Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good times! They look nice and healthy

Comment

• Guess who was buzzing around our town...……..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3426.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	141951Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3427.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	141952Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3428.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	141953Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3441.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	141954Click image for larger version

Views:	190
ID:	141958Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3444.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	141955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3448.JPG
Views:	189
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	141956Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3475.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	141957Click image for larger version

Views:	194
ID:	141959

Gotta love it!!

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• The Collings Foundation B17, B 24 and B 25 were here for a few days, unfortunately, Mon through Wed, which made it difficult for all of us who work to see th...

Here's the vid if you missed it on the Liberator thread...

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• Heck yeah!

Comment

• That was Awesome!
            Still Learning:D

Comment

• Flightline B-17, that would be just too cool!!

Grossman56
              Team Gross!

Comment

• Me and my new toy!! LOLLOLLOL

Name:	IMG_3455.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	142097

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                  Me and my new toy!! LOLLOLLOL

Name:	IMG_3455.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	142097

Grossman56
                  Moving up to those 12"=1' scale birds, eh? Just how many batteries does that one take?

Comment

• Not to get too technical, but the battery requirements are referred to as a "BOATLOAD"..... :)

Comment

• LOLI was just checking to see what size servo I'd have to put in so that my ball turret would rotate!
                      The bomb bay will be the battery bay, now to get Ben to paint some life like crew members:Cool::Cool:

Grossman56
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• 31 years ago that B-17G landed long during our local airshow, lost its brakes,over ran the runway, and rolled over a 100ft embankment. It was badly damaged. Dozens of local mechanics chipped in for free and helped rebuild it. The engine nacelles we’re seriously damaged, particularly #3 along with serious damage to the right inboard wing section. That wing section was trucked to Greater Pitt airport where US Airways rebuilt it. I was a member of Air Heritage back then and also spent some time helping put it back together. Before the crash it flew with its original Cheyenne tail turret which did receive damage in the crash. Our airport manager, Dan Donatella, located factory drawings for an original style emplacement and fabricated one from scratch to make the aircraft look more “original” to the real 909.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	5B27A649-3B10-42D4-AB32-7592040906AE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	11.4 KB ID:	142203

Comment

• I got to land behind that bird one day at KDVT
                          ”....caution wake turbulence ahead, B-17 - Pan Am 315 cleared to land” - was the tower clearance I got.
                          Will never forget it, and nor will my Chinese student who was in shock when he saw it taxi in front of us after landing.

Comment

• I dug up some of the 30 year old pics I have.
                            Just some quick background...
                            At the time I was flying frequently out of KBVI, our local Beaver County Airport located in western PA. Each year I was one of many volunteers who helped raise money to provide a free Airshow to the public. My lifelong mentor, who taught me to fly Rc back in the 70’s, had built a go-cart A-7 for his sons to drive around the greenhouse property they owned. When I returned from the Navy we built an F-18 Hornet, then he also built a Space Shuttle. Each had its own engine. At air shows we would tow them with garden tractors and give kids rides for a buck each, all proceeds going to the Airshow committee. This was so successful at generating necessary revenue, our little fleet was frequently loaded into Air Heritages C-123 Provider and went to many other Airshows to help pay expenses.
                            My mentor, George “Amos” Yeager was a Korean War veteran who worked on F-86’s. He is seated on the tractor in the foreground. I don’t think his mind or hands were ever idle.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B5C4D6E4-B371-486D-9EC6-984D40882E89.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	180.1 KB ID:	142222
                            We were working the 1987 airshow as usual, giving kids rides...
                            This first picture was taken the night before the crash
                            Notice the modifications to the original Cheyenne tail turret that came standard to this airframe.

Click image for larger version  Name:	13DF8321-FB46-4FAD-8FA8-4DDC42DE810E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	142223

Comment

• After the crash, Gus Bachman hoisted her out by crane. Gus was also a pilot and owned Black Rock airport.
                              The airframe was quickly torn down and assessed.

Name:	DD66B53F-B070-4D3E-9DB6-32E02A14601E.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	142226
                              The chin turret stoved the nose in and the tail turret also took a beating.

Name:	08A57ED6-4558-4DC7-8DB7-380FF07330DF.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	142227
                              The most severe damage was to #3 nacelle and right inboard wing.

Name:	B600CEAB-8E66-4F85-B914-7DBEF5D3B2C4.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	142228

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	2BBD5218-B7F0-438A-9724-BA4F6344A86B.jpeg
Views:	313
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	142231Click image for larger version

Name:	7B9B333D-4DCF-4D4D-98DB-A94DE43E7765.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	142232

Comment

• The fuselage was repaired first and put on display during the 1988 airshow. Collection cans were always out to help fund the project.
                                  Notice the new old style tail turret...

Name:	BF7191E5-296A-42AF-A5A0-223F1C6A383B.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	142235Click image for larger version

Name:	EA51AA88-6EBA-42BB-A6B9-1CE37BF2BEB0.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	142236Click image for larger version

Name:	0D4C5D98-6F1C-4E03-B7CF-87507208EE8A.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	142234
                                  I have many more pictures buried away...
                                  These pictures give the scope of what so many local volunteers were faced with and what was required to bring this B-17G back to flyable condition.
                                  Anytime I’m privileged to see her, I only remember what Western Pennsylvania did to bring her back to the sky where she belongs for all to see.

Comment

• Thanks so much for posting all this history about Nine O Nine, very interesting and so glad the people of Western Pennsylvania realized the importance of repairing her :Cool:
                                    TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I’m very grateful to be able to do that and your quite welcome.
                                      At the time of the crash, many of our WWII and Korean War veterans were still alive.
                                      It was indeed inspiring to witness those guys stepping up and volunteering to get that bird in the air again. They were all such a do things kinda gang and just pushed through obstacles without fail. It just had to be done... Only a handful of them survive today that worked on 909 during its time in Beaver County. The majority have passed on. So for all veterans and certainly that crew who helped restore her, my hats off...!
                                      Remember them all and their sacrifices when you see ole’ 909.

:Cool:https://www.collingsfoundation.org/a...ying-fortress/

Comment

• Too cool!
                                        What a great outcome of what could have been the end of her.
                                        Hope she flying for years to come. There's something about seeing a WWII vintage airplane in the air, even more so now as the years tick away. We all realize that at some point they will be gone or at least grounded and the end of an era will have arrived.
                                        Every time I see one in the air, I'm reminded that this is exactly what the boys in WWII saw, heard and felt, not just an old black and white photo.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• I managed to find the old news footage from the crash of 909 in August 1987.
                                          Dan Donatella, the airport manager, was also president of our local Rc club Zima Field, a pilot who owned a Yak-18, and later became a County Commissioner. He was one of the first people I contacted about starting a new Rc field at a County Park two years ago. There’s no substitute for knowing who to ally yourself with...

Pittsburgh news footage spliced together of a B-17 Bomber which overshot the runway and rolled down a wooded embankment at a PA Airshow at the Beaver County ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	117F02B4-D0C4-4C11-9CA7-C43ED17C24F6.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	142371
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X