X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
    I forgot I wrote all that... it's good info :) I'd qualify my earlier statement though, that I was talking about the A-4 having the tallest nose wheel of the 80mm *scale* jets. The 80mm Avanti doesn't count in that comparison... As a fantasy jet, the Avanti was purposefully sized for grass operations and we weren't as constrained by "scale fidelity" since with the Avanti there is none.

Another note about grass, as this comes up in every new product thread... "grass" is a wide term. We design aircraft for EDF size, which determines the aircraft's size. From there, we're limited on wheel size, simply as a matter of overall proportions and aesthetics. It can only get so big before it looks funny. Having 3"-4" tall wheels on this A-4 or another 80mm sized scale jet would soak up a wider range of what each of us consider "grass", yes, but aesthetically it would look ridiculous. We always try to find a reasonable balance between aesthetics and performance. My scale race cars can't run on grass as well as my dune buggy. Fact of life.

T.J., welcome to Hobby Squawk! I've flown our A-4 many times off of short grass, about an inch tall. We've also flown it off of grass/dirt mix, although like any model aircraft, watch out for gopher holes, they can be killers! In China we fly wherever we can, to evaluate a range of surfaces. Most are surfaces we'd never expect to see in a proper Stateside model airfield suitable for EDFs in this scale. But we try it anyway until things break.

Taking off with the A-4 is similar to the F-86. With flaps the rollout is shortened somewhat. I apply full power immediately from idle to overcome the initial rolling resistance and at all times am watching for bounces caused by bumps in the grass. If the model bounces up too steeply, too soon, I'm ready to push the elevator forward. After 3-4 seconds from idle, however, I'm in the air. After the flight, part of surviving grass ops with 80mm jets is based on keeping landing speeds low and approaches flat. I don't like carrier landing the A-4 too steeply because, although it looks cool, the nose strut will invariably see higher strain. Like death and taxes, we can't escape physics. :)

Thanks for your support!

​​​
    Always good to hear from you on the forum Alpha. Thanks for your input.

Comment

• Grass field operation. It illustrates just how far we've come in the hobby as it is the ultimate non-scale maneuver for a jet. While it may now be possible, it's not the ideal, and it comes with risks. It is what it is!

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
        This Skyhawk is locked,loaded & ready to Rumble.. Hoorah..:)
        SPECTACULAR!!!!
        Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
          Grass field operation. It illustrates just how far we've come in the hobby as it is the ultimate non-scale maneuver for a jet. While it may now be possible, it's not the ideal, and it comes with risks. It is what it is!
          Well you might want to tell the Jaguar operators

and these guys too...because I don't think they got the memo

However, most do not operate from rough fields. Others can though. Including the C-17. In our model club's case, we don't have a choice right now. It's grass or nothing for us.
          I am thankful that Motion is trying to help us grass guys with these new designs.

Hope to upload a successful flight of the Skyhawk off our grass field as soon as possible.
          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Thanks for the compliments guys.. Nothing like a lick of paint to liven up a model..:)..
            Regarding Grass ops Trailing links all round is a great start .. Keep it up with those Alpha..:Cool:.. I have found for my Grass field I have to change to Trailing links for my planes & that usually solves the issue.. Fortunately Freewing lately has many affordable options for those if needed for mods .. I've done that on my Stinger90,Venom,F-86, etc .. It certainly transformed them to better Grass handling capabilities than stock ..May not be Scale but certainly I'd rather have my planes in the air than Hangar Queens..

Comment

• The red paint scheme looks awesome man, and those decals bring it to life. Can't wait to hear about the flights.

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

Very nice.. Is there a light on the nose gear strut? Best wishes for a successful maiden. I get mine Tuesday.
                Thanks..Yes.. It's from the F-16 ..They are super bright..

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post

Thanks..Yes.. It's from the F-16 ..They are super bright..
                  Nice touch. I know the real ones have a light on the right main wheel door but without gear doors you got the next best thing going.

Comment

• Another simple mod was addition of F/g mesh in case of those pesky FOD..:)

Comment

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                      Grass field operation. It illustrates just how far we've come in the hobby as it is the ultimate non-scale maneuver for a jet. While it may now be possible, it's not the ideal, and it comes with risks. It is what it is!
                      From what I have seen on Hobby Squawk there seems to be a lot of people that fly off grass weather it be at their nearby club or field. So every time a new Airplane is announced the same old question comes up "Can it handle grass?".
                      The airplane designers can only do so much with a model to handle grass and keep it scale. Rather than complaining about an airplane that cant handle grass the complaint should be directed to the poor runway conditions and what can be done to improve the runway. I can certainly understand that putting in a paved runway would be a bit costly. So there has to be more than one way to skin a cat right?
                      So in my brief search for an alternative solution I found that many clubs and private individuals have been turning to Geotextile with great success. So I urge all that fly off grass fields to talk to your club about installing a Geotex runway. Don't let a lousy grass runway limit what airplanes you can own!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evoman View Post
                        So I urge all that fly off grass fields to talk to your club about installing a Geotex runway.
                        Probably most have.;)
                        In the case of my club it was considered but shot down because of the initial expense and then possible repair costs due to 4 wheeler vandalism.:P
                        I'm guessing you haven't seen this vandalism concern raised numerous times on this forum.:Straight-Face:
                        So..........How do club members URGE the vandals to stop creating crop circles on our runways.:Angry:
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

From what I have seen on Hobby Squawk there seems to be a lot of people that fly off grass weather it be at their nearby club or field. So every time a new Airplane is announced the same old question comes up "Can it handle grass?".
                          The airplane designers can only do so much with a model to handle grass and keep it scale. Rather than complaining about an airplane that cant handle grass the complaint should be directed to the poor runway conditions and what can be done to improve the runway. I can certainly understand that putting in a paved runway would be a bit costly. So there has to be more than one way to skin a cat right?
                          So in my brief search for an alternative solution I found that many clubs and private individuals have been turning to Geotextile with great success. So I urge all that fly off grass fields to talk to your club about installing a Geotex runway. Don't let a lousy grass runway limit what airplanes you can own!

Now that Freewing has decided in their infinite wisdom to remember the Forgotten customers ( Grass flyers ) after all these years by installing Trailing links to aid Grass ops Flat surface flyers are complaining it's not Scale..Can't Win..

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Probably most have.;)
                            In the case of my club it was considered but shot down because of the initial expense and then possible repair costs due to 4 wheeler vandalism.:P
                            I'm guessing you haven't seen this vandalism concern raised numerous times on this forum.:Straight-Face:
                            So..........How do club members URGE the vandals to stop creating crop circles on our runways.:Angry:
                            Easy, setup a simple fence (barbwire) around the area . Or better yet setup spike strips with clear warning signs. :)

Comment

• Got the maiden in today along with 3 additional flights and it balanced and flew just fine with the battery all the way forward as recommended in the update. Be sure to move the Battery Strap forward to ensure it is adequately secured. Flights were from a paved runway and if I am able to get out again in the next day or so I will use the grass runway parallel to the asphalt. Keep in mind this is a well maintained grass runway with heavy duty rolling performed on it a couple of times a year. Results others will experience may not be similar as each grass runway will vary due to grass type and maintenance performed.
                              http://foxvalleyaero.com/ I'm a bit spoiled :Smug:

Comment

• Hey Wayne.. Congrats..Nice field you fly from.. Best of both worlds.. Lucky you..Out of interest.. Did you have to trim any control surfaces on your maiden???

Comment

• The clubs I know that use Geotex are constantly replacing.We get extreme heat. Sigh. We simply cut low and roll.

Was not expecting my A4 until Tuesday but she arrived today. What a nice surprise. Almost done with assembly. The manual and Captain Mike's vid are straightforward and helpful. Beautiful airplane. Hope she fly's as good as she looks!
                                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne@MotionRC View Post
                                    Got the maiden in today along with 3 additional flights and it balanced and flew just fine with the battery all the way forward as recommended in the update. Be sure to move the Battery Strap forward to ensure it is adequately secured. Flights were from a paved runway and if I am able to get out again in the next day or so I will use the grass runway parallel to the asphalt. Keep in mind this is a well maintained grass runway with heavy duty rolling performed on it a couple of times a year. Results others will experience may not be similar as each grass runway will vary due to grass type and maintenance performed.
                                    http://foxvalleyaero.com/ I'm a bit spoiled :Smug:
                                    Wayne, how were the landings?

Comment

• Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                      The clubs I know that use Geotex are constantly replacing.We get extreme heat. Sigh. We simply cut low and roll.

Was not expecting my A4 until Tuesday but she arrived today. What a nice surprise. Almost done with assembly. The manual and Captain Mike's vid are straightforward and helpful. Beautiful airplane. Hope she fly's as good as she looks!
                                      UPS or Fedex?

Comment

Easy, setup a simple fence (barbwire) around the area . Or better yet setup spike strips with clear warning signs. :)
                                        REALLY.......we own 125 acres and pay town and school taxes and abide with local ordinances.
                                        Get off your simulator and fly in the real world :Ligthbulb:
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post

UPS or Fedex?
                                          UPS. I'm pinching myself cause I was not one of the first to order. Like the A-10, she goes together easy. And again, very nice foam.
                                          Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                          Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                          I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Working...
                                          X