Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have been flying the A-6 and the Venom for some time now. I have found that to much flap on landing to be problematic on these two. I would bounce the Venom in almost everytime. the A-6 was about 50/50. I found that using only landing flaps on the A-6 and no flaps on the Venom solved all of my bounce problems. Flaps sure are a nice feature, but these aircraft really fly better without them

Comment

Been flying my A-6 for about 4 weeks with maybe a dozen flights. Also have had bounce issues on pavement but I mostly have to fly her off grass where she hardly ever bounces, but on grass it is really huge takeoff runs due to the tiny nose wheels and absolutely impossible this time of year due to the leaves on the field, because the cheater sucks everyone up within 12 inches of the planes, making her just wallow down the entire runway. I had a spare 80mm A-4 nose gear and decided to try it, and was very happy. Not only does it take off in only 100-150 foot, but it lifts the nose up high enough to keep the cheater out of the FOD. I know it doesn't look scale but when it comes to be able to either flying it or just looking at her, flying wins hands down, plus I can always convert her back to the little nose gear wheels for show. If you try it, you will have to grind two new flats on the A-6 Strut for the A-4 nose gear and you have to cut about 1/4 inch of foam out of the rear firewall to fit the longer strut and larger wheel, but it is hardly noticeable.

Comment

BTW, regarding landings, I always turn final pretty hot and very far from my landing spot. When using flaps, don't crank in your max flaps until your on final and then just control your altitude with mostly throttle and some elevator. I have never had a problem when operating her this way, but she'll still bounce on you on a hard runway.

Comment

I just bought this one yesterday. expecting it on Friday. I'm hoping that I made a good purchase decision with this one. I fly off of a Bermuda grass runway.

Comment

If you can keep it cut to 1 " or less you'll be fine.
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

mine arrived today, in beautiful condition. haven't had a chance to do a systems check yet, but I'm quite pleased with the fit and finish. except for the aft belly pan. it doesn't fit all that great. I really like the optional weapons package that I ordered with the plane. It went together in about 10 minutes on my lunch break. I also noticed that the nose gear has a metal trunion.

Comment

One of my favorite jets, solid flyer and it sounds great.
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Hey guys, will a Gensace 5000 45c fit and fly this one okay or too heavy you think??

Comment

Probably too heavy. It will fly, but nose heavy, which on this plane really slows it down. Biggest pack I fly with is a 4000.
                    Pat

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                      Hey guys, will a Gensace 5000 45c fit and fly this one okay or too heavy you think??
                      I fly mine with the newer Admiral 5000.
                      TiredIron Aviation
                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Okay, thanks. Went with the FW Me 262, haven't owned one of those yet so thought I would try it out, next up might be the Intruder.

Comment

Well, I got one of these bad boys on the way, needed something to build while waiting on the F-4. Hope it is a nice kit without some of the problems others have had....;)

Comment

They've made some good improvements on the recent versions than the original. Beefier landing gear and the ability to move the battery back further. Flies great!
                            Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                              They've made some good improvements on the recent versions than the original. Beefier landing gear and the ability to move the battery back further. Flies great!
                              Beefier gear hmmmm..........Could you elaborate further Pat with some measurements say like the main/nose oleo outer strut case and inner shaft ?
                              Thanx;)
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hope it's better, it should be here this week maybe or early next week so we shall see how it goes together and flies.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Beefier gear hmmmm..........Could you elaborate further Pat with some measurements say like the main/nose oleo outer strut case and inner shaft ?
                                  Thanx;)
                                  The original all-plastic gear casings were prone to cracking easily. Now they have metal collars at the trunion pivot that help make them a little stronger. The plastic casings will still crack sometimes upon a hard landing, but they're actually a built-in safety feature to prevent greater damage.
                                  Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                                    The original all-plastic gear casings were prone to cracking easily. Now they have metal collars at the trunion pivot that help make them a little stronger. The plastic casings will still crack sometimes upon a hard landing, but they're actually a built-in safety feature to prevent greater damage.
                                    Got it, same struts just improved etracts. ;)
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

Exactly. Since getting the updated nose gear for mine, I've not had it break yet. But then again, I land much better now too. :)
                                      Pat

Comment

Geeez, My Intruder is from the first batch. So now I'm hearing it has better retracts and more room for the battery? What else has changed, I really have to start unboxing some of my jets.:(

Comment

Just don't land it hard, and you can remove a triangle of foam from the rear of the battery bay. The manual CG is way nose heavy.
                                          Pat

Comment

Working...
                                          X