X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freewing 90mm F16 CG

The manual is not very clear but is the balance point measured from the tip of the wing? I want to make sure before i fly that i have it correct. Upside down or not for balancing?

Comment

From the wing root, where the wing meets the fuselage and gear down. Balanced up side down, although as its a mid wing this is not critical.

Comment

It's real easy to balance, where the wing meets the fuselage at the very leading edge tip, just measure back from there, I have over 100 flights on mine and it has a large CG range, but here is the problem with that. If you go with the stock CG from the manual anywhere in that range you will find that the F-16 will rotate nicely, the problem with the CG back to far is, it likes to float and pitch up on landing, with the CG forward, it doesn't rotate as nicely, kind of jumps off the runway and it will drop the nose more in the turns but flies great nose heavy, not as pitchy and lands so much better, cut your power on final to low throttle and the nose will pitch up, hold a little up elevator at a nose high alpha and use your throttle to adjust your sink rate and she will glide right in to a nice flare. It will take you a few landings to get it right but once you get it you will love the F-16. Here is a picture where I fly mine, comes out about 110mm-112mm, just put your fingers over the wing spar hole where my pencil is pointing, I balance mine upright and gear down, fly it this way until you get used to landing it, if you fly it tail heavy as per the manual, you will find it hard to land. Your fingers will make a small indent in the foam, makes it so easy, set it on the ground reach under it and feel the holes and waalaaa, adjust your battery to your liking on each flight.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
          It's real easy to balance, where the wing meets the fuselage at the very leading edge tip, just measure back from there, I have over 100 flights on mine and it has a large CG range, but here is the problem with that. If you go with the stock CG from the manual anywhere in that range you will find that the F-16 will rotate nicely, the problem with the CG back to far is, it likes to float and pitch up on landing, with the CG forward, it doesn't rotate as nicely, kind of jumps off the runway and it will drop the nose more in the turns but flies great nose heavy, not as pitchy and lands so much better, cut your power on final to low throttle and the nose will pitch up, hold a little up elevator at a nose high alpha and use your throttle to adjust your sink rate and she will glide right in to a nice flare. It will take you a few landings to get it right but once you get it you will love the F-16. Here is a picture where I fly mine, comes out about 110mm-112mm, just put your fingers over the wing spar hole where my pencil is pointing, I balance mine upright and gear down, fly it this way until you get used to landing it, if you fly it tail heavy as per the manual, you will find it hard to land. Your fingers will make a small indent in the foam, makes it so easy, set it on the ground reach under it and feel the holes and waalaaa, adjust your battery to your liking on each flight.
          IDK man, that looks like a REALLY nose heavy cg to me...

You must have an extreme amount of up trim in your elevator position to fly that far forward.

I ended up between 123-126mm... Much further aft.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

IDK man, that looks like a REALLY nose heavy cg to me...

You must have an extreme amount of up trim in your elevator position to fly that far forward.

I ended up between 123-126mm... Much further aft.
            Yeah it's nose heavy as I stated that in my post. Just a couple of clicks of up trim is needed from the neutral point and it lands so much better with nose weight, for me that is, my CG is not for everyone, if you like a neutral CG then do not try mine......:)

Comment

hi to all, i have a f16 falcon , and i would like to switch out the stock 90mm edf. need a little more punch. any ideas? i was thinking about putting a scorpion motor in it.

Comment

this is my f-16 I'm talking about.

Comment

6s? Why Scorpion??

Comment

I've been doing some research on motors. scorpion was up on the top shelf with a few others. gotta start somewhere wright.

Comment

yeah, 1-6s5000mah.

Comment

7 flights on the TB version and I'm finding I like the 115 CG so far. Been pretty fun little bird! First landing was kinda fast as I was tail heavy a bit.

Comment

Great, glad your liking the F-16, great flyer too, been flying the F-16 for three yrs now, I find the sweet spot on CG around 118mm, I put the new FW 4068-1835kv in mine, it is better than my 4068-1680kv on flight times, performance wise just little more thrust.​​​​​​
                          ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by FLYRCJETS View Post
                            7 flights on the TB version and I'm finding I like the 115 CG so far. Been pretty fun little bird! First landing was kinda fast as I was tail heavy a bit.
                            I believe you mean nose heavy if it's landing hot... That forward of a cg would cause that.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha10 View Post

I believe you mean nose heavy if it's landing hot... That forward of a cg would cause that.
                              No tail heavy. You must keep the speed up when so as it goes high alpha when tail heavy

AMA 1527

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
                                Great, glad your liking the F-16, great flyer too, been flying the F-16 for three yrs now, I find the sweet spot on CG around 118mm, I put the new FW 4068-1835kv in mine, it is better than my 4068-1680kv on flight times, performance wise just little more thrust.​​​​​​
                                ​​​​​
                                It's pretty nice, going to a 7 cell 70C TP lipo setup as I have access to tons of those lipos from UAV missions.

Comment

I have a 90MM Freewing F16 for sale 4 flights Never crashed

Wwing has rash from sharp turn after landing, spare tail.

350 +100 for shipping. If interested PM me.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Freewing F-16 performs best on 8S full throttle the whole time..... no bad characteristics … the jets geometry and this wings demand more airflow for be true performance!

Some of my Vipers... :)

Comment

Originally posted by Scale Master View Post
                                      Freewing F-16 performs best on 8S full throttle the whole time..... no bad characteristics … the jets geometry and this wings demand more airflow for be true performance!

Some of my Vipers... :)
                                      There are 6s set ups that work really well too. 8s does work well but is not the only way to do it.
                                      Check me out on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/user/gooniac33
                                      I am an RC addict and innovator that loves to share my knowledge with those that need help. Ask me anything via PM if you need help! Check out my Website here https://www.gooniac33.me/

Comment

Here are some pics of TWO Freewing Turbine Conversion T-birds I'm building
                                        First set of pics show a 2.5" pipe
                                        2 Tanks (24oz + 11oz internal taxi/smoke tank)
                                        UAT = 2oz
                                        JP 55mm Wheels and brakes.
                                        All for a k-45 turbine (my calculation show the jet will easily have 5-6 min flight time at mostly full power (Total fuel on board = 39oz)

Comment

• Custom 300 gallon centerline tank fitted

Comment

Working...
                                          X