Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are the pics of the mods. The 70mm power system is https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...-w-2849-2850kv with a 60amp esc.
    I also wacked off about a half inch off the exhaust nozzles to lower the restriction of airflow being pushed out from the larger 70mm fan.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hey Phantom......so how did it fly with all of the mods? - TG

Comment

Originally posted by amgsky1 View Post
        Hey Phantom......so how did it fly with all of the mods? - TG
        I have, can't say as I've picked up anymore speed, but there is definitely more static thrust to get out of slow maneuvers and slightly shorter take off rolls. The rudders are very nice to have instead of just yanking and banking. The flap mod I did from day one right out of the box, I had about 30 or so flights on the original power system with the flap mod. Only thing I had to do for the extra weight of the upgraded power system and the rudder servos was to push my 4s 2200mah battery about an inch and a half through the nose wheel area, for the correct CG. All in all I am very happy with her now. Gonna try some bigger mah batteries soon.

Comment

Has anyone changed the paint scheme or livery? I wanted to order a new livery from Callie's Graphics but was not sure what scale this plane was? anyone know? Also has anyone printed or know of an ordnance set that will fit it? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wallacems View Post
            Has anyone changed the paint scheme or livery? I wanted to order a new livery from Callie's Graphics but was not sure what scale this plane was? anyone know? Also has anyone printed or know of an ordnance set that will fit it? Thanks.
            Okay nevermind on the scale. Worked it out with Callie graphics. Just wondering about an ordnance set. Has anyone printed any? Does anyone care?

Comment

Okay nevermind on the scale. Worked it out with Callie graphics. Just wondering about an ordnance set. Has anyone printed any? Does anyone care?
              Not sure with the fixed landing gear you'd want to hang more drag on her by adding weapon stores, with the exception of sidewinders or aim 120's on the wing tip rails.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom View Post

Not sure with the fixed landing gear you'd want to hang more drag on her by adding weapon stores, with the exception of sidewinders or aim 120's on the wing tip rails.
                Yeah you may have a point there about extra drag, even with the high performance version I have. Do you think I can purchase some missiles that fit another aircraft and make them fit this one, or is there a place I can purchase specifically for the wingtip missiles you might know about?

Comment

I don't, most folks on here 3D design and print there own. They are always willing to share the files for those who have their own printers though. Most printed armament on here are for the larger edfs, 80mm and up.

On a brighter note, I solves my power desires on this bird. After I switched the motor and fan for a larger 70mm, with an 60amp esc, I wasn't getting my desired thrust on 4s 2200mah 55c. Today however I dropped a 6s 2200mah 40c with 80c burst capability and damn! Unlimited vertical! The down side of course is about 2:15 worth of flight time with the battery landing at 30%.

I dented the nose a little after hot swapping the third battery on back to back flights. Rookie mistake, got to remember to let the esc cool down between flights. It had a thermal shut down on a low altitude high G turn. It was just so damn fun to finally see this jet come alive haha.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I made a few mods so it is easier on the eyes. I take all but the sidewinders off prior to flying.

Comment

I made a few mods so it is easier on the eyes. I take all but the sidewinders off prior to flying.
                      wallacems I really like what you've done with your ordnance! May I ask what 3DP files you ended up using? Did you print from Thingiverse, or resize one of the other sets here, or design your own, or?

From a distance your bird looks like a 90mm, well done. Yours must make a nice wall display when it's not in the skies.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Is there a website for the F/A 18E 64mm ESC setup/programming manual? Am unable to locate it on the Freewing site.
                        After setting up the model on my iX12 everything was normal then I rebound it to my DX9 and the movement and throws were were good except the throttle runs up a bit then quits and appears to reset the ESC...
                        I tried a standard throttle calibration but it didn't work and think I need to reset the ESC, but the operator manual is silent on the ESC...??
                        TIA!
                        Jim

Comment

I've actually been trying to assess the scale size of this model. What scale size graphics did you order from callie graphics for this bird? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post

wallacems I really like what you've done with your ordnance! May I ask what 3DP files you ended up using? Did you print from Thingiverse, or resize one of the other sets here, or design your own, or?

From a distance your bird looks like a 90mm, well done. Yours must make a nice wall display when it's not in the skies.
                            I used the missile and fuel tank set from the E-FLITE F-15 (painted them) and then used the mounts from an FMS 800MM P-51's fuel drop tanks. It works out great. The bottom tank is a 64mm F-16 wing drop tank that I used an FMS P-51 fuel drop tanks mounts to hang it underneath. I fly in a lot of wind here on the regular of 15 MPH or more, so I am seriously considering adding the rudder modification. The sidewinders were printed for me but I am not sure what file he used. I had to drill and run a rod through the missile into the wing to ensure it does not come off, but it flies more stable with the sidewinders on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jiimmbbo View Post
                              Is there a website for the F/A 18E 64mm ESC setup/programming manual? Am unable to locate it on the Freewing site.
                              After setting up the model on my iX12 everything was normal then I rebound it to my DX9 and the movement and throws were were good except the throttle runs up a bit then quits and appears to reset the ESC...
                              I tried a standard throttle calibration but it didn't work and think I need to reset the ESC, but the operator manual is silent on the ESC...??
                              TIA!
                              Jim
                              I believe she gave it to me at a 1/18 scale but not too sure on that, but she should have record of a set of silver eagles livery scaled down for a freewing F-18 sold to me somewhere. I had to trim the vertical stab stickers some, so it was not quite small enough and the exact scale of the plane, but still turned out fine.

Comment

Jim, if you had it okay with one radio and not working with another check the radio not the ESC. Do you have a throttle kill setting that is interfering? Look at the monitor screen and see what your throttle channel is outputting.

Comment

So did they change anything now since 2017 problems with this so called high performance one because I just bought one then read this thread

Comment

Originally posted by scooter genie View Post
                                    This is an excellent flying plane ! My original one was the 4s version with a 5 blade fan and 3500kv motor. I flew it for 3 years and had a blast ! Always hand launched it and belly landed. She was getting tired so I ordered a new one. Just received it yesterday, and to my surprise it had a 12 blade fan with 3300kv motor. I plan to use the landing gear on this one.
                                    I have just finished building mine, and am planning on test flying it with the u/c prior to attempting to hand launch it. There does not seem anywhere obvious to hold it. Please could you go through the procedure you use?. Also, I have put the cg at 60mm to err on the safe side. In your experience what is the optimum cg? Many thx and stay safe.

Comment

In this stock form can this F-18 be hand launched on the 4S power system. I already hand launch E-Flight's F-16 and F-15.

Comment

Originally posted by pdansalvish View Post
                                        In this stock form can this F-18 be hand launched on the 4S power system. I already hand launch E-Flight's F-16 and F-15.
                                        Easily, no doubt.

Comment

Cool, might have to add it to my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                                          X