X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post

Charlie, I forgot if you have my WeChat, or my Skype. Either way, give me a holler when you can.

Hellcat, hellcat, are you the one who prompted Andre to ask me that question on the RC Afterhours podcast I was on yesterday?
    I don't have either one of those social media platforms, but PM me here or ring the number you have.
    When I heard Andre ask about a F6F, my first thought was "OH HELL YEAH" but I wish I could say I prompted the question.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Now that the EDF Flyers are happy how about something with propellers for us older Flyers. Maybe a Convair 240 or a Douglas DC4.
      I'm sure Callie could make us decals for any Airline we want. I would jump on either of them as quickly as I did the Spitfire and the Corsair.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post
        Now that the EDF Flyers are happy how about something with propellers for us older Flyers. Maybe a Convair 240 or a Douglas DC4.
        I'm sure Callie could make us decals for any Airline we want. I would jump on either of them as quickly as I did the Spitfire and the Corsair.
        I'd love a Republic Airlines Convair 580. W

Comment

• We need an A-12 Avenger II for a twin 80s.

Simple mold, simple gear, just complicated controls

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Dee View Post
            We need an A-12 Avenger II for a twin 80s.

Simple mold, simple gear, just complicated controls
            Just too obscure and would not sell enough volume to make it worth while. Most people born since 1992 have no idea what it is.

I actually worked on the real one and have flown a smallish model of it at 1/20 scale. A large glow EDF model (1/10 scale) built here in Fort Worth in the late 1990s by some local folks was not a good flyer.

Many more deserving and popular aircraft need to be done before the Flying Dorito.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cws View Post
              Now that the EDF Flyers are happy how about something with propellers for us older Flyers. Maybe a Convair 240 or a Douglas DC4.
              A Connie would be even better!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tab28682 View Post

I actually worked on the real one and have flown a smallish model of it at 1/20 scale. A large glow EDF model (1/10 scale) built here in Fort Worth in the late 1990s by some local folks was not a good flyer.

Many more deserving and popular aircraft need to be done before the Flying Dorito.
                Thats awesome. Any pictures or info on either your model or the larger glow? I am genuinely interested in trying to scratchbuild/3d print one.

Comment

Just too obscure and would not sell enough volume to make it worth while. Most people born since 1992 have no idea what it is.

But, but, but.... I love Doritos!
                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Especially the Taco flavored Doritos!

Comment

Thats awesome. Any pictures or info on either your model or the larger glow? I am genuinely interested in trying to scratchbuild/3d print one.
                      I might be able to turn up a picture of the 1/20 scale model. It was glow and powered by a Cox .049 Black Widow mounted as a pusher.

The 1/10 scale model was fairly accurate and was built in the mold that GD created for 1/10 scale display models. It was a little heavy, which affected the fairly minimal natural yaw stability. The spilt trailing edge drag rudders worked hard trying to keep it going straight.

would not be hard at all to scratch build one in the style of Keith Sparks at Parkflyer Plastics in Carly light foam.

Comment

I might be able to turn up a picture of the 1/20 scale model. It was glow and powered by a Cox .049 Black Widow mounted as a pusher.

The 1/10 scale model was fairly accurate and was built in the mold that GD created for 1/10 scale display models. It was a little heavy, which affected the fairly minimal natural yaw stability. The spilt trailing edge drag rudders worked hard trying to keep it going straight.

would not be hard at all to scratch build one in the style of Keith Sparks at Parkflyer Plastics in Carly light foam.
                        Rather ironic................. that is one of the principle flaws in the full size design that led to it's cancellation. It was over weight to design specs for carrier ops by 30% due to composite material complications.
                        In retrospect for me having been with A-6's of which was to be replaced by the A-12, the actual replacement with the F/A-18 was a superior approach.
                        What really troubles me is that the development mockup of this A-12 now resides at the Veterans Memorial Air Park in Fort Worth which has been renamed Fort Worth Aviation Museum.
                        The fundamental rhetoric of Vets memorial/Aviation museum far exceeded and no where closely resembled this airframe that never even had a maiden.
                        I absolutely concur with your comments in post# 3220 "Just too obscure and would not sell enough volume to make it worth while." and "Many more deserving and popular aircraft need to be done"
                        So Alpha.........no Doritos which means that 1600 Hellcat should now be on the boards right behind the super scale Bronco to be soon released
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Yeah, if they were going to go with obscure concept aircraft that never made it to production, there are many unique planes that actually flew in the testing phase. Just off the top of my head, we have the Pogo, the Flapjack, the Goblin, and the F-107, all of which would make for interesting models, but again, with likely marginal market appeal.

I'd still love to see a T-37/A-37 EDF, a decent O2 Skymaster foamie, or a nice F-101 Voodoo.

Comment

• I got you

Comment

• Originally posted by Hoomi View Post
                              Yeah, if they were going to go with obscure concept aircraft that never made it to production, there are many unique planes that actually flew in the testing phase. Just off the top of my head, we have the Pogo, the Flapjack, the Goblin, and the F-107, all of which would make for interesting models, but again, with likely marginal market appeal.

I'd still love to see a T-37/A-37 EDF, a decent O2 Skymaster foamie, or a nice F-101 Voodoo.
                              How about a UM sized Goblin and a B-29 (the testbed) or B-36 (the intended carrier) to fly it from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

How about a UM sized Goblin and a B-29 (the testbed) or B-36 (the intended carrier) to fly it from.
                                That would definitely be cool.

Now, if the two pilots could manage to retrieve the Goblin in flight...

Comment

• Many subjects are forever destined to remain subjects for scratch building and will never be produced as an ARF. That is a good thing, I think.

There have been a few unexpected (in my opinion) surprises pop out as ARFs over the years. These pleasant surprises include the HK Sea Vixen, the FW P.15 Diana, HK Brewster Buffalo, FMS Hs-123. These are few and far in between. (I own all of them, having a real taste for the unusual.)

Maxford USA has a policy of off the beaten path ARFs, but most are not as good as they really need to be. Most will never sell in any significant numbers. Their C-130 is very poorly realized. Some of the WWI and Pre WWI ARF models are not bad.

A few kits are out there to help obtain some of the obscure aircraft, where an ARF is unlikely to ever be done. Wings on the Web has a nice but expensive Ho.9 kit for twin 70mm fans.

When I retire in 2020, I am going to firmly dig into my backlog of must build aircraft that will never see the light of day as ARFs.

One of my must builds was this Be-200 model. Own design, built from scratch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Be-200.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	219367

Comment

• tab28682 got a list to share of the obscure aircrafts you are interested in?

Comment

tab28682 got a list to share of the obscure aircrafts you are interested in?
                                      I have already knocked off the Be-200 and a small Republic XF-12 Rainbow.

Still in the queue:

Martin P4M Mercator at about 80" span. Twin .25 class electric motors and twin 64mm EDFs
                                      Messerschmitt Me-264 bomber at about 80" span
                                      Tupolev Tu-16. Lightweight for twin 64mm fans.
                                      Belyayev BD-LK twin flying wing bomber
                                      Tupolev ANT-6/TB-3 at 80" span. (Already framed up, 50% complete, lightweight, all done in 6mm and 3mm depron, with balsa ribs and spruce spars))
                                      some odds and ends from the Luft '46 collection.
                                      Finish my Wings on the Web kit of the Ho.9 81" span twin 70mm fans.

Nearly zero chance of these choices ever becoming ARFs....:)

Comment

• tab28682

What size is your Be-200?!?! Looks like HET or Wemo sized fans? Please do create a separate thread here on Hobby Squawk to show us your scratch built creations, I know I'd enjoy seeing your process and results. That picture of yours made my day.

I too like the obscure and as-yet un-massproduced models, and I tend to agree that it's a good thing certain models remain within the realm of kit builders or scratch builders only. If I was immortal I'd slowly build up a hangar including XP-67, YB-35, X-36, Ar.E 555, Dragon Rapide, Kyushu J7W, Bugatti 100P, XP-54, BV 141, Pond Racer, Gotha, Tu-95, G500, He-162, Be-200, King Air 90, Su-20, Me-210, N1K1, Beechcraft Starship, Hustler, Harrier, Tornado, Vulcan, Mriya, Martin Mars, Partridge, Pear Tree.

​​​​​​​
                                        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                          tab28682

What size is your Be-200?!?! Looks like HET or Wemo sized fans? Please do create a separate thread here on Hobby Squawk to show us your scratch built creations, I know I'd enjoy seeing your process and results. That picture of yours made my day.

I too like the obscure and as-yet un-massproduced models, and I tend to agree that it's a good thing certain models remain within the realm of kit builders or scratch builders only. If I was immortal I'd slowly build up a hangar including XP-67, YB-35, X-36, Ar.E 555, Dragon Rapide, Kyushu J7W, Bugatti 100P, XP-54, BV 141, Pond Racer, Gotha, Tu-95, G500, He-162, Be-200, King Air 90, Su-20, Me-210, N1K1, Beechcraft Starship, Hustler, Harrier, Tornado, Vulcan, Mriya, Martin Mars, Partridge, Pear Tree.

​​​​​​​
                                          I'd be on board with the XB-35 and a large BE-200, with retracts to make it truly amphibious. Of course, I'm still waiting for a nice 1400mm Cessna Skymaster ;-)

JB

Comment

Working...
                                          X