X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing A6 Intruder

Question for those A-6 pilots. Is there any mods to decrease or limit the tip stall characteristics on this bird? Increase washout?
    Chris

RE: Freewing A6 Intruder

Hello CT,
    Never have had an issue with tip stalling this bird but then again I don't try and float any of my warbirds around especially into landings.
    The one thing that this Intruder is really susceptible to is ground effect while flaring out for a landing.
    I average about 90% of my landings across my many airframes as greasers but this A-6 has played havoc at 50/50 good/bad. I have never used a gyro before but decided to see if one would be able to correct quicker than I could when 2-4 ft above the ground. I stuck an Eagle A3-L 3 axis gyro in it with an AR8000 Rx so that I could turn it on/off. It really tamed this to where I am hitting my landing averages again with it. I don't use the gyro until I am approaching the final 180 leg for landing and then turn it on and set up for a positive attack angle(about 5 degree) with full flaps and control my descent with throttle(leaving elevator alone). Hope I've given you an alternative perspective on how to enjoy this bird.
    Best Regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
      Hello CT,
      Never have had an issue with tip stalling this bird but then again I don't try and float any of my warbirds around especially into landings.
      The one thing that this Intruder is really susceptible to is ground effect while flaring out for a landing.
      I average about 90% of my landings across my many airframes as greasers but this A-6 has played havoc at 50/50 good/bad. I have never used a gyro before but decided to see if one would be able to correct quicker than I could when 2-4 ft above the ground. I stuck an Eagle A3-L 3 axis gyro in it with an AR8000 Rx so that I could turn it on/off. It really tamed this to where I am hitting my landing averages again with it. I don't use the gyro until I am approaching the final 180 leg for landing and then turn it on and set up for a positive attack angle(about 5 degree) with full flaps and control my descent with throttle(leaving elevator alone). Hope I've given you an alternative perspective on how to enjoy this bird.
      Best Reg
      Thanks Charlie,
      It's strange, at times you experience anomalies to flying certain birds and think it unusual or unique, then you read that every other pilot experiences the same. In this case I am dealing with what I consider major tip stall characteristics with the A-6 and wanted to get some feedback before replacing and very surprised this is not an issue. I am also having a unique issue with trying to maiden my T-45, on roll out for t/o, it will suddenly veer to one side and fighting it only ends in fisgtailing. Alpha was helping me with this issue but have tred all fixes to no avail, 1. replacing servo 2. tightening all linkage 3. made sure all wheels were aligned correctly 4. wired direct to Rx 5. Tried diff main gear w/ limited oleo travel. 6. Tried to push through this tendency with full throttle, no success.  To date I have not yet maidened my 45. And to top it off, not one comment in all the reviews regarding the issue I am experiencing.

Comment

Question about landing this bird.

So i took her up for the maiden flight yesterday and was successful. The only issue I have is with landing speed. I watched several videos where Captain Mike explained that they fly the plane to the ground, no flare or dropping the throttle too much. So that is exactly what I did, landings were quick, bouncy and long... Really wished I had breaks.

I will admit, i was too afraid to drop the throttle at low altitude like I would for a prop plane. On my next flights Im thinking I would see how slow I can get it at a higher altitude before seeing any sort of stall.

Comment

I flew the A-6 for about two years. I fly off of grass, so the take-offs were long and the landings were rather short. After replacing the rotating mains a few times, I decided to see if I could hand launch it. The bird has a big, fat belly, but I was able to find a spot where I could get a good grip on it. So, into the wind, I gave it nice hard toss!! I let it settle and build speed, and when it was about six inches off the deck, starting feeding up elevator into it, and sure enough, the hand launched 80mm Intruder was born. I took the retracts out and filled the holes with foam. I flew it for about a year and a half this way. I would chop the power on the turn onto final and glide it in for a belly landing nice and smooth. I will not say that every launch was successful, and by the time I retired it, I had gone through a replacement fuse and a lot of epoxy, but it was about a 90-10 success rate. I had a lot of fun with that model, and I will get another at some point!!

As for stalling, the only time it ever stalled on me was bad hand launches. Like I said, I would glide the plane in for belly landings, and I was flying it on a 5000mAh Admiral. I hope this helps,

LAUNCH THE INTRUDER!! (Ving Rhames, Flight of the Intruder)

Comment

Hey guys,

So last weekend I lost control while in flight and unfortunately she didnt make it. Because I loved her so much I decided to get a new replacement. The PNP model arrived yesterday and while inspecting I noticed the internals are different then the previous version I bought last month. The wires look to be more clean in placement and there's no external BEC/on & off switch wired to the ESC and EC5 connector, dangling around. Do you guys think this particular purchase is an older or newer version?

They both have the newer battery compartment with the back wall.

Comment

Have never seen a kit version :Confused: Where'd you get it from?
              Your "previous version", was it a PNP from Motion?
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Sorry, not a kit. I'll correct that.

It was a PNP purchase directly from Motion RC.

Comment

take off and landings can be tricky power is everything. Avoid crosswinds she will flip over in those conditions. Other than that I can go 100 ft shut the power off half flaps and I can land this without much issue as long as you have enough speed.

Comment

I've only purchased one of these back in October 2014, but it was the version with the revised battery box (no foam wedge at the back). But it did not come with an external BEC, just the standard EC5 plug straight to the ESC, no extra wiring. Did you purchase your first one directly from Motion, or did you buy it secondhand?
                    Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
                      I've only purchased one of these back in October 2014, but it was the version with the revised battery box (no foam wedge at the back). But it did not come with an external BEC, just the standard EC5 plug straight to the ESC, no extra wiring. Did you purchase your first one directly from Motion, or did you buy it secondhand?
                      Purchased directly from Motion RC...

Ughh... This isnt sounding good.

I lost all power while doing normal flying which resulted in my crash and me having to re-purchas a whole new plane. I really hope my original purchase wasnt someones return with modified parts. :/ I hope someone from MRC can chime in and confirm things.

:/

Comment

The Bounce...

I've watched so many videos of this plane and none bounce like mine does. How do you guys land without the bounce? Mine is like a basketball.

Comment

Lots of practice. Each plane seems to have it's own unique landing style.

However, most planes that bounce do so because the sink rate is too high. Make your approach with power on and a little nose up attitude, then use throttle to control the rate of descent.
                          Pat

Comment

Hi guys...
                            The A-6 can be quite bitchy. In the landing approach with flaps you should not fly too many curves, since they abruptly speed down. You should intensively practice the A-6 landing approaches.Try to fly with positiv AOA (angle of attack). Plastic_Aviator, is this your first Jet ?

Comment

Anyone happen to have any rotating retracts laying around that they would be willing to part with?
                              Thanks

Comment

Ok try this again, Anyone have a spare fueling probe I can get from you?
                                Thanks

Comment

Been flying my A-6 for over a year now---The only thing I notice is to land with BIT OF SPEED, NO FLAPS and throttle her in. She's hot on landing, but comes off the ground on take-off very scale-like. Weak landing gear though.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Hello CT,
                                    I average about 90% of my landings across my many airframes as greasers but this A-6 has played havoc at 50/50 good/bad. I have never used a gyro before but decided to see if one would be able to correct quicker than I could when 2-4 ft above the ground. I stuck an Eagle A3-L 3 axis gyro in it with an AR8000 Rx so that I could turn it on/off. It really tamed this to where I am hitting my landing averages again with it. I don't use the gyro until I am approaching the final 180 leg for landing and then turn it on and set up for a positive attack angle(about 5 degree)*with full flaps and control my descent with throttle(leaving elevator alone). Hope I've given you an alternative perspective on how to enjoy this bird.
                                    Best Regards,
                                    Going to add a gyro too

Comment

Originally posted by warbirdbob View Post
                                      Been flying my A-6 for over a year now---The only thing I notice is to land with BIT OF SPEED, NO FLAPS and throttle her in. She's hot on landing, but comes off the ground on take-off very scale-like. Weak landing gear though.
                                      I land mine with full flaps and she settles in like a trainer, this jet doesn't need a gyro it's the most locked in jet I have.
                                      TiredIron Aviation
                                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Love my A-6. Have about 25 flight on her. Recently replaced my rudder servo . It was pegging to the left. made a flight after the repair. did the same thing. I have a youtube video of the 2nd failure. turnd out its the Y-cable. have to change. Also going to ad a gyro to smooth out the landings.
                                        I flew her 2x off the now closed Grumman Calverton runway. Feels so cool to fly there. Have pics and vids. Crappy resolution though. Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF7249.JPG Views:	1 Size:	117.2 KB ID:	99550

Comment

Working...
                                        X