Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got mine put together, no shipping damage, everything fit perfect and the finish is really nice. I've started physically checking every solder connection and all were solid but the motor wasn't plugged into the ESC, all three wires completely loose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170905_213847425_iOS.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	95744 ​​​​​​

I noticed that the flaps were about 4mm off at full position, I was able to make them match by moving the port side to the middle hole on the control horn.

Name:	20170905_235933242_iOS.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	95742

With that really long nose strut I decided to put a wire tie around the front end of the retract for a little extra strength, it also holds the wires in place.

Name:	20170905_224750522_iOS.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	95743
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Well, I guess I was in deep REM sleep :Sleeping:, as all I got is a sticker on my door that they'll try delivery again tomorrow. :Angry::Crying2:

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
        Got mine put together, no shipping damage, everything fit perfect and the finish is really nice. I've started physically checking every solder connection and all were solid but the motor wasn't plugged into the ESC, all three wires completely loose.

I noticed that the flaps were about 4mm off at full position, I was able to make them match by moving the port side to the middle hole on the control horn.

With that really long nose strut I decided to put a wire tie around the front end of the retract for a little extra strength, it also holds the wires in place.

Good find... gonna go over mine really well...
        I noticed on this model that the mold stars really stick out, maybe me, but it seems like there are a lot more on this plane...
        Maybe being a little anal as you can't see them 5 ft away... But on the bench they stick out like a sore thumb...
        Maybe have to buy another and sand and paint for a Blue Angels show plane, and just fly the crap outta this one...

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post
          I noticed on this model that the mold stars really stick out, maybe me, but it seems like there are a lot more on this plane...

I think it's because the rest of the finish is so smooth.
          TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
            Well, I guess I was in deep REM sleep :Sleeping:, as all I got is a sticker on my door that they'll try delivery again tomorrow. :Angry::Crying2:
            Noooooooo!!!

Comment

I think it's because the rest of the finish is so smooth.
              Maybe I should just take off my glasses...lol...

Comment

• I had these 3 extra parts left over after assembly - what are they for?

Name:	Parts.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	95757
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• The bottom big part is the parachute that goes at the rear bottom of fuse...
                  Not sure about the other 2, haven't got that far yet...

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                    I had these 3 extra parts left over after assembly - what are they for?

Name:	Parts.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	95757

Name:	20170905_215639.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	95760

And both sides of the fuse just below the intakes.

Name:	20170905_215635.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	95761

Comment

Got mine put together, no shipping damage, everything fit perfect and the finish is really nice. I've started physically checking every solder connection and all were solid but the motor wasn't plugged into the ESC, all three wires completely loose.

Nice job TI. During the factory assembly on Freewing jets, I would like see them simply add some clear tape around each motor wire. It's simple, relatively inexpensive, and added assurance that a secure motor to ESC connection is made. With clear tape, it's easy to see if the connectors are seated properly and if so, they have a better chance are staying that way.

Comment

• Guys .. Reglue the back plate of the canopy.. It comes off easily & without that the canopy will not hold.. I made sure by taping it down as well .. Mine came off during one of my taxi runs & canopy fell off ..

Comment

• TI are the servo horns in the right place? I just can't see where having the ball links in different holes would be good. I have always been able to get the throws setup by moving the servo horn a notch or so and adjusting the pushrod length.
                          Anyway, congrats on the new bird man. Mine is still in the big brown truck. I'm like a kid at Christmas here waiting on the UPS man.

It looks like Freewing is using those tapered head screws where a pan head would be better. After replacing stripped screws on many models this past year I just wish they would let me put my own screws in.

HHNF that must have been one eventful taxi test. Sounds like the bird was beat up pretty bad. Sorry to here that.
                          Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                            TI are the servo horns in the right place? I just can't see where having the ball links in different holes would be good. I have always been able to get the throws setup by moving the servo horn a notch or so and adjusting the pushrod length.
                            Anyway, congrats on the new bird man. Mine is still in the big brown truck. I'm like a kid at Christmas here waiting on the UPS man.

It looks like Freewing is using those tapered head screws where a pan head would be better. After replacing stripped screws on many models this past year I just wish they would let me put my own screws in.

HHNF that must have been one eventful taxi test. Sounds like the bird was beat up pretty bad. Sorry to here that.
                            Only looks that way..Only minor scuff on each wing which has been repainted already..The rear fuse has been glued & reinforced..The A4 tips so much easier than any of my other planes due to its narrow stance on the grass field & can tip over on its Tail if not careful..It doesn't take much speed to do so.. I've never experienced a plane that is that sensitive to tipping.. It's only 101/2" wide..I have already installed wing tips on it to reduce scuffing & hopefully tipping over onto its Tail ..

Comment

• I couldn't go to bed without at least putting the tail together... Now off to hobby shop for 30 minute epoxy to put the back half of the fuse on...

Comment

• Originally posted by HellHathNoFury View Post
                                Guys .. Reglue the back plate of the canopy.. It comes off easily & without that the canopy will not hold.. I made sure by taping it down as well .. Mine came off during one of my taxi runs & canopy fell off ..
                                HHNF I'm trying to picture your taxi test misshap. Are you saying it tips due to the tall and narrow gear spacing, and when the wingtip hits it then flipped over on its back? Or did it over-rotate as if the main gear are too close to the CG and rock back on its tail, breaking off the aft fuse? Mines still on the stupid brown truck.

Comment

• I assembled the entire model in a very short time last night - I was very pleased with how it went, this is a very well-designed product IMO. Everything fit well and there were no issues. Besides the manual "forgetting" to mention a few of those small parts that I asked about (thanks for your help Tom and RCJet Dude), which was not a big deal.

I checked the connections between the motor and ESC and they were OK on mine. I relocated the battery strap and I'm going to add that zip-tie for the nose gear like Tom suggested. I used Foam-Tac to attach the tail cone. I've done this on all of my birds and never had a problem.
                                  Now all I need to do is install those pushrods for the controls and hook up the radio.... then.... on to the DECALS. I hope that job doesn't take two days like the A-10 did! :P

Anyone else going to the TORKS E-jet event in Columbus this coming weekend? Tom Patton?
                                  I'll be there Saturday and my plan is to maiden the A-4.
                                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by seaviper View Post
                                    TI are the servo horns in the right place? I just can't see where having the ball links in different holes would be good. I have always been able to get the throws setup by moving the servo horn a notch or so and adjusting the pushrod length.
                                    It's the amount of travel that was off, even with the horns, rods and arms set exactly the same the travel was less on the port side.
                                    TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Your right Marc, goes together well... I am looking back in the manual to see what I missed...lol...
                                      A person could have this bird from box to maiden in 2 hours easy, without decals of course...
                                      Real happy with this plane, you guys are going to love it...
                                      Yes, the wife and I are going to E-Jets Saturday, will see you there. If my decals come in from Callie I will bring the Skyhawk. They went out yesterday so we will see...

Comment

• Can you believe how clean the wire runs are in this bird with the use of the ribbon cables from the wings? There is no "rat's nest" to have to fight. I love it. So neat.

Comment

It's the amount of travel that was off, even with the horns, rods and arms set exactly the same the travel was less on the port side.
                                          TI.....had that happening on a flap servo when I first got my FL SeaFury.
                                          That servo is deficient (not reliable) if it doesn't have the same travel as the others.
                                          Asked Motion to replace it and they did so with no issue.;)
                                          Warbird Charlie
                                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                          X