X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnnyrabuse View Post

You mean the cheap nose gear that's never in stock ?

Asking for a friend
    Replace Retracts with HK ones.. Straight install.. No issues after that..

Comment

The livery is a bit gawdy but hi viz nonetheless. Growing on me. I like the looks of the plane overall but especially the FMS 2100kv motor fan combo. They do seem to really excel in this area. I've retrofitted a few of my FW edfs with the 2000kv and its a killer setup.

I'd much rather have an 80 or 90mm F9F Panther/ Cougar. Then I can repaint and complete my Blue Angels series. F4, A4, F/A-18. Okay, I'd still need the Bearcat and F11 which I think thwy flew briefly. There no Panther or Cougars to be found in this size.
      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

I like power system. The 2100kv motor and fan is great for ~$86. I have it in the Mig-21 and Mirage and it's great there, but the heaviest is 2850 grams.

This plane is said to weigh close to 3300 grams AUW. That's going to lead to pretty anemic verticals regardless of the good thrust for 6S on that fan.

Sure it's going to high alpha for days with that wing area, but it'll be somewhat lacking if you're on the back side of the power curve.

Comment

Big wing area. Bigger than most in its class. Should have less wing loading which means she'll fly lighter. The 2100pro generates ~ 6#'s of thrust. Should be fine for this plane. Just wish it wasn't sold by Horizon.
          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
            Big wing area. Bigger than most in its class. Should have less wing loading which means she'll fly lighter. The 2100pro generates ~ 6#'s of thrust. Should be fine for this plane. Just wish it wasn't sold by Horizon.
            It's the same price so what does it matter?

Comment

Unlike MRC, HH drops models frequently. Here today gone tomorrow. Plus, because they sell through LHS's, you pay sales tax. In my case, 8.5%

Comment

My issue with Horizon is they can't keep popular spare parts in stock and what they do have for spares, you usually can't get exactly what you need.

An aircraft grounded for lack of parts is a useless aircraft. I don't have the patience to wait 4 months for them to restock something if it isn't there.

Of course you hope to never break something, but retracts on grass particularly take a real beating no matter how delicately you land/takeoff and that seems to be a weakness in some of the HH EDFs. I'd be happy to buy more HH and FMS planes again if they figure the support part out.

Comment

I buy FMS parts (when I can and when they're in stock) from RC Castle. Sometimes, I get charged the tax and sometimes, I luck out and pay no tax.

Comment

Motion RC has set the bar very high for customer service and parts for the brands they carry because Motion is a mid-size agile distributor with a pretty narrow focus. I don't think Motion is trying to take over the world. Horizon Hobby is a big mega distributor and can't seem to give the level of service that Motion does. They have a lot of different irons in the fire... All those gaps leave a nice niche for Motion to really serve the RC airplane community! The only bummer is the brand exclusivity junk....and Motion no longer carries the bulk of FMS stuff...

Horizon is doing a little better with spare parts these days. Scanning through their most popular jets (eflite and FMS), they seem to have pretty good stock of the gear that usually breaks (even some of the older planes like the 70mm A-10). I agree if your Horizon brand/FMS plane is a couple years old....better stock up on parts!

I love that motion still has many parts for the Freewing 80mm F-5, and that model just had it's 6th birthday LOL!

Comment

I need to start shooting videos and garner more interest in my favorite delta, the Mirage 2000.

I love that after a ~4 year break from the hobby, I can still get a new airframe and parts for the plane that I last flew back in ~2016 from MRC and it's even more awesome now with the newer power systems available.

On the other hand the other "high alpha" king, the E-Flite F-16, a simple nose retract pin has been out of stock since I bought the plane in July...

I bought a whole new nose retract just to temporarily solve the F-16 problem with the butter-soft pins. The ultimate solution though is to drill it out and replace it with the 4mm pins that Motion sells for FW. I already tried the FW retract and unfortunately it won't fit.

I miss when MRC and other distributors could carry FMS for sure, used to be my go-to brand for warbirds especially and it seems like they're really catching up now on EDFs.

Comment

The Mirage has to be Freewings best selling jet ever. It takes a lot of sales to justify a V2 after 5 years... It's a nice simple airframe package with simple gear, low servo count,and really good power/weight!

I wish the FMS Rafale could have the same performance...but we know it's going to be putto shame in overall performance by the Mirage 2000. They are not even really in the same class though. the mirage is like a70mm size airframe (like the f-5) with an 80 in it. The Rafale is a 90mm size airframe (exact same size as the freewing Eurofighter) with and 80mm in it. Things are done differently these days. I think the Rafale will still fly great with te big wing area, and it should be fast...but it's going to lack the vertical the Mirage 2000 has since the Rafale weighs 3.3kg RTF!!! It will look amazing though! I hope it has room for HV setup batteries..

Comment

Originally posted by air-jon View Post
                          The Mirage has to be Freewings best selling jet ever. It takes a lot of sales to justify a V2 after 5 years... It's a nice simple airframe package with simple gear, low servo count,and really good power/weight!

I wish the FMS Rafale could have the same performance...but we know it's going to be putto shame in overall performance by the Mirage 2000. They are not even really in the same class though. the mirage is like a70mm size airframe (like the f-5) with an 80 in it. The Rafale is a 90mm size airframe (exact same size as the freewing Eurofighter) with and 80mm in it. Things are done differently these days. I think the Rafale will still fly great with te big wing area, and it should be fast...but it's going to lack the vertical the Mirage 2000 has since the Rafale weighs 3.3kg RTF!!! It will look amazing though! I hope it has room for HV setup batteries..
                          My thinking also.

I have to go 8S on the FW Gripen to get similar performance as the Mirage on 6S...and this is provided there is battery space. Same with the Rafale.

I wish they'd have made a few more aerobats or "hotrods" like the Mirage. I like the direction and don't like the direction that things are heading at the same time. I miss the performance you could get out of 6S in a simple, light, easily transportable package. It doesn't hurt that in my vehicle I can fit a 90mm size and a 70mm size without removing the wings. I can't do that with two 90mm sized air frames.

I asked Alpha the sales question about the Mirage. I don't think that it's been a huge success based on his comments in the past r.e. inability of people to fly deltas without crashing.

Comment

I think if you asked James B from Motion, he would say that the Avanti is their best selling edf. Mirage ? We have alot of edf guys in our club and I dont know anyone who has one.

Comment

I think if you asked James B from Motion, he would say that the Avanti is their best selling edf. Mirage ? We have alot of edf guys in our club and I dont know anyone who has one.
                              It's a real shame because it's bad @ss.

Not because it's fast, but because it can be fast as well as very slow without any risk of a stall. Plus, with a decent fan, it has enough vertical to accelerate from a dead stop straight up out of sight.

Simple, light, transportable and great performance on a single battery.

Comment

I had the V1 Mirage, which I upgraded with an inrunner. It still didn't perform for me from grass, so I took the retracts off and threw it. It worked quite well when someone else threw it for me but a couple months ago, I tried to throw it by myself and basically threw it into the dirt. I didn't fix it. Today at our GeoTex field, a friend maidened his new Tiger Mirage. Even on very low rates, it was twitchy. He managed to get it down in one piece but he's going to have to reduce the rates even more. He had a gyro in it but he didn't activate it as he was trying to trim it first. I think next time out, with lower rates and the gyro on, it'll be much more manageable and enjoyable. I'm actually thinking of getting another one myself. However, the Gripen uses the same powertrain and it's only about a foot longer and a few inches wider. With TV, I think it'll be just as entertaining if not as fast as the Mirage. Maybe I'll get them both. For now, with the estimated price on the Rafale based on the pricing in Europe, I believe Horizon will price this thing out of the market place. If it ends up being close in price to the new Freewing MiG 29, it'll sell a bunch to the FMS die hards and Rafale "gotta haves". Then after that, it could become a heavy, over priced dud. Time will tell. If the final N. America pricing is "reasonable" compared to what else is out there (Gripen, Mirage, last Eurofighter and maybe even the Gripen), it might end up hanging from my crowded ceiling.

Comment

I'm still amazed at how many EDF pilots on here only buy from Horizon and how many have never heard of Motion...

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                    I'm still amazed at how many EDF pilots on here only buy from Horizon and how many have never heard of Motion...
                                    Especially since Motion runs this site...

Comment

Not sure I agree with "runs" but I agree with the principle...

Comment

Could be but Motion is just one of many Freewing Distributors. Worldwide I bet the Mirage has sold very well compared to any other Freewing jet. I bet the Avanti is up there and it deserves to be. The design by Sebart is a great one, and Freewing did well to license the design and oversize the landing gear (and wing) so that a relatively small jet can perform well on grass. The fact that it is the "go to" edf jet for grass fields and good flying characteristics puts it high on the list. it also got the nod of an updated version by freewing "HP Red version" which is a sign it is selling well.

Comment

New video looks great to me....and now available for pre order just order mine ..i like that you only need 15% deposit and not the full amount until it ships ..

80mm Rafale | FMS EDF Jet Aircraft

Got mine from this company

FMS Dassault Rafale 80mm Jet PNP (Tiger Meet) + Reflex Gyro System - Turbines RC

Comment

Working...
                                          X