Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetfool
    replied
    I think I am ready for Christmas morning. I have paints, cleaned off the worktable, rec. ready to install. I finished my cockpit kit, and it is ready to be installed. (Enclosed photo's) Feeling like a kid at Christmas again.
    Being a short time member on this forum, I just want to say I have gained a lot of knowledge from all of your posts and want to thank you all.
    Merry Christmas, Rex

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2663.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	364747Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2662.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	364748Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2662.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	364746
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Thanks Elbee. I should have thought of that. I use sharpen brass tubes on my balsa planes. Duh!
    Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by jetfool View Post
    Elbee, Do you put any barrier between the screws ( tissue,wad of paper) and filler in case you need to remove at a later date? Thinking this thru before I modify. Rex
    Yeppers, I use a brass tube to cut a similar sized 'core' from the shipping box foam, slice it off flush, fill in lf req'd, and prime/paint from there. Great question, btw. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Elbee,

Do you put any barrier between the screws ( tissue,wad of paper) and filler in case you need to remove at a later date? Thinking this thru before I modify. Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Rex, great question. What works for me is filler, sand, primer if I m doing a larger area and for the seams, dings, screw heads, I fill, sand until I like it, then coat with Miniwax Polycrylic Clear. After that dries completely, I sand, prime and paint as usual. A note, I cover the entire airframe with 3-4 coats of Minwax Polycrylic after sanding out the production seams, vent marks, etc. Though I do entire repaints on all my models. Best, Steve

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Elbee,

Thank you for the comments. I have been studying all the pictures on here on how the cockpit/foam surgery will need to take place and have a good idea on how to do it
    Do you spray a clear coat over your filling of seams/screw holes to get a hard surface after priming but before paint touch up? Best Regards. Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    jetfool Lookin' good there, Rex. Remember, you'll need to do some fit surgery. Like your weathering effects. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    The Checker board tail is a Corsair that my Dad took at Oskosh in the early 70s. Thats also my Dad in WW-2

While going thru our pictures I found a card my Dad said they gave out to them on liberty on Samar Island, 1945. Looks like our government thought of everything to keep the men happy. Hope this picture doesn't offend anyone. It was a different time back then. Merry Christmas, Rex

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	364144

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Got a little more done on the cockpit parts today. Tried weathering the seat, backrest and instrument panel. Wanted a subtle appearance and think it came out fairly well.

Davegee, While going thru old photos I found only 2 of the Corsair that were not faded out to post.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Elbee goodness, such a treat to behold such work. Cheers my dear friend.

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Elbee,

Pilot is looking great. I like the look of the pilot when he is looking around for the enemy.
    Did you fill in around the tail feathers to hide the mounting screws and attachment. What materials did you use, spackling?
    While painting my inst. panel today I realized it has the wrong gunsight, so grandson is printing the correct inst. panel with the early gunsight. Not his fault but mine. Rex
    Thanks Rex, Yes, I filled in around all the gaps before priming and painting. Where that isn't always possible, I fill in afterward and touch up with primer and paint. Screw heads, screw holes, etc, I use Sherwin-Williams light weight filler or lacquer putty depending on the size or the gap. Hope that helps, Best, Steve

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Elbee,

Pilot is looking great. I like the look of the pilot when he is looking around for the enemy.
    Did you fill in around the tail feathers to hide the mounting screws and attachment. What materials did you use, spackling?
    While painting my inst. panel today I realized it has the wrong gunsight, so grandson is printing the correct inst. panel with the early gunsight. Not his fault but mine. Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Corsair Crew, just a pilot painting update, so maybe not really new news. Slow going using this method, results are okay I think. In the past I have weathered after painting without all the shading and washes. Kind-o-fun, but slow and with acrylic paints, which seem not all that forgiving. I will work on his goggles and more weathering tomorrow. Like the posed bank turn look. Best, LB

Name:	IMG_1278.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	364016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	364017

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Thank you Elbee for the kind words.

After a quick supper I returned to the secret dudgeon to continue to work on the cockpit for my corsair. After cleaning all the 3-d parts I airbrushed the primary colors, will let these dry overnight to have a dried base to hand brush the details tomorrow, then some weathering. Will have to get my magnifying glasses to see these. Getting old LOL. Enclosed a few pictures. Only 10 more days till I can open up the Corsair. Rex

Name:	IMG_2649 (1).jpg
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	363925Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2649 (1).jpg
Views:	331
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	363927
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Guys,

Today I started work on my cockpit. I have modified the seat to look more like the documentation that I have. will prime then start the paint process. Elbee, I think found a picture of the plane you are modeling
    Rex, you do very nice work, Sir.

Yes, that is VMF-114 Death Dealers CorsaIr 007, Peleliu Palau-1943.
    I really liked the story, the livery, and the fact that it is not one you see much.
    It has been a journey, but well worth the effort.

Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Guys,

Today I started work on my cockpit. I have modified the seat to look more like the documentation that I have. will prime then start the paint process.

Elbee, I think found a picture of the plane you are modeling
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    davegee thanks, Dave, means a lot. Best, Steve

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    Elbee,
    Pilot is looking great. Your skills are fantastic. Keep posting pictures of finishing the pilot as I am gaining a lot of knowledge in yours and others in detailing. Can you say again where you got your pilot?
    Grandson is starting to print the wheel hubs, strut mod and the cowl ring at school. The cockpit he printed is amazing!
    Davegee I will post a few pictures of the F4U-4 that were on Samar Island during war - 1945 in the next few days.

Christmas is coming and that box under the tree is calling my name..... counting down the days Rex
    Thanks, Rex. Will enjoy seeing some pics of the F4U-4s when you get around to it. It seems that after WWII, the -4s survived to be the definitive combat version that survived through Korea with their uprated engines, and ability to drop a large bomb or rocket load as a ground attack aircraft.

Cheers

davegee

Leave a comment:

• davegee
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    Hey Bent-Wing Brethren, I am painting the 3DP Navy pilot and I'm trying the black primer, white highlight and add color washes method. First attempts have been hit and miss. I am trying to be patient with this process, but it is difficult when I do not have any reference to timeline. See pics below.

I have been chatting with jetfool and had sent him a couple pics, but I am having a hard time seeing much difference in the washes vs just painting a solid color and weathering it up after.
    In any event, I will press on to the flesh tones of the arms and face. Can't say that will be finished before Christmas.

I pulled the wings out of the box and I am still amazed at how beautifully detailed this warbird is, so kudos again to Flightline. Best, LB​
    Hi LB: that 3D pilot will be a good compliment to your Corsair build. I know it's difficult coming with proper and best shades, highlights, etc., for the uniform and pilot, but you'll come up with something nice with your artistic skills, I'm sure! Keep up the great work, and have a wonderful Christmas up there in Kansas!

Best,

Davegee

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Model available for download in Stereolithography format. Visit CGTrader and browse more than 1 million 3D models, including 3D print and real-time assets

Yo Rex, thanks for the support. The pilot figure is a 3DP Design by Max Grueter. I purchased several of his designs and all those both scale and print well. I have included a link to cgtrader.

Best to you and grandson, Steve

Leave a comment:

Working...
X