Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
    Yes indeed!
    I'm still enjoying flying my F-100 even with the Stock Fan.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	F-100 - Profile.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	321629

Comment

Originally posted by Dwalkerp47 View Post

I'm still enjoying flying my F-100 even with the Stock Fan.

.Click image for larger version

Name:	F-100 - Profile.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	321629
      Heck yeah even the stock fan wasn't bad, I just wanted alittle bit more. I'm not balls to the wall flyer all the time, but it's fun knowing you have it if you want it.

Comment

I am still flying mine with OE gear in it. Nice jet , looks great. A few minor issues. Great first military jet from flex

Comment

Good days guys. Just did a successful maiden flight today of the Flex Innovations F-100D. Link to the video of the second flight down below.
          I would like to share my experience setting up the Flex Innovations F100D Super Sabre with the Spektrum AR637T PWM receiver. As there is little information about this jet out there.

I purchased this from Hobbytown online store. The total price was 530 plus tax and 15 bucks for shipping. I would not say it is a good deal(will explain more about why). But it is a great jet where you can only find from Flex Innovations.

First thing first, A list of all the onboard electronics:
          Spektrum AR637T receiver.
          Avian 130A Smart ESC Version A. (from E-flite 90mm Viper)
          E-flite 90mm EDF with inrunner motor. (from E-flite 90mm Viper)
          Assan AG61 Steering gyro.
          Maiden with HRB 6000mah 50C lipo. (845g sit right behind the vent hole)

List of Other modifications:
          Robart 3" scale rubber wheels.
          Dave Brown 1.75"x12.7mm foam nose wheels. (sanded down to about 1.6" diameter)
          A 5" EC5 extension lead. 10awg wire.
          E-flite SU-30 Pilot.

Build:
          Assembly:
          The jet goes together pretty fast. One of the Flap control horns came loose. Had to glue it back on. The vertical fin needs some extra glue to stay in place, so make sure you secure all servo lead connections before you glue it down.
          BTW, Make sure you pull all control horns "as hard as you can!" Or you might end at with some sheeeeeeeetshows like my T45 from MRC. (find more information about my experience with MRC here: RCgroup Vendor talk, where customer does not matter)

Receiver setting:
          I've seen a few videos that claim that the Aura 8 has some problems. Also, a part of me doesn't want to go through all the trouble to learn a new gyro. So I choose to use an AR637T receiver instead. And hooked everything up PWM with it.There were 3 servos you have to manually reverse when you put them on a Y lead. One flap servo, one elevator servo, and the rudder servo. (check out how you can reverse a servo here. search Easy Servo Reversing Method on Youtube.).

Everything is set up conventionally. No taileron, flaperon etc. The jet has a great roll rate and plenty of elevator&rudder authority with this setup.
          Aileron 20mm up&down. measured at the trailing edge close to the fuselage. High rate with 30% expo. Low rate of 70% travel with 20% expo. Note: put the control linkage one hole inner on the servo arm. For better aileron control resolution.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	aile.jpg
Views:	1042
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	328889
          Elevator 38mm up&down. Measured at the leading edge at the fuselage. High rate with 30% expo. Low rate of 70% travel with 20% expo.

Name:	ele.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	328891
          Rudder 36mm left&right. Measured at bottom of the rudder. High rate with 25% expo. Low rate of 70% travel with 15% expo.

Name:	rudder.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	328890
          Flap. Set up by the book. 32mm for takeoff/half. 60mm for landing/full. With 1% and 3% up elevator mix. Measured at the trailing edge at the fuselage.

Electronics:

AR637T and AG61 steering gyro mounted with double side tape. Secured with foam-safe glue. Used the stock Gear door sequencer. Note: With the stock sequencer. If you left the gear down before plugging in. The gear will not go up on your first control of retracting the gear. Only the door closes. The gear will go up once you cycle the switch. You can do this once you are in the air. But I would not recommend it. Best to cycle them and make sure they work on the ground.

The E-Flite 90mm EDF and inrunner motor is a drop in fit. No need to worry about FSA(Fan sweeping area/intake area). You may put a few washers at the mounting point. Just to make sure the EDF is not pressured or deformed by the foam surrounding it. The thin plastic exhaust pipe needs to be trimmed short to attach to the E-flite EDF unit. Wrapping it in half and inserting it from the back make assembling easier. Note: If you programmed reverse thrust on the Avian ESC. Be sure to secure the thin plastic exhaust tailpipe. Otherwise, It may be deformed or even sucked into your EDF unit. causing serious damage even crash! That is why I did not demonstrate the thrust reversing in the video.

I drilled a hole in front of the receiver and steering Gyro. Also, cut off a piece of foam in front of the battery. They will help to cool your battery. As there was no venting for them.

Name:	Inkedhatch_LI.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	328892
          2 marks showcase battery location on my plane. Yours may vary.

CG at the manual recommended position. (maybe a couple of mm forward for the maiden fight) the Elevator is 26mm down below the seam line when neutral.

Gear modifications:
          The main strut is a bit too soft. they are partially compressed when sitting on the ground. I added a piece of spring on each side to make it stiffer. So are not compressed when sitting on the ground.
          However, the nose strut is on the stiffer side. There is not much weight distributed at the nose. So I cut off 3-4 coils of the stock spring and put a piece of softer spring in it. Combined with Dave Brown's soft nose wheels. This will help with a bumpy hard surface, like our geotextile runway.
          Robart 3" rubber wheels and Dave Brown 1.75"(sanded down to 1.6") are drop-in fits. A couple of washers would deem necessary.

I also added a layer of rubber washer underneath the main retract mount. Just to elevate the main gear a little. So it sits on the ground with a lower AOA. Would also help with touching down with main wheels on landings.

Pilot figure:
          I have an E-Flite SU-30 pilot around. Was planning to add it to my SU-30. But it looks just right for the F100. The stock pilot is too small.

ESC mounting:
          The Avian 130A Version A. ESC is designed to fit the 90mm Viper from E-flite. It has a longer battery lead compared to regular Avian 130A ESCs. However, it is still a couple of inches short to fit the F100. So you will need an extension lead. I would recommend 10 AWG wires at least(more AWG means less Amp, so 12 AWG would not be enough. You can find 10AWG EC5/IC5 to EC5/IC5 extension lead at Horizon Hobby). As it can draw over 100A in a leveled flight.

Feed the ESC from the back, just on top of the EDF mount. Make sure the heat sink is facing downward. I cut a square vent hole just underneath the ESC's heat sink. And secure the ESC with foam-safe glue. Note: the F100 comes with a vent hole on each side. But they are rarely small. So to make it 100% safe. I would recommend cutting your own vent hole for the ESC. This is achievable before you mount the EDF unit in place. You can make the cut through the EDF mounting place. Be careful not to cut the elevator and rudder wire while doing it.

Flying:
          The F100 is known to have tip stall issues. So be sure to keep your AOA low in turns and coordinate your turns with the rudder. And always add power in turns.
          The jet really glides well. You can land it with power off. Although I would recommend you stay on that throttle and keep the AOA reasonable low in case it gets too slow.
          With the E-flite EDF unit. Full ordnance, it gives me 4m of mixed throttle flying with the 6000 HRB pack. Came down with 30-35%. Set the timer at 3:45 if you are flying really hard.
          It has plenty of power to rotate. As it has a wing load of only 85-95g/square dm. EDF has a wing load of 150g/square dm regularly.

Final thoughts:
          This is a unique military jet on the market. The finish is not comparable to FMS/E-flite. But still reasonably good looking from a couple ft away. The price is a bit high at 530/550 + shipping. Consider I had to take out the Aura8, the stock outrunner EDF unit, and the ESC. I would say, with the stock EDF, 450 would be a better price range for this jet. But it is what it is for the price, coz I don't have any other choices.

Comment

@Enzo_K I was about to ask about the thrust reverse until I read that you did it. I have the FlexJet and it too, has that exhaust tube. I suppose it's possible to stick that tube at various places to prevent it from deforming when reversed. From the looks of it, it could use thrust reverse as it comes in hot and rolls easily. I've had this jet on my wish list for some time now but haven't committed due to the price and other considerations (perceived lack of power, Canadian seller won't answer my questions about availability, poor-ish foam quality, dislike of the Aura 9, etc.) I didn't even know that there are other sellers in the US for Flex stuff until now. It's strange that they have stock when Flex doesn't and that they can sell this thing cheaper than Flex. I have always planned to replace the EDF in it. I now have a spare Eflite Viper EDF that can go into it.
            Your video shows that the plane tends to be quite pitch sensitive as it appeared to do the "roller coaster" now and then. It also seems very "bouncy" when rolling on the ground. I'm still undecided about this somewhat overpriced jet.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
              @Enzo_K I was about to ask about the thrust reverse until I read that you did it. I have the FlexJet and it too, has that exhaust tube. I suppose it's possible to stick that tube at various places to prevent it from deforming when reversed. From the looks of it, it could use thrust reverse as it comes in hot and rolls easily. I've had this jet on my wish list for some time now but haven't committed due to the price and other considerations (perceived lack of power, Canadian seller won't answer my questions about availability, poor-ish foam quality, dislike of the Aura 9, etc.) I didn't even know that there are other sellers in the US for Flex stuff until now. It's strange that they have stock when Flex doesn't and that they can sell this thing cheaper than Flex. I have always planned to replace the EDF in it. I now have a spare Eflite Viper EDF that can go into it.
              Your video shows that the plane tends to be quite pitch sensitive as it appeared to do the "roller coaster" now and then. It also seems very "bouncy" when rolling on the ground. I'm still undecided about this somewhat overpriced jet.
              The Aura8 if 9. Is a no-go. You gonna have to put a receiver in it anyways. So go PWM with AR637T is easier. Just need to manually reverse a couple of servos. A bit more wiring, but hey, you don't have to learn an entirely different Gyro system.

If you put some foam-safe glue all around the outside of the exhaust tube. And stick it to the nozzle you should be fine. I'm planning to add an afterburner light, so fixing everything down is not an option for now. But it should be a simple fix.

With the E-flite ESC and EDF, it has more than enough power to get you out of trouble. I can see I did some pretty sharp turns in it. The stock fan seems to be poor in terms of quality and efficiency.

This landing was like 2 times faster than the maiden. As it was a downwind landing. It would've stopped on our runway pretty nicely if I touched down on the first quarter of it. The reverse thrust is more of a "show off&fun trick" for most of my jets.

The roller coaster is part of me slowing it down, trimming and testing the stall speed. Also, I had 44mm of elevator travel, instead of 38mm as I said earlier in the post. Some extra elevator authority is always good on the maiden. I'm yet to fully trim it out. I may lower the elevator setting to 35mm later.

The bouncy on the ground is just our runway. Some potholes are big enough to fit my shoes in. lol Something I have to deal with.

Not sure if Hobbytown ships to Canada or not. But they still have a silver version in stock now. And AmainHobby has both colors. BTW Hobbytown and AmainHobby are good alternatives for any hobby stuff. The Avian 130A ESC Version A. was on backorder at the HH website. However, I was able to catch one from the Hobbytown online store.

Comment

BTW dont let my gf's camera work trick you. Our runway is fairly short or just Okay for a 90mm EDF jet. Its only 280'. Normally I would land into the wind. But I though I'd test it with the tailwind this time.

Comment

I believe HobbyTown will ship to Canada at a discounted rate. They reduce the price of shipping by the amount that they normally would ship for free to US residents, something that I wish Motion would do. If the shipping isn’t too much of a killer from HobbyTown, I may pull the pin on one and build it as a winter project. I’d also seal the whole plane with Urethane to help preserve it a little longer.
                  The powertrain in the F-100 is virtually the same as what’s in my FlexJet and my old Taft ViperJet from years ago. Both those planes, I consider to be very “gutless” even though they do fly OK. If I don’t end up with the F-100, I was planning to put the spare Eflite Viper EDF into the FlexJet. As with you, I yanked out the Aura 8 from the FlexJet after flying it a couple of times. It flew like crap and I could not figure out how to “tune” it via the PC. I replaced it with a standard RX and a stand alone gyro, cut flaps into it and it now flies very well.

Comment

Just checked the shipping on this plane. It turns out that HobbyTown uses the same checkout as Amain. They want nearly $280.00 to ship one to me and that's with their discount. Needless to say, not for me.

Comment

Just checked the shipping on this plane. It turns out that HobbyTown uses the same checkout as Amain. They want nearly $280.00 to ship one to me and that's with their discount. Needless to say, not for me.
                      Oh, wow Sorry to hear that. I guess international shipping is another story. I thought the US to Canada wouldn't be that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo_K View Post

Oh, wow Sorry to hear that. I guess international shipping is another story. I thought the US to Canada wouldn't be that bad.
                        Although cross border shipping has gone nuts, I think Amain shipping, for some reason is abnormally high. I'm not sure if they throw in some "handling charge" in their shipping quote. I know that last year, I wanted to buy a Flite Test plane (Widgeon) that was done through Amain and the shipping for that little box was $200.00 No other online RC model store charges that much to ship a box the size and weight of a Widgeon. Amain is doing the "Whacky Tobaccie" dance with their shipping.
                        I can buy this plane directly from Flex Innovations and they'll charge me $240.00 via FedEx BUT, they have an option called "CAN ground Srvc" for $83.00 - a much better choice, so the game isn't over just yet. I've got all winter to get off the fence. In any event, for Amain to charge another 40 bucks means something shady is going on.
                        As much as I bitch about shipping from Motion, I can get an AL-37 (huge box) shipped for $200.00 and NO BROKERAGE fee when it gets to me. Not only will Amain charge me $280.00 but there will be another 100 bucks of fees when it gets to me. No wonder most Canadian modelers won't buy from them.

Comment

Although cross border shipping has gone nuts, I think Amain shipping, for some reason is abnormally high. I'm not sure if they throw in some "handling charge" in their shipping quote. I know that last year, I wanted to buy a Flite Test plane (Widgeon) that was done through Amain and the shipping for that little box was $200.00 No other online RC model store charges that much to ship a box the size and weight of a Widgeon. Amain is doing the "Whacky Tobaccie" dance with their shipping.
                          I can buy this plane directly from Flex Innovations and they'll charge me $240.00 via FedEx BUT, they have an option called "CAN ground Srvc" for $83.00 - a much better choice, so the game isn't over just yet. I've got all winter to get off the fence. In any event, for Amain to charge another 40 bucks means something shady is going on.
                          As much as I bitch about shipping from Motion, I can get an AL-37 (huge box) shipped for $200.00 and NO BROKERAGE fee when it gets to me. Not only will Amain charge me $280.00 but there will be another 100 bucks of fees when it gets to me. No wonder most Canadian modelers won't buy from them.
                          wow, still cost a fortune if you purchase from Flex. Guess I'm just spoiled with all the free shipping within the domestic US. At 280 I would just drive across the border to their warehouse to pick up myself. lol
                          If this is the #1 jet on your wishlist. I guess 83 shipping from flex is okish. Consider other companies would charge over 200$

Comment

I got an email from Flex Innovations today about their Black Friday sale and the F-100D is reduced in price by 80 bucks. I put one in the cart but before I checked out, I decided to go read the thread again in the "other" forum. Based on the information there (and here), I'm not keeping the Aura8 (don't like it), not keeping the EDF, not keeping the ESC. The final analysis is that this is still a very pricey "ARF". Emptied the cart. Back to "chewing on it".

Comment

Happy new year guys. A little update on the F100 with E-flite 90mm EDF. And AR8360T receiver

During a flight later last year. The F100 would get into LVC when pitching&climbing up with low airspeed while applying full throttle (Came down with more than enough juice left in the tank, 3.85v per cell). I think the EDF is thirsty for air. So I did the following mods to improve its intake ability.

First, I sealed one of the venting holes I opened for the battery bay. Turns out the little hole at the very front is enough to cool everything.

Secondly, I opened up a cheater hole underneath the fuselage(See photo notes for where the cheater hole should be). I use a part of Freewing L-39's cheater hole cover. My GF thinks this vent cover shape fits the jet best. A little bit of sanding and cutting needs to be done for the intake cover. The foam where I cut out the cheater hole is hallowed (2 layers). Some clear plastic covers from the Spektrum receiver were glued around inside of the cheater hole for a smooth finish (Or you can use any thin plastic container from ur salad).

Here comes the question. How big the cheater hole should be?
                              I tried to search for an answer. Turns out, when the EDF is inside the fuselage and has a good amount of distance from the intake. Folks like the performance when the intake area is around 125% of the FSA (fan sweeping area). The FSA of E-flite 90mm fan is 3.14x(4.5cm)^2=63.6cm^2. The front intake of the F100 is about 58cm^2. So we are about 20cm^2 short of our 125% FSA goal. I took 30% off the bottom intake area from the equation. To counter venting bars, and the cheater hole being perpendicular to the airflow most of the time. So, in this case, we need a bottom cheater hole of 20cm^2/70%=28cm^2. Which is exactly what I have for my F100.
                              Disclaimer: I'm not an aerodynamic engineer. All calculations above are based on my current knowledge. Take your own risks if you want to follow the above steps to create a cheater hole on your EDF aircraft. My suggestion is to do a little research about all factors that could determine the intake & cheater hole size. For example, EDF's distance from intake, dual/single intake, exhausts nozzle size, etc. All of them could change the end result. However, I'd love to learn from the community. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Some static ground testing results:
                              The same HRB 6000mah 50C battery was charged at 23.2volts for each test (3.87volts per cell). This is what the battery had left when I experienced the LVC in the air. LVC is set at 3.2 per cell.

F100 Before cheater hole: 15 seconds of full throttle. The ESC goes into LVC after 2-3 seconds of throttle time. Minimum battery volt 19v (3.16v per cell). Battery left with 3.79v per cell.
                              E-flite F16 80mm: 15 seconds of full throttle. The ESC goes into LVC after 11-12 seconds of throttle time. Minimum battery volt at 19.6v (3.26v per cell). Battery left with 3.83v per cell.
                              F100 after mod: 15 seconds of full throttle. The ESC goes into LVC after 11-13 seconds of throttle time. Minimum battery volt at 19.8v (3.3v per cell). Battery left with 3.825v per cell.

Note: The amp draw also went down after the mod. I just didn't record the numbers. As they were all within the rating of the Avian ESC. And it is normal to have the ESC enter LVC on the ground. As the jet is stationary. It is only "sucking" air in. While in the air. The speed of the aircraft helps "push" air in.

Conclusion: In comparison with the F16 80mm. I think the cheater hole mod turned out great. It is not sucking anything up from the ground (Tested with some shared foam right underneath the cheater hole. Nothing went into the EDF with full throttle). A test flight will soon be done once the weather calms down a bit.

Take care,

Comment

Forgot to update the F100 here. I did the cheater hole mod a while back. But was too cold to fly. Today I finally got a chance to do 4 test flights. Here are the results.

The cheater hole mode turns out great. No LVC anymore. I can't feel anything different aerodynamically.

All 4 test flights were around 4 minutes in throttle time. Came down with about 45% left in the battery. Was pretty hard on the throttle most of the time. 5m flight should be easily achieved with some throttle management. (maybe 6m. This jet cruises around with just 1/3 throttle all day!)

Here is another short flight after tuning the CG and trims. The battery moved forward a little bit compared to the original build. Also added a Spektrum telemetry serial receiver.

Comment

Enzo_K ............................. In your first post today, you were talking about the Eflite F-16 80mm fan. In your second post with the video, you typed "Eflite 90mm fan". Which one did you actually use? If you used the 80mm fan, how did you make it fit with that 5mm gap all the way around the fan housing?
                                  Have you tried the reverse thrust? Curious how it works on this plane.

Comment

Enzo_K ............................. In your first post today, you were talking about the Eflite F-16 80mm fan. In your second post with the video, you typed "Eflite 90mm fan". Which one did you actually use? If you used the 80mm fan, how did you make it fit with that 5mm gap all the way around the fan housing?
                                    Have you tried the reverse thrust? Curious how it works on this plane.
                                    I have the 90mm Eflite fan in the F100.
                                    I only used the 80mm F16 as a reference to see how long should a properly set up power unit goes into LVC with full throttle (low voltage cutoff). To see if the 90mm F100 performs well with the cheater hole.

If you read the results part. U will find the F16 (properly set up by the factory) and the F100 (after cheater hole mod) goes into LVC after 11-12s of full throttle. While the F100 (without cheater hole) goes into LVC after just 2-3s, also consuming more energy from the pack.

I have reverse thrust on this jet. U will need to glue the exhaust pipe in place. Otherwise, it will get deformed by the negative pressure when using reverse thrust. It works great stopping your jet, or showing off to your flying buddies. lol

Comment

Thanks, Enzo. This plane still intrigues me in the form you've ended up with. Still a lot of money to get to where yours is. I'm quite disappointed in ThunderboltRC here in Canada. After 2 email enquiries since my last post back in November, I have still not gotten any response from them about getting this plane. I know they can but due to the low interest in it, they will only bring one in if there is an order. Well, there won't be an order from me when there is no customer service. I shouldn't have to work that hard to get them to take my money. I can and have spent it easily elsewhere.

Comment

Thanks, Enzo. This plane still intrigues me in the form you've ended up with. Still a lot of money to get to where yours is. I'm quite disappointed in ThunderboltRC here in Canada. After 2 email enquiries since my last post back in November, I have still not gotten any response from them about getting this plane. I know they can but due to the low interest in it, they will only bring one in if there is an order. Well, there won't be an order from me when there is no customer service. I shouldn't have to work that hard to get them to take my money. I can and have spent it easily elsewhere.
                                        Your welcome, man. Yah, it was not a cost-efficient project. Nor a good value/quality for money jet. But I learned something through the process. How to set up cheater holes, vent, calculate SFA/intake for power units, etc. Hopefully, I could trade off some of the parts during the upcoming swap meetings.

Best,

Comment

• So I have been through some landing gear troubles with the F100 lately. Here is what happened. It's a shame so little effort was put into manufacturing this $550 jet. Seems like I'm the "Monday Plane" magnet.

1. The steering clevis was broken while I was taxing on our runway and on grass. I did not do any harsh landings whatsoever. And when I go back home I found the pushrod was bending to the wrong side. This little twist I highlighted should be pointing downward. Mine was pointing upward. And that causes the clevis and the servo to hold a lot of pressure. As it is a couple of mm away from where it should be. The manufacturer just forced it in place. Not surprisingly, it broke after about 10-12 flights. Had to replace the clevis.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 20-47-04 Flex Innovations Super Sabre 90mm F100D - Page 84 - RC Groups.png
Views:	506
Size:	808.5 KB
ID:	340718

2. The main gear failed. It started to twist left and right. As careful as I could be. I applied thread lock to all the setscrews I could see from outside. However, These two were hidden inside the retract unit. You will have to pull the main retracts out to gain access to them. (You don't have to disassemble the retract casing as I did. You can access them once you pull the retract out from the socket) They lock the main struts in place, together with a couple of other setscrews. There was no thread lock at all. So make sure you don't miss any of them. Coz they will come loose.

Name:	Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 20-47-08 Flex Innovations Super Sabre 90mm F100D - Page 84 - RC Groups.png
Views:	449
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	340719

3. This has something related to the ASSAN AG61 Steering Gyro. So if you are not using one. Disregard the part.
                                          I had trouble getting the Gyro working correctly after I change the wiring diagram a little. Simply put, you want to plug the "Gear in" directly to the receiver. Then plug the sequencer to the "Gear Out" on the AG61. Otherwise, the gyro won't recognize the signal from the sequencer. It will keep steering the nose wheel while it is retracted.

Luckily I found all the problems before the 3rd flight the other day. And the first 2 were pretty good, a sweet flyer, except I lost steering on the 2nd landing. And had to grab it form the other side of our runway.

Comment

Working...
                                          X