Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just can't stand the factory paint scheme so ended up repainting mine. I want my war-birds to represent front line fighters, not some airshow plane. Spent the better part of the afternoon painting panel lines. For base gray I used Tamiya gray surface primer spray can. Panel lines are done with Tamiya acrylic flat black. Still WIP.

I really wish MRC can bring back the original Mirage 2000 without the Tiger Meet.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Flanker271 View Post
      I just can't stand the factory paint scheme so ended up repainting mine. I want my war-birds to represent front line fighters, not some airshow plane. Spent the better part of the afternoon painting panel lines. For base gray I used Tamiya gray surface primer spray can. Panel lines are done with Tamiya acrylic flat black. Still WIP.

I really wish MRC can bring back the original Mirage 2000 without the Tiger Meet.
      Looks nice, makes you wonder who was thinking that more people were going to like that stock ugly yellow scheme over a real front line fighter scheme...

Comment

• Same person that did the Arrows twin 64 F-15!

Comment

• I've all but fallen off the fence on this one. Might be a slim chance I'll reconsider when summer gets here and I get rid of a couple more planes. However, on the subject of the paint scheme, I prefer the bright colored ones. If I had the same, drab, military grey color on all my modern EDFs, I would have a hard time seeing the difference when I walk into the hanger. It would be wall to wall (ceiling to ceiling) grey - pretty boring. Then there's the visibility thing when flying them. If I was in the real thing in a combat mission, trying to hide from the bad guys, that's a different story. I have a few military grey planes at the moment and that's a few too many. I won't buy any more.

Comment

• Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Looks nice, makes you wonder who was thinking that more people were going to like that stock ugly yellow scheme over a real front line fighter scheme...
            Whatever floats your boat. I have enough plain grey planes already.

Airshow schemes are designed to be seen, not designed to be hard to see.

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post

Whatever floats your boat. I have enough plain grey planes already.

Airshow schemes are designed to be seen, not designed to be hard to see.
              Wow, I didn't know air show schemes were meant to be seen, learn something new every day...

So that's why the Blue Angels is a beautiful blue and bright yellow, and the T-Birds a gloss white with bright red/blue..​​​​​​

Comment

• It's physics... Or so I've been told.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  It's physics... Or so I've been told.

Comment

• It's about light reflection and absorption, if you watch YouTube videos of the real jets, you'll notice the colorful ones all fly way better than than the grey ones, so it's for better performance. That's why Ferraris and Ducatis are red.

Comment

It's physics... Or so I've been told.
                      With the latest discoveries by CERN (and others) about the new muon particles changing how we view physics, UP will soon become DOWN. Gravity won't be the same anymore. Ours eyes will no longer capture color as they once did. An invisible cape will attract a bull more than a bright red one. Model airplanes will be made to defy the laws of physics far easier than full size ones due to less influence of muons on a smaller body.
                      Oh, and Canada and the northern USA will become "down under".

Comment

• Okay okay, back on topic, it is too funny though, I was just joking about that bright ugly show scheme, it's not that bad, I actually almost ordered one, then I woke up.

Comment

• I actually ordered one. Then I started to read these forums. I cancelled.

Comment

• I've been challenged to produce an afterburner to fit in the confined space behind the motor, and new (3DP) exhaust nozzles.

So I ordered one today.

What exit diameter for the nozzles would be appropriate? I was thinking 50 - 52 mm or thereabouts.

Comment

Same person that did the Arrows twin 64 F-15!
                              Evan,
                              You liking the Arrows F-15? Interested. Holding out for a new FW edf announcement. But I might be waiting for the cows to come home
                              Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                              Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                              I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• I pre-ordered but like viper, I wasn't liking what I was hearing or seeing. Then I decided WTH, and reordered. She's absolutely gorgeous. Fit and finish the best I've seen. Great scale detail for the price point. Eg rectangular shaped landing lights, sequenced gear doors.

The livery really grew on me over time. Great visibility. Have plenty of gull gray jets to satisfy military allegiance. Low flight time ? Not a show stopper for me. 3 min is okay. Fast ? No. The Gripen will pass it like she's standing still. Added a fiery booty AB from Gooniac. Gonna mod some thrust tubes or nozzles later. The sound is amazing.
                                Nevertheless, FW is long overdue for a new edf. Hoping for a Panther/ Cougar.
                                Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                  I pre-ordered but like viper, I wasn't liking what I was hearing or seeing. Then I decided WTH, and reordered. She's absolutely gorgeous. Fit and finish the best I've seen. Great scale detail for the price point. Eg rectangular shaped landing lights, sequenced gear doors.

The livery really grew on me over time. Great visibility. Have plenty of gull gray jets to satisfy military allegiance. Low flight time ? Not a show stopper for me. 3 min is okay. Fast ? No. The Gripen will pass it like she's standing still. Added a fiery booty AB from Gooniac. Gonna mod some thrust tubes or nozzles later. The sound is amazing.
                                  Nevertheless, FW is long overdue for a new edf. Hoping for a Panther/ Cougar.
                                  I may end up like you but in 2 to 3 months. I've yet to maiden my Gripen - waiting for them to get the runway smoother after the spring thaw. They need to roller it to take all the bounce out (lumps and bumps). If the Gripen turns out to be satisfying and delicious, the Rafale will wait quite a bit longer.

Comment

• My flying of the F-15 is limited to maidening one for a friend. It flew very very well. I'm not a fan of the F-15 in general and don't like the graphics on the Arrows but it flies very well...

Originally posted by dahawk View Post

Evan,
                                    You liking the Arrows F-15? Interested. Holding out for a new FW edf announcement. But I might be waiting for the cows to come home

Comment

• Here are the 3DP nozzles I designed. Exit diameter 52mm.

Measured static thrust 2.7kg at 102 Amps peak current, Gens 5,000mAh pack at 18 degrees C.
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5643.jpg
Views:	745
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	309035

Comment

• Just Maiden my FMS Rafale. Really like this model, not the fasted but fast enough for me. Did not like the colour scheme at first but it has grown on me and at least you can see it OK when flying and this model fly really well. Turn out to be my favourite EDF

Comment

• The stock missiles are not scale.

I have posted a Mica IR for the Rafale on Thingiverse. It is a common wingtip missile (along with the Matra Magic).

MICA IR missile for the wingtip rail of the 1:11 scale FMS Rafale. The nose has some breakaway supports that look like fins, to stabilize it during printing. They are easily removed from the finished part. Print as light as your printer allows, except for the lug which needs to be strong. Nose for EM variant also included. If your printer's build volume allows, there is a version where the nose and mid section are already joined. Subject to change.

I have also posted some nozzles with 100% FSA (as well as looking better than the stock nozzles). They give a modest thrust improvement.

Replacement nozzles for the FMS Rafale, with a reduced exit diameter (52mm, which is 100% FSA), and closer to scale than the stock nozzle. There are two external versions: one has turkeyfeathers open, the other closed. They are both the same internally. Verson 2a has slighly thicker feathers than version 2, needed for some printers. Print with minimal infill for weight savings.

Comment

Working...
                                          X