X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Warthog View Post

Will this Frog tape come off without lifting the paint from a foamy?
    It is their lowest tac tape. I use it all the time and rarely have lifting issues. I stick it first to my t-shirt before applying it.

Comment

• Thanks Jet Dude. I'll pick some up! Where do I find info. of "how to" the airbrush type of weathering?

Comment

• Originally posted by Warthog View Post
        Thanks Jet Dude. I'll pick some up! Where do I find info. of "how to" the airbrush type of weathering?
        Warthog Check out these two videos we published a few days ago. They're a good starter to the wider world of videos on this topic:

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

It is their lowest tac tape. I use it all the time and rarely have lifting issues. I stick it first to my t-shirt before applying it.
          I first saw the t-shirt trick over on one of the Flite Test build videos. One of those, "Why didn't I think of that?" kind of tricks.

Comment

• It's been a while since I could show off anything with Callie's awesome graphics. My version of the Freewing F-14, converted to an A model and repainted in the 1970's VF-1 Wolfpack hi-vis scheme. Callie's decals came out great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5214.JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.3 KB ID:	271837
            Pat

Comment

• crxmanpat looks outstanding. Nice work!
              Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
              Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• I just finished a repaint of the FMS 1500mm P-47D that was originally silver from a Pacific Theater replica. I used Callie's decals and they went on beautifully! I also got the nomenclature sheet and applied several that were consistent with this particular airplane, a replica of one flown in WWII in England. I'll attach a couple of the plane and pilot back in 1944
                Attached Files

Comment

• Nice job! Looks fantastic!
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Amazing work on the refinish!!!!! That thing looks incredible now!!!

Comment

• davegee , Unique livery and superb work on your repaint. Subtle weathering, scale bits, plus ordinance, just outstanding. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• We need a FlightLine 1600mm Razorback, hint, hint...
                        My YouTube RC videos:
                        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
                          Amazing work on the refinish!!!!! That thing looks incredible now!!!
                          Thanks. My favorite fighter group from the USAAF in WWII is the famous 56th, led by Col. Hub Zemke. This plane was flown by a Lt. Albert Knafelz of upstate New York. He flew it until he finished his tour in August 1944. Unfortunately, the aircraft, flown by another pilot, suffered severe battle damage to the wing and gear, and crashlanded back at base on the first day of Operation Market Garden in Holland that September. The pilot survived, but the plane was written off and scrapped.
                          These markings are how it would have looked on D-Day and somewhat later into the summer, when upper invasion stripe markings were removed, leaving markings on the bottoms of the wings and fuselage. In this case, they decided to paint over the top stripes with olive drab paint. I preferred this look over that one, at least for now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                            davegee , Unique livery and superb work on your repaint. Subtle weathering, scale bits, plus ordinance, just outstanding. Best, LB
                            Thanks very much. I know these aircraft did get beat up some on their missions, but I have always been in favor of doing as realistic a weathering scheme on the aircraft as I can. One of the most extreme cases I came across was at a Scale Masters meet many years ago. The pilot had a beautiful P-51D, flew well, and all that. But he weathered it so much that it looked more like it had reentered the Earth's atmosphere than a realistic weathering job on it. Still, he flew it well and collected some awards for his effort, which is cool.

Comment

Flies great, and looks great in the air. FMS made a good P-47 Razorback. I really think this extra work was worth it, and I have learned things along the way that will help in the next project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                                Nice job! Looks fantastic!
                                Thanks, Aros!

Comment

Thanks, 406 pilot. I have some business up in Billings next month and am going to try and bring this or another plane of mine to do a little flying up there.

Comment

• I recently finished a repaint of a Seagull Bf-109E, 64" ARF. The stock paint scheme was pathetically ugly. And the spinner was completely wrong. I had my friend design and 3D-print me a scale Emil spinner, for a 3-blade prop (MAS 16x10x3). Here's the horrible stock paint scheme. I hope that this photo won't make your eyes bleed.

I decided to re-model this aircraft into the livery o Werner Moelders' JG-53 Chevron and Triangle Bf-109E-3. This was his Battle of France unit and aircraft. Shortly, after the photo below was taken, Moelders was shot down over France and was a POW of the French for several weeks. Moelders was released when the French surrendered. Here're a couple primary source photos that I used for the re-paint, and a CGI that seemed to be pretty close.

Here's how it turned out. Thanks to Callie for the vinyl markings.

and converted to black and white, for comparison to the primary source photo.

I'm pretty happy with the end results. There are still a few scale misses (gear location, canopy/cockpit size, tail markings (swastika is a bit too small and the rudder shape is wrong)), but I felt that I got pretty close, especially considering from where I started. :-)

For the hard-core modelers who are interested in the colors used...
                                    This 109 is RLM 02 (fuselage basecoat), RLM 70 (spine and wing camo), RLM 71 (wing camo and mottling), RLM 65 (belly). This plane is 1940; so, no one should be arguing that the belly should be RLM 76. LOL
                                    ---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

• Oxotnik That looks Great! I did notice that the graphics are a bit glossy. Graphics can be ordered in matte or flat from Callie as well, if you didn't already know.

What did you power it with?

Comment

• Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post
                                        Oxotnik That looks Great! I did notice that the graphics are a bit glossy. Graphics can be ordered in matte or flat from Callie as well, if you didn't already know.

What did you power it with?
                                        I didn't know that I could've ordered the graphics in matte. Dang! I did try to dirty the graphics up a bit with the air brush, but it didn't do much. Maybe, I'll hit the graphics with a pass or two of dullcoat.
                                        ---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

• Tony, I forgot to answer the second part of your question. The power train is an EFlite Power 90-325kv, MAS 16x10x3, 8S-5AH battery. I put it on a wattmeter yesterday, and this power train pulls 2270W and 78A (static, of course), which gives the Emil a static power-to-weight around 150 W/lbs. She should have plenty of power. :-)
                                          ---
                                          Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                          X