X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
    I think some have lost perspective as to what the FAA is doing, people are blaming the FAA and that the FAA is the monster here. The FAA is the escape goat here for the uppers in government and big business, they did not want or want to go down this path with the hobby industry, Congress and the lobbyist are the ones that started this and the FAA had it dropped in there laps, now they have to come up with something and are using industry and big brother, big business and those who took the time to respond to the proposals to come up with something we all can get along with. The first proposal put out had 18,000 responses and thought that it's not that important to us so proceed and said that we have on average of 1.2 planes, this one had 50,000 which is still says that most of the estimated 150,000 hobbyist didn't care to have a voice. I have 78 planes to date and 12 of them I can fly anywhere (UMX). I have two drones and fly nether one, not much flying skill needed to fly. Is this a money grab, maybe.

So going after the FAA and blaming them is miss guided and we need to focus on congress and blame them. I'm not associated with the FAA other than being an A&P card holder certified welder working in nether industry but a fixed wing hobbyist.
    And until YOU have proof of what your saying, YES, the FAA is to blame, PERIOD! The government (feds) could care less about our fixed wing R/C hobby, If it's anything like what you're saying, it's the FAA feeding the government Intel about drones and our hobby in general. The Feds have no clue about the intricate details of violations and potential problems with our hobby that the FAA has falsely created and taken back to them. Yes, I am quite sure the Feds are concerned about safety from a terrorists using a drone standpoint but there has not been one piece of factual evidence that I have seen mentioned anywhere that the Feds (at the top) are driving all this BS on our hobby. However, we do have factual evidence, videos, and letters clearly showing the FAA is behind everything we know about the Remote ID so far. Speculation, opinion, and assumptions are NOT evidence. Again, right now, the evidence of intent lies with the FAA. Now, could the Feds & lobbyists be driving this? yes, it is highly possible but again, we have no proof of that, only speculation. I am quite sure the Feds have initiated inquiries as to the activities involved in the unmanned flight community but again, we do not know that for fact and if it is true, to what degree. So, not putting blame on the one source that we all know for sure is pushing this Remote ID on us is misguided. Until, the FAA comes forth and says their instructions for the Remote ID is 100% solely Federal based, in all fairness (as much as I have no use for the Feds) we cannot assume or speculate with 100% certainty that they are the villain at this point.

I'm not associated with the Fed's, FAA other than being an AMA & EAA member, blue collar, taxing paying, law abiding citizen.

EAA# 1366802
    AMA# 631508

https://vf59.weebly.com/

Comment

• The FAA is just doing what Congress MANDATED. I've worked the FAA on waivers for High Powered Rocketry and found them to be more than accommodating and professional..

Mike
      \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeT View Post
        The FAA is just doing what Congress MANDATED. I've worked the FAA on waivers for High Powered Rocketry and found them to be more than accommodating and professional..

Mike
        NO ONE has proof this is solely driven by Congress as much as I would LOVE TO blame them for it. I would bet that Congress is enabling the FAA to ask questions and seeking answers on their behalf but ultimately from what my eyes have seen, my ears had heard, the FAA is the primary driving force that is creating, organizing and pushing this BS on us! Although this is a "hobby", we are not model rocketry. unmanned r/c controlled aircraft and drones are much different. I've never heard of a model rocket interfering with manned flight unlike the few occasions this has happened with drones.

EAA# 1366802
        AMA# 631508

Comment

• Originally posted by CVA59 View Post

NO ONE has proof this is solely driven by Congress as much as I would LOVE TO blame them for it. I would bet that Congress is enabling the FAA to ask questions and seeking answers on their behalf but ultimately from what my eyes have seen, my ears had heard, the FAA is the primary driving force that is creating, organizing and pushing this BS on us! Although this is a "hobby", we are not model rocketry. unmanned r/c controlled aircraft and drones are much different. I've never heard of a model rocket interfering with manned flight unlike the few occasions this has happened with drones.
          Sure we do Congress mandated the FAA deal with the drone explosion. Just what did you think the FAA was going to do , just blow it off? I'll be happy to listen to any proof you may have.

"U.S. Congress tasked the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in 2016 with issuing regulations or guidance by July 2018 that could permit the public, the FAA, law enforcement, and others to remotely track and identify drones and their operators during flight."

Just a FYI Model rocketry ( beyond low power stuff ) is covered and regulated under FAA Regulations Part 1. Like I explained I've dealt with the FAA and have no complaints. I get it your pissed but you'll just have to get over it. The ship has set sail leaving modelers behind.

Mike

Comment

Sure we do Congress mandated the FAA deal with the drone explosion. Just what did you think the FAA was going to do , just blow it off? I'll be happy to listen to any proof you may have.

"U.S. Congress tasked the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in 2016 with issuing regulations or guidance by July 2018 that could permit the public, the FAA, law enforcement, and others to remotely track and identify drones and their operators during flight."

Just a FYI Model rocketry ( beyond low power stuff ) is covered and regulated under FAA Regulations Part 1. Like I explained I've dealt with the FAA and have no complaints. I get it your pissed but you'll just have to get over it. The ship has set sail leaving modelers behind.

Mike
            Again, the FAA is driving this with the force it is being driven. I SAID, I agree the Congress MAY have initiated this but it is the FAA driving it to the point it is at right now. We have no proof that Fed's have approved the NPRM as proposed!!!!!! You're little one line "quote" about Congress does not explain their extent and or the final outcome from this. It is one thing to task the FAA with issuing regulations or guidance, it is a much different thing for concluding the basis for how these rules will be written / enacted and that has been left to the FAA which they have and still are. What the h_ll do you think the FAA's job is???? If the Governor of your State tells all the State Troopers to find out why people are speeding, so the Troopers go out and just start taking away people licenses to drive, that instead is 100% on them, not the Governor's office. Same concept going on here. If you think the Fed's are intelligent enough to have any knowledge about our hobby, you are severely misguided. That is why they tasked the FAA to take this issue and handle it and it appears they are doing it as they see fit. The FAA know's as long as the rules are in favor of us losing our rights, the Fed's will be ok with whatever is presented to them BY THE FAA!

BTW..... I don't and will not get over anything!!!! I have been fighting this overreach of insanity, those who support and make excuses for it from the beginning and will not stop!

EAA# 1366802
            AMA# 631508

Comment

Again, the FAA is driving this with the force it is being driven. I SAID, I agree the Congress MAY have initiated this but it is the FAA driving it to the point it is at right now. We have no proof that Fed's have approved the NPRM as proposed!!!!!! You're little one line "quote" about Congress does not explain their extent and or the final outcome from this. It is one thing to task the FAA with issuing regulations or guidance, it is a much different thing for concluding the basis for how these rules will be written / enacted and that has been left to the FAA which they have and still are. What the h_ll do you think the FAA's job is???? If the Governor of your State tells all the State Troopers to find out why people are speeding, so the Troopers go out and just start taking away people licenses to drive, that instead is 100% on them, not the Governor's office. Same concept going on here. If you think the Fed's are intelligent enough to have any knowledge about our hobby, you are severely misguided. That is why they tasked the FAA to take this issue and handle it and it appears they are doing it as they see fit. The FAA know's as long as the rules are in favor of us losing our rights, the Fed's will be ok with whatever is presented to them BY THE FAA!

BTW..... I don't and will not get over anything!!!! I have been fighting this overreach of insanity, those who support and make excuses for it from the beginning and will not stop!
              You have no proof of any of this. Nothing but trash talk. LOL I'm happy your "fighting this overreach of insanity, those who support and make excuses for it from the beginning and will not stop!".
              Posting in a model airplane forum ( with no facts at all to back up your claim ) will make all the difference.
              Have Fun.

Mike.

Comment

You have no proof of any of this. Nothing but trash talk. LOL I'm happy your "fighting this overreach of insanity, those who support and make excuses for it from the beginning and will not stop!".
                Posting in a model airplane forum ( with no facts at all to back up your claim ) will make all the difference.
                Have Fun.

Mike.
                Hahaha, yeah, no facts, just like you!!! All of this is speculation other than the facts and evidence everyone has seen online from the FAA (except you apparently). "Most" everyone has seen and read the FAA's comments, intentions and plans.

EAA# 1366802
                AMA# 631508

Comment

• I thought it was a little cheeky to drop in the midst of a pandemic but the EU released their draft proposals for member states and the european comission to maybe think about possibly adopting yesterday (man the EU takes beaurocracy to dizzying new heights!).

They're effectively creating new airspace (U-space) and requiring users of it to register with tracking/location service providers. Flight plans and authorisations are required. Importantly, manned aircraft arent allowed in without clearance.

It's pretty comprehensive and similar to the FAA NPRM in many aspects, EXCEPT, there is a blanket exemption from the regulation for anyone flying at a model club field, or a 'toy grade' drone/plane (i assume sub 250g). So the regulation is really targeted at commercial and BVLOS operations. I dont know if people fly in parks or on private property in the EU, but they wont be any more if this ever gets implemented lol. Anyway, knowing the EU, it'll be 20 years before it ever gets legislated.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom-...pag1nMpUaSF2yY

Comment

Hahaha, yeah, no facts, just like you!!! All of this is speculation other than the facts and evidence everyone has seen online from the FAA (except you apparently). "Most" everyone has seen and read the FAA's comments, intentions and plans.
                    You win the FAA is out to get us. Sleep well.

Mike

Comment

You win the FAA is out to get us. Sleep well.

Mike
                      Hahahaha, whatever. I sleep well every night my friend!

EAA# 1366802
                      AMA# 631508

Comment

• Glad I found this post. In last couple of days received email from FAA regarding identifier(s).

Yesterday, me and my sons and grandchildren went four wheeler riding out in the country. Some 10 - 12 miles from civilization. I live in farming country. We went through the floodways with fields that have been harvested bout the size of 200 acres to 400 acres in size. We talked about this being an ideal place to fly our planes. Turn rows are smooth enough for landing/takeoffs. Then I read this email tonight.

No telling what the cost of the identifier will be. I now have total of three RC planes, includes two gliders which I favor.
                        I mainly fly below tree top level. Not many real planes fly that low unless they are ag planes or planes landing/taking off. When I see strobe light come on I local airport I load up and put my equipment in back of truck and sit on tailgate. Don't fly when ag planes are flying cause they come and go at about 10 minute intervals.

AT 73, I find this to be quite offensive what is being done to our hobby. Most has been caused by dumb bunnies flying on end of runways being used by commercial planes. Guess those folks didn't have a mom or dad to help set them on straight and narrow. Furthermore, they don't have any common sense either. I'm probably 35 to 40 miles AS THE crow flies from closest commercial airport to the south, and 30 miles to the North northwest from the other that hosts pleasure and business planes. Never have seen them fly at tree top level or below. AND I'VE NEVER FLEW CLOSE TO EITHER ONE OF THOSE AIRPORTS, NOR DO I PLAN TO.

I have mixed feeling about FAA AND AMA. I'M A MEMBER OF AMA ALSO. .

IT'S JUST REVOLTING AND A HEARTBURN THROB TO ME TO THINK WE HAVE FALLEN UNDER SOME OF THE MOST IGNORANT RULES. WHY NOT GO AFTER THE OFFENDERS AND LET THEM SIT IN JAIL AND PAY A HUGE FINE INSTEAD OF RAILROADING US WHO UNDERSTAND THE DANGER WHEN AN RC AND REAL WORLD AIRPLANE MAY COLLIDE.

IT DON'T MAKE MUCH SENSE BUT I FEEL BETTER.

Jimmy
                        Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

Comment

• Jimmy, I'm in agreement with you. They should go after those dummies but the reality of it is that it's very hard to catch them in the act and even when they do, the punishment and fines are mediocre, certainly far less severe than the amount of attention they give to the rest of us. It's much easier to target the vast numbers of those who are not doing anything wrong because we are handy. Many of us belong to registered clubs that are easy to locate and dictate to. Rule over a thousand so the one will hear about it and is less likely to do the dumb bunny thing.

Comment

• Don't know about you guys, but I think the police have far better things to do with their time!

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                              Don't know about you guys, but I think the police have far better things to do with their time!

Grossman56
                              I think you're right. The police would rather not have to enforce DOT regulations. I have a good friend who's a cop and he works in the chief's office. That's the last thing any cop wants to do. The paperwork, bureaucracy, court time to take something like this through the system doesn't justify the end result. However, the one and only case here where a drone flyer was apprehended was by a cop who was just driving by one day. He was bored and decided he'd be the first to nab some guy breaking these rules. The drone guy was flying under the approach path to the international airport. Like you said, if the cop had better things to do, this never would have happened. Even the rank and file of the DoT don't want to get involved in any of it.

Comment

• The Canadian Federal Minister of Transport granted exemption in 2018 for "aircraft modelers" to carry on in the same fashion they have for 70 years; creating rules and safety requirements for flying RC planes and creating flying clubs and "self governance" so as to remove the public from harm's way and to enjoy the hobby as was intended. Isn't that enough!? The FAA and the US Feds need realizing that not everyone is guilty of "irresponsible drone operation" that has caused this menusha in the first place...They understand the concept of "other people"...

Comment

• Originally posted by AirHead View Post
                                  The Canadian Federal Minister of Transport granted exemption in 2018 for "aircraft modelers" to carry on in the same fashion they have for 70 years; creating rules and safety requirements for flying RC planes and creating flying clubs and "self governance" so as to remove the public from harm's way and to enjoy the hobby as was intended. Isn't that enough!? The FAA and the US Feds need realizing that not everyone is guilty of "irresponsible drone operation" that has caused this menusha in the first place...They understand the concept of "other people"...
                                  And that was how it was here. But in America, bureaucrats aren't happy unless they can control EVERYTHING in their purview. So what the FAA did was put a provision in a prime funding bill that did away with it. Since there were things that were needed in the bill, and there are so many few of us in relation to the people that the REST of the bill would help, the RC Aviation community got thrown under the bus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

And that was how it was here. But in America, bureaucrats aren't happy unless they can control EVERYTHING in their purview. So what the FAA did was put a provision in a prime funding bill that did away with it. Since there were things that were needed in the bill, and there are so many few of us in relation to the people that the REST of the bill would help, the RC Aviation community got thrown under the bus.
                                    And to add to what you said, they see the money in the per plane registry at $5., right now I'm at 81 x 5 = 405 x every 5 years x the 250,000 of us.
                                    AMA 424553

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                      Don't know about you guys, but I think the police have far better things to do with their time!

Grossman56
                                      Ya think?
                                      Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by RRHandy View Post

And to add to what you said, they see the money in the per plane registry at $5., right now I'm at 81 x 5 = 405 x every 5 years x the 250,000 of us.
                                        Unless it's being flown under part 107 it's still only 5 bucks for recreational;l pilots. Recreational flyers your registering yourself not each air-frame.

Mike

Comment

• Under the current reg. But the last proposal there is the provision for just what I stated, that is one of the reasons I wrote a very long letter in response when it was opened for the 50,000 letters we wrote against it.

Ron
                                          AMA 424553

Comment

Working...
                                          X