Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone have any issues with the 5A UBEC that comes with the 8S Yak with overheating and cutting out? I just had that happen and I crashed my model as it lost all power in mid air. I think this plane needs more than a 5A UBEC considering all the lights, landing gear door servos etc. After recovering the plane I found the UBEC had the heat shrink plastic around it melted and the power lead from the UBEC had melted insulation around it which caused it to short out and break - picture attached. I bought an ARF to rebuild this model as it is one of my favorites. I'll use an 18A UBEC which has two power leads to increase current capacity. Any other thoughts on this?

Comment

I've never had any issues with mine, but I agree that having all the bells and whistles on this bird could require a bigger one. If even one servo door hangs up and draws power continuously, it could cause an issue.
      Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        I've never had any issues with mine, but I agree that having all the bells and whistles on this bird could require a bigger one. If even one servo door hangs up and draws power continuously, it could cause an issue.
        I just don't understand why a reputable company like MotionRC would put such cheap BEC's into these planes? And additionally, they install a 5A BEC into 8s setups and 8A BEC into 6s setup on the same exactly plane - does this make any sense? On the Yak just the landing lights alone draw 2A of current at 5V (3x3W)

Comment

A few people have noted this on the F-22 and F-4 threads. Could be in the F-15 and F-16 threads too but I don't spend time on those.

Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
          Did anyone have any issues with the 5A UBEC that comes with the 8S Yak with overheating and cutting out? I just had that happen and I crashed my model as it lost all power in mid air. I think this plane needs more than a 5A UBEC considering all the lights, landing gear door servos etc. After recovering the plane I found the UBEC had the heat shrink plastic around it melted and the power lead from the UBEC had melted insulation around it which caused it to short out and break - picture attached. I bought an ARF to rebuild this model as it is one of my favorites. I'll use an 18A UBEC which has two power leads to increase current capacity. Any other thoughts on this?

Comment

Has anyone had issues with the flaps on this plane? This is my third one and they all have the same strange issues with flaps - after landing the flaps sometimes don't want to retract back, randomly. You have to cycle the flap switch several times for them to come back. There are never issues with deploying flaps while in the air of retracting after takeoff. This makes no sense unless my bumpy grass runway cases this after landing...

Comment

Nope, no problem with mine, strange thing happening on yours that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                Nope, no problem with mine, strange thing happening on yours that's for sure.
                Yes very weird, and this is the third Yak I am having this same issue with flaps. I thought it was maybe because of rougher landings but I had several the other day day that were super soft and gentle and still the flaps did not want to retract back.

Comment

I see that very issue too

Comment

Originally posted by PaulZ View Post
                    Has anyone had issues with the flaps on this plane? This is my third one and they all have the same strange issues with flaps - after landing the flaps sometimes don't want to retract back, randomly. You have to cycle the flap switch several times for them to come back. There are never issues with deploying flaps while in the air of retracting after takeoff. This makes no sense unless my bumpy grass runway cases this after landing...
                    I've had similar issue on the MiG-21. It seems random but will go away if I power cycle both the transmitter and receiver. Still haven't figured it out. Are you flying with Futaba by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker271 View Post

I've had similar issue on the MiG-21. It seems random but will go away if I power cycle both the transmitter and receiver. Still haven't figured it out. Are you flying with Futaba by any chance?
                      No I am using the Spektrum AR7350 receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
                        I see that very issue too
                        Any concerns about this or should I just ignore? It may be something with the design of the flaps that causes them to bind up occasionally. The good news is that it happens after landing and not in the air.

Comment

I have a seperate BEC and battery. That resolved the issue. But i still have not determined the issue with the stock setup.

Comment

Does anyone have the red version without the mixing board and can suggest where I can mount my Aura 8 gyro unit? The wires are so short that I don't see how I can mount any receiver without throwing it back in the back of the aircraft. The Assy manual is sure no help. The wiring on my version is totally different from the gray versions that I have seen. Those look very organized like my Avanti and F-14. This on is just a mess. Pictures please!

Comment

For the Yak 130 I created weapons pylons with the Rocket Launcher B13-L
                              The used Freewing Yak 130 I did not need any weapons pylons, that's why I created them myself. These are also more scale than the originals of Freewing. I also improved the Rocket Launcher B-13L (Scale). Both are intended for second place seen from the fuselage away. As soon as I finish painting, I put the photos online.

Comment

Quick question:

Is the 8s version the only one Motion RC will be selling for now? Is the 6s no longer available?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Pilot.Vrf201 View Post
                                  Quick question:

Is the 8s version the only one Motion RC will be selling for now? Is the 6s no longer available?

Thanks!
                                  You can buy the ARF Plus from MotionRC and put whatever you want into it. RC Castle still sells the 6s inrunner version, however, have you actually seen one in action? I have and if you fly off grass, you need a very, very long runway just to get off the ground. The thing weighs 4 kilos. On a paved runway, the take off run isn't too bad but once it's in the air, it flies like a hippo wallowing in mud. It's very under-powered and you must fly it cautiously and not make any sudden control stick movements. I had the 90mm F-16 with the same power system and it performed only marginally better due to its lighter weight. The stock power system in the F-16 would have been really bad. Both the guy with the Yak 130 and me with my F-16 sold them after only a few flights. Had the 8s been available at the time, we may still have those planes.
                                  The first thing anyone asks me when it comes to these planes in 6s .................. Will it do a loop comfortably? The answer is NO, not without a slight diving run at it.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                    You can buy the ARF Plus from MotionRC and put whatever you t into it. RC Castle still sells th ie 6s inrunner version, however, have you actually seen one in action? I have and if you fly off grass, you need a very, very long runway just to get off the ground. The thing weighs 4 kilos. On a paved runway, the take off run isn't too bad but once it's in the air, it flies like a hippo wallowing in mud. It's very under-powered and you must fly it cautiously and not make any sudden control stick movements. I had the 90mm F-16 with the same power system and it performed only marginally better due to its lighter weight. The stock power system in the F-16 would have been really bad. Both the guy with the Yak 130 and me with my F-16 sold them after only a few flights. Had the 8s been available at the time, we may still have those planes.
                                    The first thing anyone asks me when it comes to these planes in 6s .................. Will it do a loop comfortably? The answer is NO, not without a slight diving run at it.
                                    I don't know what was wrong with yours but mine flies just fine on 6S, takes off in a short distance with no flaps, on pavement anyway isn't a problem, I do rolls and loops with mine from flat and level, maybe you got the early version with the red fan? those were a pig, I have the FW 4068-1680kv in mine and it flies great, yeah I 'm sure 8s better but mine is no pig. I use Gensace 5000 60c lipos and I have used the same lipo but 45c and it flies great. Now don't take me wrong, it is no rocket ship but plenty fast to have fun with...................:Cool::)

Comment

My friend's Yak could not do a loop without a diving run at it. In fact, on his second take off, it barely got of the grass and stalled trying to climb and flew into a tree. Maybe it was the battery he was using or maybe it was the 3500' elevation but it was a pig. After he repaired it, he couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Watching his first flight, I wouldn't exactly say it was plenty fast. I decided not to get one after seeing his.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        My friend's Yak could not do a loop without a diving run at it. In fact, on his second take off, it barely got of the grass and stalled trying to climb and flew into a tree. Maybe it was the battery he was using or maybe it was the 3500' elevation but it was a pig. After he repaired it, he couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Watching his first flight, I wouldn't exactly say it was plenty fast. I decided not to get one after seeing his.
                                        Wow, sounds like it was the one with the red fan and 1700kv motor, I will try to get a video of mine and let you see the difference, hopefully you will see the performance is really good on the inrunner1680kv on 6s.:Cool:

Comment

Quick question for the masses, how is the 8s version on grass?

My field is short grass, but not very flat. :Scared:

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                          X