X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
    Under the current reg. But the last proposal there is the provision for just what I stated, that is one of the reasons I wrote a very long letter in response when it was opened for the 50,000 letters we wrote against it.

Ron
    I'm more concerned about right now than what might be. We're talking years before we know anything on what the final rule may be.

Mike
    \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• Ok, the point was that there is money to be had and that is going to be the end result, Where there is money involved it will happen.

Ron
      AMA 424553

Comment

• Originally posted by RRHandy View Post
        Ok, the point was that there is money to be had and that is going to be the end result, Where there is money involved it will happen.

Ron
        If the whole plan was a "money grab" than why did they not put that into effect on day one? The money ( if there's actually any too be made) will be had from the commercial end not the recreational user. Private aviation N numbers are still only 5 bucks ( if you want a "special number" 10 bucks) seems like they go after them also for the money.
        Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
          Don't know about you guys, but I think the police have far better things to do with their time!

Grossman56
          That is of course those departments that haven't been "defunded".

Comment

• If there is any finger-pointing to be done, it should be at companies like Amazon looking to use commercial drones. They were hell-bent on no exceptions for recreational planes/drones - in their view, everyone should be subject to the same rules and requirements. And they got it. And they were quite celebratory about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
              If there is any finger-pointing to be done, it should be at companies like Amazon looking to use commercial drones. They were hell-bent on no exceptions for recreational planes/drones - in their view, everyone should be subject to the same rules and requirements. And they got it. And they were quite celebratory about it.
              Who's pointing fingers? It it what it is. I think we're years away from this becoming a issue. I wish the AMA would have put more effort into protecting Sec.336 over courting the "droners". I'm more concerned about the remote ID over commercial drone delivery.

Mike

Comment

• That sure sounds like fingerpointing to
                me.

Comment

Don't know about you guys, but I think the police have far better things to do with their time!

Grossman56
                  Agree 100 percent with you. But, the fact remains that we are the one being punished for doing it correctly and to the law. Those making the laws should have to come out of their airconditioned office and troll the airports in the heat, rain, snow, and mosquitoes. They're making the rules so let them enforce.
                  Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

Comment

• Dear FAA, AMA, FCC, BATF, etc: I hereby give notice that the airspace over my private property (40 acres) from ground level to 400' AGL is My Airspace and Not National Airspace.
                    So Bleep Bleep Bleepers !!

Comment

• I’m thinking of setting up some barrage balloons on my property in case Jeff Bezos tries to violate my airspace..

Comment

• LOL. Bottom line here is this could have been much worse.

Mike

Comment

• MikeT Agreed! It could have been much worse. All of the comments sent in during the "comment period" along with AMA's efforts, made a difference for sure.

Comment

Grossman56
                            True. I worked on Remote ID for a while, including a UAS IPP project. One police department was very active in this, using drones for checking out a situation before officers arrived. I asked them if they would want to participate in testing broadcast ID range, since I thought they would be key stakeholders. They said - not really. The reason was, a "report of nuisance drone" was not going to make it on their priority list for spending resources even on the slowest of days. Nobody hurt, nobody in danger...not a priority.

Comment

• Have you all forgotten that, WE THE PEOPLE can protest and maybe petition this INSANITY. I for one do not agree on any of this CRAP yes, that is what I said Gov BS that has gone overboard with to many rules and regulations. We fly in class G airspace, and have been flying safely for over 40 years and I am an AMA INTRO Pilot and have had the Intro Pilot Classification from the beginning. I can see the end of a great Hobby disappearing fast. As for right now until it is final I will fly where and when I want SAFELY of coarse

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                MikeT Agreed! It could have been much worse. All of the comments sent in during the "comment period" along with AMA's efforts, made a difference for sure.
                                This is what they want people to believe. The initial rules were clearly an ambit claim given the technology to achieve what they were proposing essentially doesn't exist. So they walk out the rules they actually want now and call it a compromise.

Governments bought and paid for by corporate interests. Business as usual really (not a swipe at my American brethren by the way. Our govt is paid for by mining interests, at least commercial drone operations are innovative lol).

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild Man View Post
                                  Have you all forgotten that, WE THE PEOPLE can protest and maybe petition this INSANITY. I for one do not agree on any of this CRAP yes, that is what I said Gov BS that has gone overboard with to many rules and regulations. We fly in class G airspace, and have been flying safely for over 40 years and I am an AMA INTRO Pilot and have had the Intro Pilot Classification from the beginning. I can see the end of a great Hobby disappearing fast. As for right now until it is final I will fly where and when I want SAFELY of coarse
                                  Unfortunately we the people don't stand up to them anymore, we vote, we lose our rights whether through the perception of keeping us safe or by case law that circumvents the construction case by case thru the feeling of the people and slick lawyers. I would certainly join the fight but how, thug mentality is all that works today. I gave up in the Clinton era when he signed the FHA that lead to the 08 crash.
                                  I am an AMA INTRO Pilot instructor also and earned that in four years after getting back into flying.

Money is power, power is money.

I'm in trouble now for being political.
                                  AMA 424553

Comment

• I always love the "we the people" posts. Bottom line here kids we dodged the bullet. We had our chance to "protest and maybe petition this INSANITY" during the writing of this. If " the people" were not outraged enough to fight the results of our last stolen election what makes you think their up for a fight for our cause?
                                    As a FYI the AMA failed us and were also part of the problem. when they failed to protect what we had over courting the "droners" for profit.

Mike

Comment

• OV10
                                      OV10 commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      This post has been unapproved due to political comments which are in direct violation of the Hobby Squawl Code of Conduct

• I don't like incursions on our hobby, but I also wonder what is the alternative. FAA posts publicly records of incidents where manned aviation "encounters" a drone (usually just a sighting). During the peak, these were up to about 300 per month. Now with covid, looks like it is down to about 130 per month.

Reports of unmanned aircraft (UAS) sightings from pilots, citizens and law enforcement have increased dramatically over the past two years. The FAA now receives more than 100 such reports each month. The agency wants to send out a clear message that operating drones around airplanes, helicopters and airports is dangerous and illegal. Unauthorized operators may be subject to stiff fines and criminal charges, including possible jail time.

Given this, what do you expect the FAA to do? Wait for 300 people to die when a drone hits the engine of an airliner on takeoff? If they did that, I'm sure the result would be even worse for our hobby (not to mention for the 300 people). I worked for a few years in the field of air traffic management, including working on Remote ID and UTM, and I don't think it's perfect. I could complain all day long about stupidities and inefficiencies in the global system of putting regulations in place (believe it or not, EU is even more frustrating than USA). But I also don't think "we should be able to do whatever we want" is realistic. Low altitude airspace is commercially valuable and getting more crowded. It's a problem I wish didn't exist, but it does. Wild west days are over.

By the way, everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I found the AMA guys to be very sharp and competent on this topic (Chad Budreau, Rich Hanson, Tyler Dobbs, etc.). It is inevitable that huge commercial interests with deep pockets are heavyweights compared to a couple hundred thousand hobbyists. But AMA guys have been, IMHO, very knowledgeable and doing the right things to have what influence they can realistically have. I do think they deserve some credit for the fact that phasing out of FRIA's (which was in the NPRM) is not in the rule. That would have been a disaster for our hobby.

Comment

• Gringotuerto Well said.

Guys, What many of you also don't realize, is that much of the push for remote ID was driven by terrorism concerns by the TSA. Terror organizations around the world have been pursuing and using weaponized drones.
                                      Federal Law Enforcement Agencies want the ability to know who is flying that drone near a power station or football stadium. Granted, a "bad actor" is not going to register their drone or have remote ID. That, in itself, will be a useful tool for them.
                                      Yes, commercial interests also were pushing the effort.

This will NOT kill the hobby. Those flying at a club feild will feel no impact. Those of us that fly elsewhere will put a small inexpensive transponer in our planes. It can be moved from plane to plane. This will take a while before this happens. Those that buy HH RTF or BNF planes will have it built in eventuall. Nothing different than a telemetry system many of them have now.

I don't like the incursion into our hobby either. The fact is that our airspace is going to get busier. There has to be some way to manage it. The people that I know with the FAA, don't want this anymore than we do.

​​​​​​​Edit: I mentioned TSA, but meant to say DHS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                        Gringotuerto Well said.

​​​​​​​Guys, What many of you also don't realize, is that much of the push for remote ID was driven by terrorism concerns by the TSA. Terror organizations around the world have been pursuing and using weaponized drones.
                                        Federal Law Enforcement Agencies want the ability to know who is flying that drone near a power station or football stadium. Granted, a "bad actor" is not going to register their drone or have remote ID. That, in itself, will be a useful tool for them.
                                        Yes, commercial interests also were pushing the effort.

This will NOT kill the hobby. Those flying at a club feild will feel no impact. Those of us that fly elsewhere will put a small inexpensive transponer in our planes. It can be moved from plane to plane. This will take a while before this happens. Those that buy HH RTF or BNF planes will have it built in eventuall. Nothing different than a telemetry system many of them have now.

I don't like the incursion into our hobby either. The fact is that our airspace is going to get busier. There has to be some way to manage it. The people that I know with the FAA, don't want this anymore than we do.
                                        Unfortunately terrorists don't play by the rules or follow them.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                        X