X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d Printed Part Sets - Freewing 90mm F-22 Raptor

DISCLAIMER: This thread is intended to organize all discussion regarding the 3DPUP ("3D Printed Upgrade Parts") Sets for the Freewing 90mm F-22 Raptor, including other modifications such as custom paint, decals, lighting, and other DIY additions.
    Accordingly, all photos in this thread that I post will show a Customized Model, and do not depict the stock model customers will receive. The point is to showcase the model's cosmetic potential.

If you've created 3DPUPs for the F-22, please feel free to post the .STL files here to share with the community!

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2877.JPG Views:	2 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	161175

Category Links:

Custom 3DPUPs:

Custom Paint:

Custom Canopy:

Custom Decals: Active Squadrons andTransformers

Custom Lighting:

Custom CenterBurner and ReHeatz:

Custom Weapons Bay Modification:

Upgraded Power Systems:

3DPUPs

The Freewing 90mm F-22 Raptor provides many opportunities for personalization. We have created a number of 3DPUP Sets for customers wanting to customize their F-22. All of these 3DPUP Sets are available for free download. For those of you without a 3D printer, some of these 3DPUP sets will be made available as factory printed sets.

1) Cockpit Set:
    Print, paint, and glue these parts into the stock canopy. A simple installation video will be posted here when complete.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2698.JPG Views:	1 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	161179Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2706.JPG Views:	2 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	161178
    2) Pitot Set and Generator Set
    Print, paint, and hot glue these pitots near the nose of the F-22, one per side. The generator is glued onto the belly of the F-22. While this is scale, it does negate the ability to lay the model down on a flat surface, so it isn't a very function-friendly print.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2857.JPG Views:	1 Size:	157.8 KB ID:	161180

3) Intake Cover Set:
    This set is intended as a STATIC DISPLAY ONLY. Print, paint, and stick these in the intakes while your model isn't flying. The file is relieved with the classic F22 logo. An alternative smooth version is available if you want to add the squadron insignia of your livery. See Callie-Graphics.com for options.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2877.JPG Views:	2 Size:	82.8 KB ID:	161181 Click image for larger version

Name:	F-22.Raptor.003.jpg
Views:	3794
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	161222

4) AIM-9 Launcher Set:
    This set is intended as a STATIC DISPLAY ONLY. Comprised of six parts, this Set uses two magnets to attach to the side of the fuselage. An AIM-9X head is also in the works if you want to depict the F-22's recent HOBS capability.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2855.JPG Views:	1 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	161176Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2810.JPG Views:	1 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	161177

6) Outer Main Gear Door Set
    This is a work in progress, and will be a sprung door set with simple lever arm.

7) Canopy Frame Set:
    This is intended as the base for an extensive DIY modification to create an opening canopy function. Completion pending.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2896.JPG Views:	1 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	161182
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Reserved for Tutorial 1: Cockpit 3DPUP Installation

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2642.JPG Views:	2 Size:	162.2 KB ID:	161190Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2676.JPG Views:	1 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	161189

Comment

Reserved for Tutorial 2: Aztec Panel Painting

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2692.JPG Views:	1 Size:	106.2 KB ID:	161187 Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2776.JPG Views:	1 Size:	140.7 KB ID:	161191

Online references (note original owners):

Click image for larger version

Name:	161113-F-BE432-342.JPG
Views:	3504
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	161228Click image for larger version

Name:	F-22.Raptor.014.jpg
Views:	3387
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	161227

Comment

Reserved for Tutorial 3: RAM Shading

The F-22 uses a RAM (Radar Absorbing Material) process to further reduce its radar cross-section (RCS). The RAM process essentially aligns carbonyl iron coated spheres within the paint at specific distances from each other. The result is the paint absorbs radar waves in a similar way to how black surfaces absorbs heat. This is rather simplistic overview but one of the results to our eyes are F-22s that can appear very diverse in color depending on light conditions, viewing angles, and how long its been since the aircraft was last in the shop. The F-22's coating is

To partially mimic the visual behavior of the F-22's characteristic tonal shifts, the stock Freewing F-22 is painted at the factory with a variety of colors. Its darker gray camo areas use at least three tones of various opacity and sheen, some of which are hand applied. The result is a stock surface that subtly fades, lightens, and darkens, depending on viewing angles.

While the stock factory paint is a great start, I decided to bump up the contrast by adding four more tones. I started with the stock colors then alternatively lightened them with 10% white, then darkened them with 2% blue, 2% brown, and 2% Gunship Gray. I lightly dusted areas with an airbrush, using photos as reference. The key is to try to be random, without being too random or overdoing it. Finally, I dusted heavily thinned Gun Metal Silver paint in certain areas especially within the darkened wing camo areas and the leading edges of one of the wings and one of the stabilators, so that the model "glints" at certain angles in the sun. The effect is subtle but convincing, especially when flying during bright days in blue skies.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2711.JPG Views:	1 Size:	131.5 KB ID:	161188 Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2786 - Copy.JPG Views:	1 Size:	224.5 KB ID:	161192

Click image for larger version  Name:	4836247.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.0 KB ID:	161229Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2681.JPG Views:	1 Size:	136.4 KB ID:	161230

Comment

Reserved for tutorial 4

Comment

Tutorial 5: AIM9 Launcher Display Set

This set is intended as a STATIC DISPLAY ONLY. Comprised of six parts, this Set uses two magnets to attach to the side of the fuselage. An AIM-9X head is also in the works if you want to depict the F-22's recent HOBS capability.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2855.JPG Views:	2 Size:	119.8 KB ID:	161218Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC2810.JPG Views:	2 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	161219

What you'll need:
            The six STL files attached below
            4pcs Freewing magnets 26mm x 4mm x 2mm (This is the common magnet used in all Freewing ordnance, pylons, and most battery hatches) or similar
            2pcs Freewing screws M1.75x5mm or similar

Steps:
            1) Print the STL files
            2) Paint and detail the parts as desired
            3) Attach the two door halves with the two screws
            4) Glue the missile parts together with hot glue
            5) Glue the missile to the launcher with hot glue
            6) Glue that assembly to the main assembly with hot glue
            7) Glue the magnets in with hot glue. There are four holes available, but only the upper two are needed.
            8) Mark and score the magnet positions in the fuselage.
            9) Remove the required foam and glue in the magnets. Be sure to double-check the polarity before gluing!

Check your references such as these online photos for color and detailing ideas:

Name:	AIM9-F22-Internal-Bay-Loading-900x600.jpg
Views:	3387
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	161224Click image for larger version

Name:	F-22.Raptor.012.jpg
Views:	3583
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	161225

Comment

Very cool!!! Thanks again for all you do!!! Jerry

Comment

This will be fun to watch folks make the F-22 their own...

My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

looks pretty cool, not my first pic but inspiring. Looking forward to seeing the 8 cell video/review/setup
                  rc flyin addict

Comment

Can't believe it's been ten years since this movie...

This 1/12 scale figure is pretty close to the F-22's scale, and cost $4 at a local shop.

Name:	_DSC2886.JPG
Views:	5762
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	161235

Comment

So intrigued about the custom lighting and centerburner/reheatz. Just bought a centerburner for the build but if this is better, then I guess I'll just need to get another 90mm to put it on LOL

Comment

Iron Man was on again tonight, so I got to see the iconic scene Alpha replicated above again.

Got most of the cockpit parts printed up. Still need to work on print orientation on the seat. Just got my roll of ABS so will try that next.
                        Pat

Comment

Super happy and excited. Looking foward for the 3dpup main gear door. Thanks alpha.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

I was an extra in the film driving a vehicle on the ramp when Tony Stark was walking out of the C-17. I had a great time and spent a few minutes with Robert Downey Jr during one of the breaks. Amazing how quick 10 years passes.

Comment

Originally posted by xplaneguy View Post
                              I was an extra in the film driving a vehicle on the ramp when Tony Stark was walking out of the C-17. I had a great time and spent a few minutes with Robert Downey Jr during one of the breaks. Amazing how quick 10 years passes.
                              I watched the second Transformers movie while on a mission as a C-17 Loadmaster. The mission I was on I had time off and got to check out the Smithsonian in DC, the pyramids in Egypt, and Petra in Jordan. All places from the movie, while on a C-17

Sorry, I know it’s off topic but your post reminded me of it. Best job I ever had

Comment

The FDM printed, painted and detailed instrument panel for the F-22. Printed in ABS. Added the screen details from a couple images found online and sized in PowerPoint then printed on photo glossy paper. Glued them to the back with Foam Tac and added some casting resin to fill in the windows. All in all the detail of the print turned out pretty good.

Name:	IMG_20181113_200535.jpg
Views:	3363
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	161934

Comment

RCJD, Looks great. Love the detail. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post

This 1/12 scale figure is pretty close to the F-22's scale, and cost $4 at a local shop.

this needs to be printed out as a decal

Comment

I think this would be a good idea of thrust vectoring mod.....
                                      Anyone thinks this would work?
                                      Comments welcome.
                                      Thanks in advance

Comment

Hi, any updates on the 3dpup main gear doors?

Comment

Working...
                                        X