Leave a comment:

• Captain Moron
    replied
    Thanks Kallend for that I go ahead and get them fitted then

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
    Sorry I am a dumb arse .That means nothing to me .I assume the smaller nozzle has more thrust ???
    Correct. 130% is WAY WAY too big.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Moron
    replied
    Sorry I am a dumb arse .That means nothing to me .I assume the smaller nozzle has more thrust ???

Leave a comment:

• kallend
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
    Someone has 3D printed off some smaller nozzle for my FMS Rafale .I see a lot if people are fitting these onto the 80mm Rafale .Not sure if I I want to mess with the original nozzles on my FMS Rafale .It fly OK to me with the original nozzle on it .Anyone fitted these 3 D nozzles on to there FMS Rafale and if so what difference does fitting smaller nozzles onto the Rafale achieve ???
    The nozzles may be my design. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4827133 (there are others out there too).

The stock nozzles are 130% FSA

My nozzles are 100% FSA

if that means anything to you, you'll know why people are fitting the smaller nozzles.

(They look a lot better too).

Leave a comment:

• Captain Moron
    replied
    Someone has 3D printed off some smaller nozzle for my FMS Rafale .I see a lot if people are fitting these onto the 80mm Rafale .Not sure if I I want to mess with the original nozzles on my FMS Rafale .It fly OK to me with the original nozzle on it .Anyone fitted these 3 D nozzles on to there FMS Rafale and if so what difference does fitting smaller nozzles onto the Rafale achieve ???

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Icarus the 2nd
    replied
    Originally posted by xviper View Post
    What kind of battery combo do you use with this? I'm stock and I have to find the smallest 5000, 6s I can to fit in that tight battery compartment and be able to balance it. I think I had to carve out a little foam just to get the battery further back.
    Hi, I'm using 2x 4S 4500 25C Roaringtop lipos, no foam carving needed, weight is compatible to a single 6S 5000 lipo. All important info about my upgrade, batteries, afterburner unit, nozzles and exhaust cans, ... you can find at the end of this earlier vid of mine.

Leave a comment:

• NewbieBob
    replied
    Thanks Viper. Thats exactly what I was looking for.
    Cheers
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Originally posted by NewbieBob View Post
    So are Geeks nozzles printed at 90% of the size or 100% of the file size. Wondering about the OD of Geeks nozzles inserts at the widest point
    Cheers
    Bob
    Don't you mean at the "narrowest" point? I believe you print them as per the file and not do any re-sizing of the file. If you look at my picture, you'll notice that where the nozzles attach at the front would be the widest point or the original opening. Now notice how the nozzles taper to become narrower than that, presumably making the final outlet 90% of stock widest point. You should not pay too much attention to those "outer" nozzles. Those are for looks and do not enter into the equation of what the actual exhaust outlet diameter is.

Leave a comment:

• NewbieBob
    replied
    So are Geeks nozzles printed at 90% of the size or 100% of the file size. Wondering about the OD of Geeks nozzles inserts at the widest point
    Cheers
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• NewbieBob
    replied
    Thanks Viper. I bought Geeks and sent the stl to my friends for printing.
    They look great
    Thanks again
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Viper I have a guy that just printed up some pilots for my RCAF Twin Otter. He could likely do the nozzles too.
    which file should I send him? I dont know squat about 3d files. Should it be the feathers open or closed etc.
    Cheers
    Bob
    We used this one: https://www.thercgeek.com/product/FM...rmance-Nozzles
    I think the "open/closed" ones are courtesy of "kallend". Both of his are 100% FSA and I believe his replaces the whole stock nozzles. The ones from the Geek go inside the exhaust opening and are 90%, leaving the stock nozzles in place. They fit perfectly into the rear end of the Rafale. They simply just glue in - no fuss, no muss. I had mine done in bright red. One of my flying buddies got it and printed off a few sets. If you get it from the Geek, it's 8 bucks. I don't mind the looks of the stock outer nozzles.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4375.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	363549

Leave a comment:

• NewbieBob
    replied
    Viper I have a guy that just printed up some pilots for my RCAF Twin Otter. He could likely do the nozzles too.
    which file should I send him? I dont know squat about 3d files. Should it be the feathers open or closed etc.
    Cheers
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Well this has got my juices flowing.
    Mine arrived last week and I really like the looks of it.
    I wonder now that its been mentioned, do Geeks nozzles improve the useable thrust performance and I love the afterburners. I am not a speed freak but like scale, stability, and sound. Not into stunts. Just like to see them fly in a well mannered style.
    Do Chris's stuff fill the bill. His flap and elevator Guage is great.
    Cheers
    Bob
    3 of us locals here 3D printed our own nozzles from his file. They make a significant improvement in thrust with them compared to before we put them on. Additionally, another great improvement is using HV LiPo battery. That extra volt is very noticeable. I'd love to try 8s but battery fitment is a concern.

Leave a comment:

• NewbieBob
    replied
    Well this has got my juices flowing.
    Mine arrived last week and I really like the looks of it.
    I wonder now that its been mentioned, do Geeks nozzles improve the useable thrust performance and I love the afterburners. I am not a speed freak but like scale, stability, and sound. Not into stunts. Just like to see them fly in a well mannered style.
    Do Chris's stuff fill the bill. His flap and elevator Guage is great.
    Cheers
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Originally posted by Icarus the 2nd View Post
    No take-off issues thanks to the powerful 8S Wemotec setup.
    What kind of battery combo do you use with this? I'm stock and I have to find the smallest 5000, 6s I can to fit in that tight battery compartment and be able to balance it. I think I had to carve out a little foam just to get the battery further back.

Leave a comment:

• Icarus the 2nd
    replied
    Cold temps, wet grass, dark skies but the Rafale did well and the afterburner looks great :)

No take-off issues thanks to the powerful 8S Wemotec setup.

Enjoy the vid!

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    As noted it may be working and you need to (triple check correct ports and wiring first) adjust servo direction and throws in your radio.

Leave a comment:

• xviper
    replied
    Originally posted by ITVader View Post
    OK, I hate to ask since that would mean someone out there probably had a "doom" flight. I'm in search of the controller box (aka the "magic" box) for the Rafale, pretty sure I got a bum one in my bird. Setup according to the manual with my Spectrum, clean acro, on a wiped receiver. Never got delta mixing on the wings as per the videos, I hit the flap switch and the inboard flaps would go straight up, ailerons down, etc, etc. Just never responded the way I've seen them from a clean setup. The Canard servo linkage popped out on the first cycle (the rod end was less than half way under the set screw) and my battery lead only came about 1/2 inch out from the back of the cockpit. I swear someone on their first shift somewhere in China built this thing. Moved to my Futaba rig and receiver and pretty much the same thing. It was a 9/21 bird. Needless to say FMS's "Great Support" hasn't answered an e-mail and I'm pretty sure my controller is somewhat out of whack. I could move to a 10 channel but jeez those servo wires are a fracking birds nest. So if anyone has an extra "magic box" for the 80mm I'd be interested in buying it just for my own edification!
    You might want to clarify what you mean by "magic" box. Neither Horizon nor FMS makes mention of such a piece. They do, however, mention a "main control board" and a "Reflex flight controller", which are both available for purchase. Horizon sells the main control board and have stock. RC Castle will sell you the Reflex as well as FMS directly. Which one are you talking about?
    As far as the flaps go, that's what they're supposed to do. When you throw the flap switch, the inner flaps go UP and the outer elevons go down. This is to slow the plane down and help stabilize it during landing. In this configuration, the elevons still function to a lesser extent. I can't comment on your canards. Mine have been solid. As for the short ESC lead, I made a short extension.

Edit: I can't remember exactly as my Rafale is hung up for the winter. RE: those flaps. The inner ones may go DOWN and the outer elevons go UP. In either case, they have to work that way. If only the flaps move then you get either a dive or a sudden climb (it's a delta wing after all). The elevons have to go the opposite way to counter the flaps.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X