X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWIW, here's a vid from Thailand: https://youtu.be/f8PUHxLaXno
    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• With each "new" video that shows up, it becomes clear that the overall impression this plane gives is the ridiculously low flight times. Except for the ones that FMS put out at the beginning, where they sliced, diced and spliced together clips to make a video, all the ones I've seen from privateers show flight times ranging from below 2 minutes to barely 2.5 minutes (2' 20" to be more precise). The more videos I see, the more I'm having second thoughts on this one. And now that the release date has been pushed forward another month, I've got more weeks to cancel my order from the LHS.
      Keep those vids coming. It may save me a few hundred bucks.

Comment

• The problem (for me, so I don’t want to generalize) is that the longer a preorder exists, the more time I have to change my mind and purchase a plethora of other products that get released to the market during that time frame. I’d rather RC manufacturers and distributors have a product in stock and ready to ship ASAP upon new product announcements.

Comment

• In general delta's are power hungry. While I absolutely love how my Gripen flies it sucks the trons. I'm sure some, but not all, is due to having so much fun flying it.

Comment

• Yeah, know first hand what you guys mean about delta's being power mongers. I'd be ecstatic with 4 minutes. I'd be real happy with 3.5 min. Borderline ( meh ) happy with 3 min. Not so happy under 3 minutes. We'll see what Bajora and Rich Baker have to say on the matter. Evan, what kind of flight times are you seeing on the Gripen?
            Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39

Comment

• Mine isn't stock so don't go by what I have.

I have a 8S JF/ HET 1738kV set up with 5200's. Before the TVs I was running 4:50. The TVs do rob about 5-10%, plus I'm more on the throttle, so my timer is now 4:20.

Comment

• That's pretty darn good !

Comment

• Remember that 8S carries 33% more watts than a same size 6S... So that converts to 3:15. Though you really can't directly convert since one is going to use throttle differently on 8S than 6S and I have TVs...

But then my 8S 5200 is 880g and there are 6000+ 6S packs that weigh that... Really a apples and oranges comparison.

Comment

• I'm on 4000's and 8S at ~820 grams and can only squeak out ~2:45 at high 3.7's if I take it easy on the throttle.

Granted I'm running the "hot" setup, a 1865kv motor with the 80mm Jetfan. I'm also having a lot of battery voltage sag issues.

Flight time is not the Gripen's forte. Think the Rafale will be similar.

Comment

• In case you haven't seen Rich's latest vid, here it is. https://youtu.be/YRwusPhHu64

2.5 min portal to portal. 4000mah Spektrum batt.

Comment

• What I found interesting about Rich's video is what he did not say 🤔

Comment

• For me anyway, I have not seen enough to form an opinion. A few short snippet vids. Already, some are complaining that it looks slow, has poor vertical and low flight times. I'm not ready to make that conclusion yet. Based on what's available on video, I can see why people would think that.

But what are we to compare this plane to ? In the 80mm world, I have the A4, F4 Eflight, A6, Avanti, Mig-21,T-33, L-39, F5, F-86 None of these are really slow IMO but the two slowest would be the A6 and the A4. I can see where the Rafale may not be a speed demon but will my Arrows Bearcat keep up with her?

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                            What I found interesting about Rich's video is what he did not say 🤔
                            He didn't say a huge number of things: the Gettysburg address, Hamlet's soliloquy, Marc Antony's tribute to Caesar, "Blood, toil, tears and sweat", etc.

Can you be more specific?

Comment

• She's going up against the FW Gripen. In fact, same price. The Gripen is 8" longer for what it's worth. Has full working Canards in pitch and roll where the Rafale is pitch only. No flaps like the Rafale. Has lights but the Rafale has the edge. LG is more or less a wash. With a bigger battery bay, the Gripen can handle 6000mah packs unlike the Rafale.

The Gripen is available as an Arf+ where some, including me have 100 amp esc laying around.So just add Edf/ motor. Could install the FMS 2100 w 12b.

Personal opinion : The Rafale is better looking.

I'm already committed to the Rafale but the Gripen wins out in many areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                . . . . With a bigger battery bay, the Gripen can handle 6000mah packs unlike the Rafale.

I have Gripen with the FMS fan/motor. I wouldn't go to 6000 even though it fits. It's already heavy enough.

Comment

• I formed an opinion, changed it, changed it again, changed it yet again...

D, for me the things that matter are first the Gripen is FreeWIng and the Raf EFlite, the Gripen has TV, the silhouette of the Gripen is just stellar.

While cost matters, it doesn't matter much if I want a plane. Isn't the PNP Raf more expensive than the PNP Gripen?

You really shouldn't worry about canards in pitch only on the Raf, first they aren't that effective on the Gripen though I personally think the roll is nicer with then. Second, you can probably pull them off the mixing board and do pitch and roll.

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                  For me anyway, I have not seen enough to form an opinion. A few short snippet vids. Already, some are complaining that it looks slow, has poor vertical and low flight times. I'm not ready to make that conclusion yet. Based on what's available on video, I can see why people would think that.

But what are we to compare this plane to ? In the 80mm world, I have the A4, F4 Eflight, A6, Avanti, Mig-21,T-33, L-39, F5, F-86 None of these are really slow IMO but the two slowest would be the A6 and the A4. I can see where the Rafale may not be a speed demon but will my Arrows Bearcat keep up with her?

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

He didn't say a huge number of things: the Gettysburg address, Hamlet's soliloquy, Marc Antony's tribute to Caesar, "Blood, toil, tears and sweat", etc.

Can you be more specific?
                                    There were also no quotations from Moby Dick (just trying it out).
                                    Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Moron View Post
                                      What I found interesting about Rich's video is what he did not say 🤔
                                      He is stretched pretty thin right now. The manufacturers/distributors apparently love his lengthy unboxing videos, as everyone is sending him everything right now. So it is getting kind of hard for him to cover everything he is receiving, including the Rafale. And now he is showing an early release of the new E-flite FW190. His YT page has a live stream unboxing video of it scheduled.

Comment

• I find his videos very difficult to listen to and watch. When I watch them I lightly scan them. Really who needs a 45 minute unboxing where he's mostly concerned about how many are logged in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                          I find his videos very difficult to listen to and watch. When I watch them I lightly scan them. Really who needs a 45 minute unboxing where he's mostly concerned about how many are logged in?
                                          100% agree with this. He self-promotes like crazy, and every other sentence starts or ends with "You guys".

Besides, I know how to take stuff out of a box. That part is a total waste of time and attention**.

** attention is a finite and non-recoverable resource. Every minute you spend paying attention to one thing, however useless, is a minute less for everything else in your life.

Comment

Working...
                                          X