X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
    The YF-22 wasn't my thing so bring on the next 80mm or 90mm EDF hopefully soon, kind of bored with what I have now.......:)LOL
    I have one question for you? Does that Bell 47 actually fly?

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
      s
      I have one question for you? Does that Bell 47 actually fly?

Woody
      It has flown many flights by me, then one day I decided to sell it to a friend, he never flew it and passed away a few yrs ago and his wife wanted me to have it back in memory of him, so I made a special shelf for it. It only needs servos, blades and rx to fly, but I don't plan on flying it again, it's in very nice shape and I want to keep it that way , Century doesn't have parts for it anymore. Thanks for asking.

Comment

It has flown many flights by me, then one day I decided to sell it to a friend, he never flew it and passed away a few yrs ago and his wife wanted me to have it back in memory of him, so I made a special shelf for it. It only needs servos, blades and rx to fly, but I don't plan on flying it again, it's in very nice shape and I want to keep it that way , Century doesn't have parts for it anymore. Thanks for asking.
        That's a special model for sure. I could tell it just seeing in a picture. I would probably do the same thing.

Best Regards
        Woody

Comment

• I'm thinking maybe a 1600mm P-39 for an prop and late 40's/early 50's era EDF with tip tanks! Or, go the other way and a large "Last of the Breed" prop like a Supermarine Spiteful, De Havilland Hornet, P/F-82 Mustang, Tempest VI/SeaFury.

Comment

• Here's a thought. wouldn't it be good if when you made a new model you considered something no one else is making? Ya know kind of like you did with the F-4, when you decided to make it. Yes, there were other F-4's, (RCblitsworks doesn't count). Jet hanger hobbies had a beautiful kit, but most will spend a year getting it going.

So about a year ago, I suggested a C-130. Got laughed off of this forum, and guess what? HK made it! It is arguably the most popular plane on the market, entire inventory worldwide sold out in about 4 hours.

When models sell like this, they make all sorts of things possible for manufacturers. I think we call this a high rate of return.

The old faithful warbirds are going to sell eventually, but they are never going to sell a complete inventory in 4 hours flat. This is just a fact. Yes, the hardcore Motion supporters are going to run right out and buy whatever you put out. But this is not going to keep you in business, you know it, and I know it. When you have a hoard of customers that don't particularly like you or your brand lined up out the door to buy your planes. It at the very least gives you the opportunity to win new customers, and sell a lot of product. Sounds like a win win to me.

Ya know the funny thing, I mentioned a Grumman Albatross a few months after the C-130, and once again I got the, "Why would anyone want that"! Basically told how silly I was. Do you think lightning can strike twice? We will see, I know I'm watching and waiting trying not to miss it. Honest truth. I wonder if I'm the only one?

So you can just keep doing the same thing, or? You might consider breaking out. Just a thought.

So I watched an old movie this weekend, "The Final Count Down". This was my NAVY. I was never on the Nimitz, I did spend a brief period on the Constellation though as a pretty young lieutenant. This movie is a showcase of late seventies US Naval Aviation. If you haven't seen it, you need to watch this movie.

Now if you take the time and watch it, one thing might get your attention. You might notice just how many A-7 Corsair II's there were in the NAVY at this time. The one thing I never heard about an A-7 was this, "The A-7 was commonly referred to as SLUF" ("Short Little Ugly Fucker") by pilots". Now I'm a recently retired US Navy Captian, been around the Navy most of my adult life, been around many, many A-7's and pilots of A-7's, and never heard that old saying. Go figure.

First thing, is if you ever stood by an A-7, the first thing that would jump out at you, is how beautiful a plane it is. The next thing you will notice is there is nothing little about it. It carries twice the operational payload as an A-4, and has twice the range. Pilots love this plane dearly.

Ya know there are "NO A-7 Corsair II MODELS available today". Not a single one that I know of anywhere. This was a beloved US NAVY AIRCRAFT that has been totally forgotten and basically given the middle finger by the entire RC industry. Very disrespectful in my opinion. Very disrespectful indeed.

So I'll ask you this simple question. Do you want to sell 100 models a day, or a 1000 models a day? Recounting all the WW2 stuff is the 100 plane a day option. Just my opinion.

Woody

Comment

• You see though Woody, the thing is, like art, an aircraft's appeal is completely subjective. There's very little models with universal appeal. I love the look of the F-22 and was super excited when I found out we were developing a FW 90mm version. When it was announced, I was surprised how many said "Meh. The F-22 doesn't do anything for me." I was like, "What?!?!" Take your A-7 Corsair II as example. No disrespect to you or the Navy of course but you call it beautiful and I look at it with a much different opinion as far as what my definition of beauty is in an aircraft. This illustrates my point that there is no one magical model that everybody will want. What is one's aircraft muse is another's "fugly". It's hard to change folk's opinions on what they like and what they don't and why it is they like or don't like a model. It's a tricky industry in that light.
              My YouTube RC videos:
              https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                You see though Woody, the thing is, like art, an aircraft's appeal is completely subjective. There's very little models with universal appeal. I love the look of the F-22 and was super excited when I found out we were developing a FW 90mm version. When it was announced, I was surprised how many said "Meh. The F-22 doesn't do anything for me." I was like, "What?!?!" Take your A-7 Corsair II as example. No disrespect to you or the Navy of course but you call it beautiful and I look at it with a much different opinion as far as what my definition of beauty is in an aircraft. This illustrates my point that there is no one magical model that everybody will want. What is one's aircraft muse is another's "fugly". It's hard to change folk's opinions on what they like and what they don't and why it is they like or don't like a model. It's a tricky industry in that light.
                Ya know my friend, Talk to the Avios C-130. No one wanted that one ether. Remember? No one wanted an Albatross ether, let's see how that one does?
                I'm telling ya that A-7 would sell. You would be the only ones with it. But carry on my friend. What's that ole saying, ya can lead a horse to water but ya....

Take care mate
                Woody

Comment

• A7 all day over the F22.

Problem bieng with the F22 is its boring,all the real planes are boring shades of gray blobs.

Look at the variations of schemes to be had by the A7 much more fun to make your own.

Not much you can do with the F22, I am sure it flies good but I sit and stare at mine more than fly them with this weather lately.:Straight-Face:

Comment

• I'm not saying the A-7 wouldn't sell. That's missing my point. What I am saying is not every model is for every one. I would be perfectly happy watching us sell a boat-load of A-7s to happy customers. I will just continue flying my F-22 and other jets and warbirds I love.

It's a win-win! :)
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                      I'm not saying the A-7 wouldn't sell. That's missing my point. What I am saying is not every model is for every one. I would be perfectly happy watching us sell a boat-load of A-7s to happy customers. I will just continue flying my F-22 and other jets and warbirds I love.

It's a win-win! :)
                      I agree completely Aros. Sorry if it seems if I'm grinding on this. The F-22 is a beautiful model, and I respect your tastes mate. Sorry if I seem pushy, my sincere apologies.

Best Regards
                      Woody

Comment

So I watched an old movie this weekend, "The Final Count Down". This was my NAVY. I was never on the Nimitz, I did spend a brief period on the Constellation though as a pretty young lieutenant. This movie is a showcase of late seventies US Naval Aviation. If you haven't seen it, you need to watch this movie.

Now if you take the time and watch it, one thing might get your attention. You might notice just how many A-7 Corsair II's there were in the NAVY at this time. The one thing I never heard about an A-7 was this, "The A-7 was commonly referred to as SLUF" ("Short Little Ugly Fucker") by pilots". Now I'm a recently retired US Navy Captian, been around the Navy most of my adult life, been around many, many A-7's and pilots of A-7's, and never heard that old saying. Go figure.

Woody
                        My squadron VA-35 "Black Panthers"(A-6 "Double Ugly / Iron Tadpole) was on the Nimitz when it was commissioned(plank owner;)) and yeah that was my Navy also.
                        Those A-7's and their 20mm Vulcan was pretty impressive but they weren't that big an airframe. Their wingspan was that of a F4F Wildcat(38ft) and the A-6 @ 53ft equal to the A-10.
                        They were another MK82(500lb) bomb carrying mule like the A-6 being able to load 30 of them which is double the weight of what the B-17 could haul.
                        And that SLUF...........never new them by that but they did have the rep as "Maneater" cause of that intake being so big and low.
                        I actually did see a green shirt get sucked into one :Scared:
                        So..........I would like to see one made also but because of 2 very prominent features I don't really see it being a viable "turf capable EDF".
                        As I mentioned earlier, that maneater intake would be a huge FOD (grass/gravel/etc) gobbler and secondly the wheel sizing is almost half of the A-6 and that model has issues with turf.
                        I secretly keep hoping that FW will upgrade the Intruder to a twin 70-80mm @ 1600-1700mm span :Cool:
                        PS.........congrats on the retirement Captain Woody:)
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Yea, they were, in fact, man-eaters. I kinda left that out. But Tomcats were bad too. Almost anything with propellers was extremely dangerous. Of course F-8's. Had to keep your heads about ya if you were up there for sure.

Ya know Charley, I rewatched that movie this weekend. One of the things that impressed me the most was how that F-8 got off the deck. It looked more like they launched a missile than a cat launch. I had completely forgotten about that. You know everything launched pretty much the same, except those F-8's. That's another one. It would outrun, out fly, and out climb the Tomcats. Almost completely ignored by the RC Comunity. To me it's sad.

The thing about that movie is they actually staged and filmed a barrier landing. It had to be real, no CGI back then. That one seen where that F-14 is chasing that Zero and almost hits the water. I've often wondered if that pilot actually meant to get that low. I actually think that was a panicky Oh *hit moment for the pilot. Nice catching it on film though.

By the way thanks Charley.

Best Regards
                          Woody

Yea grass would be tough. Ya know out here in the west, almost all our clubs asphalt runways. It's hard to find a beautiful green place to fly in SoCal. That's why I like the hand tossers so much. My places I fly are usually much prettier to fly than the clubs.W

Comment

I agree completely Aros. Sorry if it seems if I'm grinding on this. The F-22 is a beautiful model, and I respect your tastes mate. Sorry if I seem pushy, my sincere apologies.
                            No apologies needed my friend!

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• I agree on the looks part. That is just one of those things we will all never agree on. F22 is one of my favorite all time jets and Aros may have been the only person more excited than me when it was released. But, that is just my taste and what I prefer. Right now for scale jets, I have an F22, F18, F16, and a Bae Hawk. Pretty easy to see my taste in jets. I personally wouldn't buy a F8, or A7, or even a F100. They just aren't what I like and they don't interest me. There are PLENTY on here and everywhere that feel the exact opposite of me and that is why there will NEVER be the perfect release from any rc company. All they can do is keep putting out great products and the customers will be there!

Comment

• Its great we can all say what we like and buy the ones we enjoy and pass on the ones we don't like, I have the L39, Yak 130, F-16, F-15, T-45, Eurofighter, F-104, A-10, F-4, Mig 21, F-86, ME 262 and the A-4 and why? Because I bought the ones I enjoy looking at, I'm one of those that was not one bit excited about the YF-22, when I look at it, I don't see the ruggedness or beauty of it for some reason, not doubt a great flyer as others have posted, but the A-7, F-8 I would preorder without a second thought, love the rugged look I guess. So MRC, get the next 80mm-90mm jet on the market please, I'm so ready..........:Cool:

The YF-22 is slowly growing on me though, just might have to give one a try if nothing else is coming soon..........:)

Comment

• Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
                                  I agree on the looks part. That is just one of those things we will all never agree on. F22 is one of my favorite all time jets and Aros may have been the only person more excited than me when it was released. But, that is just my taste and what I prefer. Right now for scale jets, I have an F22, F18, F16, and a Bae Hawk. Pretty easy to see my taste in jets. I personally wouldn't buy a F8, or A7, or even a F100. They just aren't what I like and they don't interest me. There are PLENTY on here and everywhere that feel the exact opposite of me and that is why there will NEVER be the perfect release from any rc company. All they can do is keep putting out great products and the customers will be there!
                                  James, are you implying that the HSD Viper Died?? Darn, I thought you and I were HSD Viper brosefs, lol. Look lets just clear this up. I may in fact purchase one of those F-22's some day soon. I like the plane, no it's not a GaGa plane for me. But you can't deny the performance of this thing. I might buy an F-35 first if they make it. I wasn't a big fan of the F-35 until recently when I stood there and watched 3 of them fly in and land on a smaller sized carrier parked right here at North Island. I was totally impressed, awe struck to be honest. I'm a carrier aviator, cool things, are well cool.

The thorn that's stuck in my craw, is why, out of all these model companies out there, we don't have a single A-7? Did you know that one of the largest most successful rescues in US Naval history was the rescue of a downed A-7 pilot in Vietnam? Seems there was a hard nosed carrier captain that threw everything but the kitchen sink at the North Vietnamese and literally kept them beat down and off this down pilot, and went in and got him. Doesn't mean anything I know.

So with all the WW2 planes out there, with many copies. It wouldn't make sense for some one to make some nice a nice A-7? I think it has it's place.

As for the F-8, watch the movie, watch that launch of the F-8, then tell me it's not one of the coolest things you've ever seen. Frankly it's hard to realize a human being can get shot off like that.

So yea we can all have our tastes, and I will always respect it.

Best Regards
                                  Woody

Comment

Its great we can all say what we like and buy the ones we enjoy and pass on the ones we don't like, I have the L39, Yak 130, F-16, F-15, T-45, Eurofighter, F-104, A-10, F-4, Mig 21, F-86, ME 262 and the A-4 and why? Because I bought the ones I enjoy looking at, I'm one of those that was not one bit excited about the YF-22, when I look at it, I don't see the ruggedness or beauty of it for some reason, not doubt a great flyer as others have posted, but the A-7, F-8 I would preorder without a second thought, love the rugged look I guess. So MRC, get the next 80mm-90mm jet on the market please, I'm so ready..........:Cool:

The YF-22 is slowly growing on me though, just might have to give one a try if nothing else is coming soon..........:)
                                    If I get one, I'm going to put a red bull paint job on it. Not Kidding.

Woody

Comment

• There is always a million different tastes out there. While there are classics that are certainly missing (there STILL isn’t a good C-47 with retracts!) I agree that a lot of the overlooked airplanes have a lot of potential. An F-100, F-106, F-105, C-141, A-7, E-2, and quite a few more would be great to see in a reasonable size with retracts.

However, the thing that has always surprised me the most, is the lack of classic helicopters. Now that Motion distributes Roban, there is hopefully a chance to change this as well. Although there are a decent number of fuselages available, the choices for the Superscale Heli line always confused me. What’s missing? Well, there is very few of the “classic” helicopter airframes! No one in the USA offers a single engine UH-1D Slick or UH-1B/C Gunship. No one offers a superscale Bell Jetranger with a full interior. There were over 7,000 airframes produced, and they are still flying almost everywhere! There are also no manufactures offering a Bell 47 outside of the 800 size+ VARIO models. To me, there is still a huge market out there for these models, and they could really drum up interest in helis again. Especially with how far modern flight controllers have come.

I know now that they aren’t easy to learn, fly or build in any way. But the fact is, even for those who will put in the time and effort to learn, right now they will also need to have a big shop, with a lot of tools and machining capability to build a truly scale looking heli in most cases. Until this happens, I’ll still scratch build and mod fuselages to build the helis I’ve always wanted.

Sorry for for the long rant, but seriously, who wouldn’t want a Huey, Jetranger, or Sea King somewhere in their collection? They are just as classic and recognizable as the fixed wing birds of their time.

Comment

James, are you implying that the HSD Viper Died?? Darn, I thought you and I were HSD Viper brosefs, lol. Look lets just clear this up. I may in fact purchase one of those F-22's some day soon. I like the plane, no it's not a GaGa plane for me. But you can't deny the performance of this thing. I might buy an F-35 first if they make it. I wasn't a big fan of the F-35 until recently when I stood there and watched 3 of them fly in and land on a smaller sized carrier parked right here at North Island. I was totally impressed, awe struck to be honest. I'm a carrier aviator, cool things, are well cool.

The thorn that's stuck in my craw, is why, out of all these model companies out there, we don't have a single A-7? Did you know that one of the largest most successful rescues in US Naval history was the rescue of a downed A-7 pilot in Vietnam? Seems there was a hard nosed carrier captain that threw everything but the kitchen sink at the North Vietnamese and literally kept them beat down and off this down pilot, and went in and got him. Doesn't mean anything I know.

So with all the WW2 planes out there, with many copies. It wouldn't make sense for some one to make some nice a nice A-7? I think it has it's place.

As for the F-8, watch the movie, watch that launch of the F-8, then tell me it's not one of the coolest things you've ever seen. Frankly it's hard to realize a human being can get shot off like that.

So yea we can all have our tastes, and I will always respect it.

Best Regards
                                        Woody
                                        From a functional POV, the F-8 was the Navy version of the F-104, I.E. a jet engine with wings, weapons and a person strapped to it. Only it was a lot more stable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

From a functional POV, the F-8 was the Navy version of the F-104, I.E. a jet engine with wings, weapons and a person strapped to it. Only it was a lot more stable.
                                          By stats the Crusader wasn't even in the same class as the Starfighter. ;)
                                          It had a J57 AB Turbojet with top speed of 1225 whereas the 104 had a J79 AB Turbojet with top speed of 1528.
                                          The F-8 more closely replicated the F-101 Voodoo which also had a J57 with top end of 1134.
                                          The 105(1372mph) and 106(1525mph) both having J75's exceeded it also.
                                          They all were just jet engines strapped to wings no wider than a P-51 doing around mach 2.:Scared::Cool:
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X