Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really want to know if anyone has set up independent canards on this yet. If so, can you please let me know how you converted it? I'm thinking of 3d printing some individual arms similar to the "U" shaped bar that is used stock. It really irritates me that FMS would go this far with the model and flake out on function for the sake of simplicity...

Comment

• It looks like it would take some interesting engineering to do it and I would be interested to see what you come up with.

Considering all the recommendations to only use the Gripens' in pitch I can't think many would jump in on urging you to do it... I could be wrong though.

Comment

• I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the full size Rafale and Gripen only use the canards in pitch and not roll so I imagine on the Rafale it wasn’t so much simplicity but more of keeping in line with how the real one works. I run them pitch only on the Gripen and if I had to take a guess, they went dual servos because it was simpler than making a linkage considering where the canards are located.

The Rafale has plenty of authority in the roll axis as is and rolls like a drill at full rates. I’m not sure that the trouble to separate the canards would add anything in this regard due to their small size.

Comment

• Originally posted by chuckywhiskers View Post
          . It really irritates me that FMS would go this far with the model and flake out on function for the sake of simplicity...
          What exact function is it that has been omitted?

Comment

• Didn't the real Rafale make chicken soup in the tailpipe?

Comment

• I don't know if you guys noticed but Tower has some without the reflex on sale for $350.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                I don't know if you guys noticed but Tower has some without the reflex on sale for $350.
                That's a heck of a good deal considering the average price of the 80mm EDF PNP class of jets these days.

Comment

• That's why I'm letting you guy's know. It's a pretty tempting deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    Didn't the real Rafale make chicken soup in the tailpipe?
                    That's not gourmet French cuisine.

Comment

• Oui, mais le canard. C'est deliceux!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                        Oui, mais le canard. C'est deliceux!
                        Canard à l'orange

Comment

• QUACK!

Comment

• While I do appreciate the input, no. The real Rafale uses a fly-by-wire system like every other modern fighter. Canards are definitely independent. The only reason I would want that is for the high alpha stability. I'd set the canards up to try to level the plane with a gyro, while flying with up elevator on the elevons. This would allow the canards to direct airflow over the main wing and become more stable by improving the stall characteristics. If they were not independent, the turns would not be smooth in a high angle of attack. I'm basically trying to design an imitation fly-by-wire system for a flight mode using simple gyros and maybe incorporating a gps flight controller down the line for airspeed mixing and enabling iNAV and FPV. The wings should be able to lift the component weight. Mainly it is just for fun to see if it will work. Whether it is a good idea or not isn't my concern necessarily. Lol it will definitely get some regular flights first because it looks like a fun plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              But it is listed on the Horizon site:

Since you have friends in the FMS factory, can you comment on the rumor that FMS will once again begin to sell their products directly to consumers in N. America in the New Year? Horizon has currently put the nix on this policy.
                              sorry for the late reply, i dont check these forums much. Short answer is no, horizon continue to be the main distributor in the US……BUT…..FMS do have an Amazon store (Fair RC) and to the best of my knowledge they have aircraft on there so maybe have a look there. Don’t ask me how to navigate Amazon I don’t use it because we don’t have it here!

Comment

• 2 weeks ago I was flying my 8S FMS Rafale during a really nice EDF only meeting in Bavaria, Germany.

My gf recorded one of my flights, here it is, uneditted.

It's nice to fly on a hard surface for a change. 145 Flights in total so far, of the best EDFs in my hangar!

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• anyone know how to get a replacement light for the nose gear. for the fms rafale 80mm?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adavidson View Post
                                    anyone know how to get a replacement light for the nose gear. for the fms rafale 80mm?
                                    As best I can tell they are standard 1W LED chips like these:

Comment

• Is the Rafale still coming with the oversized nozzles, or has that issue been fixed?

Comment

• What are most using for battery in this one?
                                        4000?
                                        5000?
                                        5200?
                                        6000?
                                        6250?

I moved the reflex box and Rx to the very front of the battery compartment so I can slide a 5200 pack in as far back as possible but still getting the CG at 120mm

I don't have any 4000 or 5000 6s packs as yet but if that's what is needed I will get them.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                                          Is the Rafale still coming with the oversized nozzles, or has that issue been fixed?
                                          Mine still has the oversized nozzles. Just ordered from Tower (the one with Reflex box). I printed RC Geek's nozzles and will install them.

Comment

Working...
                                          X