground down by 80%, ha.

7) After rotation, keep the model level for a couple seconds to allow it to build speed, before turning. You'll see that at certain angles of attack and speed, a bit of dutch roll is experienced.

8) Once you're comfortable with the model, try accelerating into a vertical climb, reduce power at the top as it runs out of inertia, then pull full elevator. You'll see how the model reacts with an easily recoverable dropout.

9) When I first published this thread months ago, FN-RC had asked us to recommend a second paint scheme to accompany their Taiwanese SEA camo. We ultimately recommended two, the NASA blue belly, and a generic silver fuselage/white winged version with a multiple decal set option to model four liveries. As development progressed, however, FN-RC opted to simplify production with just a single SEA camo scheme and two decal sets (ROC and USAF). Their thinking was if the model was popular, then in the future other schemes might be offered. Probably in 12-18 months.

10) Regarding the chatter about FN-RC's 90mm and 100+mm F-104, that product will not be distributed here in the US at this point. Not because we wouldn't want to carry it, but because according to FN-RC the 90mm and 100+mm are hand built. Basically they have a guy with a wire bow who assembles kits by hand. At this point Freewing is handling the mass production of the 70mm F-104, along with spare parts assemblies, warranty support, etc, which is why this is the only F-104 we will have for the forseeable future. We'll see in 2017 if that changes.
                    I see you are out of stock already.  Will you get more anytime soon?

Comment

Morning flight
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpoqa6Bjt9E

Comment

Great flight, Urrl. I really appreciate all your videos, they give an accurate view of how this aircraft handles when controlled properly by a comfortable pilot such as yourself. Keep sharing!

Here's one I flew last weekend. Stock 6s 4000mAh power system on a Freewing 70mm F-104 from Motion RC. This flight drained only 1340mAh because most of the flight was flown around half throttle or less and appropriate elevator to demonstrate the aircraft's behavior at slow speeds at a variety of attitudes --level flight, shallow turns, at the top of a climb, etc. Surprisingly stable at speeds under which most onlookers would guess the model can be flown safely. Short takeoff with ~10 degrees of flaps, and short landing with ~80 degrees of flaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncL54BRuic

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC
                          Great flight, Urrl. I really appreciate all your videos, they give an accurate view of how this aircraft handles when controlled properly by a comfortable pilot such as yourself. Keep sharing!

Here's one I flew last weekend. Stock 6s 4000mAh power system on a Freewing 70mm F-104 from Motion RC. This flight drained only 1340mAh because most of the flight was flown around half throttle or less and appropriate elevator to demonstrate the aircraft's behavior at slow speeds at a variety of attitudes --level flight, shallow turns, at the top of a climb, etc. Surprisingly stable at speeds under which most onlookers would guess the model can be flown safely. Short takeoff with ~10 degrees of flaps, and short landing with ~80 degrees of flaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncL54BRuic
                          Looks like you have it dialed in quite nicely. I'm waiting on a hopefully quieter  14 blade  fan combo. Very eager to see how it performs.

Comment

I cannot believe you are out already. When is the nest shipment due?

Comment

My concern is that I don't see any parts support. Is this still in pre-production status? When do you expect full production and part support? And I hoping there will be other liveries, like maybe a Tiger games

Comment

The spare parts shipped at the same time that the aircraft did, but they were in different containers. Unfortunately, the spare parts container was delayed by a Customs inspection, over which we have zero control. The good news is we should receive that container in about two weeks. Like all our products, we strongly emphasize spare parts support and endeavor to maintain sufficient inventory to support our customers' needs.

Comment

Saturday morning's flight.
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qj48CF2TRc
                                  Today I replaced the 12 blade with a 14 blade and upgraded to a 100A ESC plus an external BEC in case a malfunction occurs. Hoping for more whoosh. Possible test flight tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by urrl
                                    Saturday morning's flight.
                                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qj48CF2TRc
                                    Today I replaced the 12 blade with a 14 blade and upgraded to a 100A ESC plus an external BEC in case a malfunction occurs. Hoping for more whoosh. Possible test flight tomorrow.
                                    Looks great! Always have had a soft spot for the F104, but I never thought an RC version would be viable due to the little wings and long fuselage. I thought it would be very unstable and difficult to fly. You make it look easy my friend! Keep it going!

Comment

I like the sound of the newly installed 14 blade fan/motor combo with 100A ESC:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0J78_goZ4I&feature=youtu.be

http://edfhobbies.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=77_78&product_id=402
                                      http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-flyfun-100a.html

Comment

Another early morning 14 blade flight

Comment

Working...
                                        X