Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry if I came across in any bad way... Not meaning too. I agree it's odd that there aren't more people posting here or on RCG about this plane, it's a great little plane.

The only people I know that have this, two at our field have them box stock. One I know has a gyro. Both have given feedback that it's a bit odd flying to them. Not sure if it's the extra speed, full house servos or what but mine, as I've said, is super smooth. I don't have a gyro in mine. It'll be interesting to get your feedback comparing stock to modified.

Comment

Evan D - I am thinking of buying the 64mm F16, like the fact it has Rudder for a change! However, not keen on the two servo set up as stock but don't really want to modify a new model! I am fairly new to EDF's and I'm a little confused with which Gyro type to use with the stock aileron/elevator set up? Presumably a Delta gyro such as the Radiolink Byme D? Any advice anyone can give this noobie would be much appreciated!

Comment

Some gyros call it delta some call it elevons. You are on the right track.

That has a couple of red flags. One is no yaw (rudder and steering) gyro output. Another is the labeling of 6V. Not sure what that means.

There are a lot of cheap gyros out there plus a lot of receivers with built in gyros. Most have delta settings plus Yaw goes through the gyro.

Comment

I had a question about the reverse function. I'm using a Spektrum DX8 with an AR630 receiver. I have the reverse cable plugged into a free channel as mentioned in the manual below.

Everything works fine initially after powering on but when I press the bind button (I use it for audio alerts like for timer) then it goes into reverse thrust mode and stays in it. The only way to not have reverse thrust anymore is to keep the bind button pressed down. In order to reset this behavior I have to re-bind the transmitter to the receiver. I also made sure to unassign any radio channels from the bind button but I'm still seeing the same behavior. Any idea why this would be happening?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	223.3 KB ID:	360280

Comment

When you go to the monitor screen on your radio what is the channel you have reverse plugged in doing when you push the button? What if you plugged it into ch5 and used your gear switch to reverse?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
              When you go to the monitor screen on your radio what is the channel you have reverse plugged in doing when you push the button? What if you plugged it into ch5 and used your gear switch to reverse?
              Thanks that did it, I explicitly assigned the reversing channel to another switch and I can now use the bind button for other stuff. I didn't bother setting it up before since I'm gonna be doing grass landings but I guess I should have done it anyway.

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  Not much activity here...

Primodus22, is the book cg good or nose heavy as many are?

Sanexup, what did you end up doing with yours?

I did get one and it's modified and ready to maiden. I took a power reading of the stock set up and yanked it out, it pulled 43A and 672.5W. I put in a 60A 6S ESC and a Arrows 6S fan, it pulls 47.5A and 1095.6W. Also cut in a pair of elevator servos so I have separate ailerons and separate tailerons. The 1800 6S packs are 1/16" too tall with the stock battery tray and strap but moving the tray and strap back a little fixed that. Like my other F-16's I have flaperons and tailerons and have flap w/ elevator compensation, have basic tailerons with ailerons and a mix where the rudder is added so all surfaces deflect the same direction with ailerons.

Ended up at 1075g ready with 6S battery and landing gear, 788g without battery. I did have to add 20g of weight in the tail to balance. 450W per pound should make it a rocket ship.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D6DFD472-683D-4E13-B3B0-32FF8C684AD3.jpeg
Views:	1124
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	351892Click image for larger version

Name:	A48B9A04-6B33-46B4-8A8F-B959FDF2C698.jpeg
Views:	1112
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	351893
                  I'd like to do add elevator servos also and had a few questions for you.

1. What kind of servos would I need to get?
                  2. Where can I get those pushrods you are using for the elevator?
                  3. What did you use to add the 20g of weight?

Comment

Any 9g or so servos, you can just use the same servos as the ailerons from the spare parts on motions site if that makes it easier. I used ones from a crashed Arrows Mig29... If you are Y'ing them you need one normal direction and one reverse.

I just cut the stock pushrods.

I had some thin sticky back lead I cut a piece and stuck it on the inside of the tail cone.

Really not a hard mod at all. I have to say also I have two of these and one is stock with linked aileron/ elevator and the other with the extra servos. With a rudder mix the stock set up flies very well. The extra servos gets you tailerons and flaperons, if that's not important I'd stay with the linked servos.

Comment

Help! I can’t get thrust reverse to work properly. I have the reverse lead on its own channel set on a 2 way switch and no matter what position the switch is in at half throttle the motor goes from forward to reverse thrust. If Enabled the switch the motor will run full power. I am using a Spektrum NX10 and a Spektrum receiver. I am out of ideas.

Comment

Sounds like you have your throttle mixed to the channel you are using for reverse. The easiest thing to do is plug it into the channel you would use normally for retracts with no mixing.

Comment

It is in the normal gear channel (5) and I have no mix at all set up. I also updated the AR637TA and cleared the previous aircraft from the receiver.

Comment

I got it. I had channel 5 channel assigned as throttle and I put it back as Gear and it works. Thanks

Comment

Evan D. What throws did you use on the tailerons and flaperons? I was going to start with the stock settings

Comment

I’ll have to measure and get back to you.

Comment

Ok. I have triple rates but fly on mid. Ailerons are 20mm up and down measured inboard near the fuselage. Elevators are 17 up and 14 down. Rudders is 22 left and right measured at the bottom. Full flaps are 10mm with 3mm up elevator. Tailerons are 8mm with full ailerons and I have a rudder mix to make it axial, right ailerons do LEFT rudder 8mm.

Comment

I've gotten a few flights on this now and had a couple of questions.

1. What expo settings are you guys using for low and high rates?

2. The nose gear on mine tracks to the right quite a bit. I can't adjust it from the shaft because it has a flat spot where the grub screw goes on so that's the only position it will go on. I also don't want to just trim it because I have the rudder nice and centered and obviously I want it trimmed for the rudder. The last thing I checked was the nose gear servo horn which is also as centered as it can be. Any other ways to adjust it or will I just have to bend the shaft?

Comment

Choices. Easiest is trim (use subtrim) to get it to steer straight and then adjust the clevis on the rudder to center it.

Better is put steering on a separate channel so you can have separate centering throws and expo.

Comment

I’m surprised by how little activity this thread gets for this little gem. I followed Evan D’s upgrade approach to upgrading it to a 6S. I’m using a Hobbywing 100A ESC with an X-Fly 64mm from the Arrows F-15. I also put a RC-Castle center burner in it and it’s a rocket ship!

I’m making some 3D printed upgrades and will post as they come along. I’ve already designed an intake protector and ventral strakes for grass landings but am considering putting small replaceable wheels on the strakes and the bottom of the intake for landing on a paved surface after a hand launch without the kit supplied gear.

I keep aiming for the grass next to the runway but somehow keep missing the grass and end up on the runway. Funny, because I seem to hit the grass a lot when I’m intend to land on the runway with my planes with landing gear.

Comment

Too funny Vic!

Comment

Working...
                                          X