X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom,

Welcome to HobbySquawk, and congrats on the F-22 purchase!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to get the full canopy frame on your print bed. Mine is 250mm x 250mm x 200mm, and I was just barely able to fit it on the bed laying it diagonally across. You may be able to slice it about 100mm back from the front tip and then glue the two pieces together. Adding the canopy to it will give it some rigid structure.
    Pat

Comment

• Thanks Pat. I'll have to finagle it. Maybe print two halves.

Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Radar-Guy View Post
        Hot off the printer: The F-22 Main Wheel Hubcap
        Not a snap-on design, a bit of glue will be required.
        I have tried multiple times/settings changes to print these but the large inner ring is not adhering to the part and I can see that it looks like it is floating above a grove in my Simplify 3D slicer. I have tried different settings with no success. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Steve,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with printing this file. I looked up the design in Fusion 360 again and don't see a floating part. In addition, I've uploaded the file from here and imported it into the slicer that I'm using (Slic3r Prusa Edition). I don't see any issues there as well. I printed mine with the back side on the heat bed, no supports, and both came out fine.
          I admit that I made a lot of changes in this area during the creation to make it fit onto the stock wheel hub.
          Any experts here to help?
          Pat, did you try to print those already?

Frank

Comment

• hello,

someone have the stl for the external tanks please ?

thanks
            D@v

Comment

Steve,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with printing this file. I looked up the design in Fusion 360 again and don't see a floating part. In addition, I've uploaded the file from here and imported it into the slicer that I'm using (Slic3r Prusa Edition). I don't see any issues there as well. I printed mine with the back side on the heat bed, no supports, and both came out fine.
              I admit that I made a lot of changes in this area during the creation to make it fit onto the stock wheel hub.
              Any experts here to help?
              Pat, did you try to print those already?

Frank
              I have pulled the file into 360 and converted it to a BRep. I can clearly see what looks like a shadow under the ring and when it prints there is clearly a grove under the ring. The model looks fine until I view it layer by layer in my slicer and the groove is formed, then the ring on top of it so it appears to be doing what it is being told to do. As a result there is no adhesion of the ring to the part. I have a friend here I can get help from with it. I will keep you posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by D@v View Post
                hello,

thanks
                D@v
                Hello D@v and welcome to HobbySquawk. At this point no one has created any wing tank files for the F-22 to my knowledge. The ones that some are flying on their birds appear to be the wing tanks from the Freewing 90mm F-16.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

I have pulled the file into 360 and converted it to a BRep. I can clearly see what looks like a shadow under the ring and when it prints there is clearly a grove under the ring. The model looks fine until I view it layer by layer in my slicer and the groove is formed, then the ring on top of it so it appears to be doing what it is being told to do. As a result there is no adhesion of the ring to the part. I have a friend here I can get help from with it. I will keep you posted.
                  Here is a revised version. I removed the inner rings plus the associated extrusions and draw them again, removing one of the outer circular extrusions in the process as well. Now the part comes with the inner ring properly printed (my printer simply omitted it with the first version and I didn't realize it). Please check out this one. Sorry for any inconvience it may have caused. :Sweating:
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Here is a pic of the old and new version (V2)

Comment

• Originally posted by D@v View Post
                      hello,

thanks
                      D@v
                      I will be using the wing tanks from a 90mm FW F-16. They seem to be the proper scale.
                      Pat

Comment

• Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                        I will be using the wing tanks from a 90mm FW F-16. They seem to be the proper scale.
                        They look great! However 50 bucks for the 90 mm Viper weapons set! Are there .stl files for these??? :-)
                        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Not that I know of.
                          Pat

Comment

Here is a revised version. I removed the inner rings plus the associated extrusions and draw them again, removing one of the outer circular extrusions in the process as well. Now the part comes with the inner ring properly printed (my printer simply omitted it with the first version and I didn't realize it). Please check out this one. Sorry for any inconvience it may have caused. :Sweating:
                            Better but now the inner most raised ring is floating. Sorry to be such a pain...

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-22 Hubcap V2 Layer 8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	30.9 KB ID:	170684

Click image for larger version  Name:	F-22 Hubcap V2 Layer 9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	29.2 KB ID:	170683

Comment

• It looks correct in Fusion though....hmmm.. very strange.

Comment

• OK, here is the final version (got approval from Steve after PM exchange). :Whew:
                                Attached Files

Comment

I had the same issue with V1. Printed V2 and they are much better. Thanks!
                                  Pat

Comment

I had the same issue with V1. Printed V2 and they are much better. Thanks!
                                    Thanks Pat. No need to print V3 then.

Frank

Comment

• Go with what works! Thanks again Frank.

Comment

• Wheels look SO MUCH BETTER now! Thanks Frank!

And in order to give it a little depth, I painted the raised bump on the hub black. You can see the difference between painted and unpainted.
                                        Pat

Comment

Pat, I'm only mentioning this because you are obviously someone who cares about scale appearance- note in this shot how the back of the tank ends considerably before the flap LE , also how the pylon extends to the wing LE.
                                          A question too. The full-size tanks have a significant downward angle compared to the wing incidence. I wonder if this will have an adverse aero effect if copied over to our models? Must work for the big ones though...:)
                                          Tom

Comment

Working...
                                          X