Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding power adds weight every time, if you want to maintain the same flight duration.
    Carrying that weight requires more power for minimum airspeed to maintain controlled flight. The increased minimum airspeed needed is directly related to weight. The power needed has a CUBIC relationship to the increased airspeed.
    You have to have 8X power to double airspeed, before you get there you can easily be too heavy to fly.

The 4S Dynam 70mm fans are pretty decent. The 60 amp ESCs Dynam supplied previously were marginal for the fans. They work much better with Castle ESCs.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

The Gloster now comes with 80amp esc’s. First run up went well. We will see......

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!!! Good luck with the maiden!! :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by lmramos44 View Post

Esc’s do not determine your input voltage. That is dictated by what motors are turning those edf’s. ;)But I agree a jet of this size should have a 6s power system. I will see how well I like this jet and decide if I should invest in a 6s power system. If I do it will either be a Freewing or RC Lander set of fans.
          I realize that but the motor ESC looks like it would be fine on 6S.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Yes and as for the extra weight, one could always lighten the load with lower capacity packs.

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

I realize that but the motor ESC looks like it would be fine on 6S.
              Well I will put the meter on them and see what I get running a 6 cell....let you know.

Comment

Ok, so I installed the Robart wheels and finished the paint. I am still undecided on the stock decals. Going to hook it up to the meter tonight and see exactly how many watts/amps it pulls. The maiden Sunday. Saturday we have a Jet Fly In at Lodi, Ca. All the big money will be there. I will post some pics.

Comment

Get some video!:Cool:

Comment

Just ran power test using a 4s 4500mah 45c (full throttle)
                    101.79 amps
                    1407.99 watts
                    4.75 lbs thrust
                    Thats asking a lot from a 4 cell. What do you guys think?
                    Thanks

Comment

Depends on the capacity and c rating. If its low on either then yeah thats gonna hurt the pack, but if its say a 5000, 40+ c rating, shouldn't be any issue

Comment

Well I will put the meter on them and see what I get running a 6 cell....let you know.
                        I suspect the fan rotor wouldn't handle 6S even if the motor can.
                        I've seen the results of an EDF rotor burst. You don't want it to happen inside your model. It could rip the Meteor's wing apart.
                        But you do want a significant amount of foam to absorb the energy of the blades getting thrown off the fan or you want to be behind a Lexan shield...
                        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Ok so I hooked the meter up to the Gloster and plugged a 6s 4500mah 65c in. I reluctantly slowly pushed the throttle to full and here are the numbers:
                          102 amps
                          2028 watts
                          4.91 lbs of thrust
                          so I still have plenty of head room as far as the esc’s are concerned, but that does not mean the motors are going to last pushing the extra voltage . I also consider the fact that the fans do not “unload” like they would while moving through the air. Sooo, I am going to maiden this baby tomorrow and take a six cell if I feel lucky. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Six cell meter reading

Comment

Coming along , upgraded 6 cell fms edf and inunner motors
                              smoked conopy and will try a few other canopy options will be adding new wheels. Gonna try sm 90 mm yak struts, A -10 gun pods, inlet rings weathering etc .
                              maiden this week ...

Comment

Originally posted by yf22raptor View Post
                                Coming along , upgraded 6 cell fms edf and inunner motors
                                smoked conopy and will try a few other canopy options will be adding new wheels. Gonna try sm 90 mm yak struts, A -10 gun pods, inlet rings weathering etc .
                                maiden this week ...
                                Very nice, inspiring me to do more. The Robart wheels look great on mine. Probably going to fly using a six cell, numbers say it will work and funny enough, it cg’s perfect with a 6s 4000.....go figure.

Comment

Indeed and that static numbers, should be even better in air :)

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                    Indeed and that static numbers, should be even better in air :)
                                    I agree.....

Comment

Mirage 2000 3 -D printed cock fits perfect with little mod just finished weathering painting and add green led light..

Comment

I agree.....
                                        I cant wait to see how she does, hope you can get a good video when she rotates into the wild blue!

Comment

Successful maiden today 3 flight ...

she flys nice rotates fast and is a floater on landing
                                          no flaps need .

will need elevator mod 9grm servo and thier set up
                                          not enough for a full speed dive will add independent
                                          elevator servos and upgrade to 19gram metal gear .

Comment

Working...
                                          X