X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gringotuerto View Post

Ralph those are both excellent. I had to look up Top Gun on the internet to remember what the plane looked like, but you captured it perfectly. I was curious about that radar pod - apparently it is the AN/APS-6, which weighs about 250 pounds. I wonder how that was balanced!

Anyway, according to Wikipedia it transmits 1us pulses at 3cm wavelength. Power was 40-70kW, and beam width 6 degrees. But Wikipedia also says 3.3GHz, and so one of those two (frequency or wavelength) must be wrong, unless the speed of light was different back in WW2, lol. I'm pretty sure the 3.3GHz is wrong, and should be around 10GHz instead. The key advancement of AN/APS-4 and -6 was decreasing wavelength and size versus previous 10cm radars. Also I couldn't find it, but I would guess that 40-70kW is effective power in the peak direction, not total power. 40kW seems way too much for total power. I had an electric car a while ago, and it took 40kW peak when accelerating from a dead stop, more like 10kW on the highway. So no way was a WW2 radar transmitting that much total power. Below is a picture of the AN/APS-4 (similar to -6)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1024px-APS-4.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	303963
    Thanks man - kind words!

Very interesting details - thanks for the photo!
    I remember reading in a book about the F6F-3N and 5N that flying these was not really a pleasure. Beside lacking of speed it was kind uf un-stable in flight. Bit like my FMS re-do... unfortunately it did not survive the third flight... 😫

Ralph

Comment

• Oxotnik - I like your Invader, looks really awesome! 😃

Ralph

Comment

• Twowingtj , Thanks. I characterize my repaints as Fix the Big Stuff, and Good Enough is Good Enough. LOL

Ralph Stepper. Thanks! I had to rebuild one of her gear wells, due to me mishandling a crosswind landing this past Autumn. I'm planning to get her back in the air tomorrow. Her paint job is stock, other than the livery mimics an A-26 in a museum in McMinnville, Oregon.
        ---
        Warbirder

Comment

• Just a little help from Callie can make things unique. These are Carbon Z T-28s.

Name:	660DE19E-BD3D-49A8-8F06-ED530538D1EF.jpeg
Views:	525
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	304565

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	9F85A8D9-A582-43DC-994D-64BBF7FF7236.jpeg
Views:	389
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	308960

Comment

Name:	C2DEC9E4-86C4-4328-BCE0-CBE61A4E5D0D.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	308962

Comment

Name:	DSC_6172.JPG
Views:	424
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	309134Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6172.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	309136
                Attached Files

Comment

• BP, She is a beauty. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

BP, She is a beauty. Bravo Zulu, Sir. Best, LB
                    Thanks!

Comment

• Purchased this FMS P-51 at the Dayton Modelrama at a bargain price back in April. It was a little beat up, so decided on a repaint. Parked next to a flying buddy’s stocker. Thanks Callie!

Name:	FE421A20-7C16-4F28-80F1-6FBAF24FE555.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	316073

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                        It was a little beat up, so decided on a repaint. Thanks Callie!
                        E6, Great work, Sir. I'm diggin' the "Race" paint. Best, LB
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• When I personalized my CZ Cub, Callie hooked me up with a cockpit graphic that looks so much better! The simple things in life are such a joy.. thanks Callie!
                          Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• That is a SLICK custom livery, I like that a lot. Well done BluesDragon.
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros View Post
                              That is a SLICK custom livery, I like that a lot. Well done BluesDragon.
                              Why thank you, sir! Nothing too fancy.. just mine.
                              Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

• It's perfectly understated with that nice creative flare on the side like you might expect on a full scale. I dig that.
                                My YouTube RC videos:
                                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Name:	631D441F-7BBE-4A5F-9310-1F4305A03451.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	317582Click image for larger version

Name:	E7EF3B20-18BE-4025-AEC0-DDC0710F797F.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	317581Click image for larger version

Name:	E3599364-F21E-40BA-8755-B446198BE3BE.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	317580

Comment

• F22trainer Very Nicely Done. Great silver, too. Looks like the "silk and dope" silver coatings pre 80's. Beautiful work, Sir. Best, LB
                                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post
                                      F22trainer Very Nicely Done. Great silver, too. Looks like the "silk and dope" silver coatings pre 80's. Beautiful work, Sir. Best, LB
                                      You are correct - it is supposed to be an indoor slow flyer, and it does that very well. Thanks,
                                      May the Fourth be with you, LB!

Comment

• Originally posted by EA-6B Geek View Post
                                        Purchased this FMS P-51 at the Dayton Modelrama at a bargain price back in April. It was a little beat up, so decided on a repaint. Parked next to a flying buddy’s stocker. Thanks Callie!

Name:	FE421A20-7C16-4F28-80F1-6FBAF24FE555.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	316073
                                        Oh, my dream paint job, don't know how many times I saw Bob Hoover fly Miss America but I only have to see a picture like this to remember him taking off to do a 'weather check'.
                                        He ran that Mustang down almost the full length of the runway at full throttle, still on the mains. Then, he pulls back on the stick and this thing goes vertical to almost out of sight, talk about a jet, just seeing someone do that in a piston driven aircraft is something you never forget! Of course, it was rumored that most Mustangs were too afraid of Bob to not do what he commanded, I still believe there's some truth to that!

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Not to be a downer, but I don't believe Bob Hoover ever flew Miss A. That would be prior owner Howie Keefe and current owner Brent Hisey. Yes a couple other folks flew her over the years but rarely. Bob Hoover's mount was the famous Ol' Yeller. Click image for larger version

Name:	5883551.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	318120
                                          Fly low, fly fast, turn left

Comment

Working...
                                          X