X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
    Yes.”From memory there is a hole there to put a screw in if you want to but there isn't one out of the box.​”.
    wrong

Comment

Both of my Shrikes had the bottom hatch screw installed from the factory.

Comment

I just bought this glider because I'm a sucker for full house foam sailplanes and the price was reasonable. It flies well enough but the prop/spinner setup isn't ideal. I ended up using epoxy on the spinner to keep it from flying off when I cut the power. It's also a little disappointing that they used C clips for the prop retainers making prop swaps difficult. I also needed to dremel the spinner where the prop rubs it or tightening the spinner at all produced too much friction and the blades would not fold. I think most beginners are going to have a hard time with the prop/spinner situation, otherwise it's great. I do appreciate the plug in wings and the pin to hold the wings on however due to the spar, a cartwheel is still going to break the wing. Multiplex has this figured out., they also use a pin to keep the wings on but the spars interlock at the roots. When a cartwheel happens, the wings breakaway clean. It's brilliant and should be adopted for all foam glider, especially those aimed at beginners.

Comment

CG Clarification
          The manual says 65mm behind the leading edge but the photo shows 65mm behind the fuselage insert which is about 10mm further forward. Which is correct?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	21
Size:	650.3 KB
ID:	402401
          Last edited by Rhodesengr; Apr 29, 2024, 09:58 PM. Reason: add photo

Comment

THe aft location is what I used and your rx AND battery have to be shoved WAY back in the fuse to get that CG however with this location the plane flies well with a neutral elevator

Comment

Originally posted by fox flyer View Post
              THe aft location is what I used and your rx AND battery have to be shoved WAY back in the fuse to get that CG however with this location the plane flies well with a neutral elevator
              OK thanks, so just to be clear 65mm back from the actual leading edge? More or less the rear edge of the connector.

Comment

Yes, if not a little further back than that for a neutral dive test.

Comment

Yes, if not a little further back than that for a neutral dive test.
                  OK cool. I usually shoot for a slightly nose heavy CG so the dive test yields a mild pull-up.

Comment

Yeah, CG is suit to taste but as delivered if a 3s 2200 is placedin the middle of the battery tray the CG will be WAY too far forward. I get over 3 min. of WOT on the 2200 pack to storage voltage and I typically just climb for 10 or 15 sec then glide. Doing so with this plane results in 20 min. flights in dead air which is pretty impressive. It's no F5J glider but for the price, it's hard to beat. Due to the short span it's also very responsive to minor aileron inputs

Comment

Yeah, CG is suit to taste but as delivered if a 3s 2200 is placedin the middle of the battery tray the CG will be WAY too far forward. I get over 3 min. of WOT on the 2200 pack to storage voltage and I typically just climb for 10 or 15 sec then glide. Doing so with this plane results in 20 min. flights in dead air which is pretty impressive. It's no F5J glider but for the price, it's hard to beat. Due to the short span it's also very responsive to minor aileron inputs
                      I run my Walrus with an 1800. The I fly, I use power very intermittently. I just fly up and power off and try to find thermals. I bet the 1800 will balance easier. I will look at that tonight.

Comment

Yes it will.. I'm actually using an SMC HV 2000-2400 pack which is lighter than a typical 2200. Charging it to 4.35 gives a little added boost and of course more capacity. I'm going to try a 10x5 aeronaut prop as I'm sure the ESC and motor can handle it.

Comment

The 3S 1800 45C fits and balances nicely to give COG 65mm behind actual wing LE. It is pretty close to being centered under the provided battery strap. I have not air-tested yet but will soon. My 3S 1800 came from GensAce

Comment

Actually the climb rate with my HV pack and the stock 9x5 prop is pretty impressive. It's better than I thought it would be

Comment

Working...
                            X