First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jetfool
    replied
    Elbee,
    Thank you. Man, your engine looks real and really fills the inside of the cowl. I will consider contacting them about printing one out after I see what the plane looks like. I'm already buying more things for this than I intended. Would your cowl flaps fit the fuselage without a lot of surgery? Not intending to be functional but like the looks over the closed flaps. Tired of working a year or longer on my 1/5, 1/4 scale birds and always have more $$ in them before they are ready to fly. I like to do details and this plane looks like a great canvas to do Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    PW Mod Resized.zip

jetfool Rex, these are a few photos of the 3DP P&W parts and finished result. Any questions/comments just let me know. I will help where I am able. Best, Steve

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by jetfool View Post
    Hey Elbee, On your P&W conversion did you just remove the OEM motor...Best Regards, Rex
    Hey Rex, the model of the P&W I bought from 3DLabs Prints (3DGang). I do not have any rights to resell or post their designs. These guys design scale models specifically to be 3D printed. I had to scale the print to 77%+/- as I recall and printed it in 3 separate pieces. I cut out the OEM P&W by scoring the plastic and fatigue bending it after cutting each cylinder from another. Sanded the inner flange and 'presto-chango' I had a cowl ring. I designed a backing part to cover the 3/8"-1/2" of foam I removed to make space for the dummy P&W. I will add some pictures in a new post for your consideration. Best, Steve

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Hey Elbee,
    On your P&W conversion did you just remove the OEM motor and replace with your version or is there more work involved? Do you provide the 3-d files for others of this? Day dreaming and listing things I'd like to do to mine when Santa gives the go ahead to open the box. I like your exhausts you did also. Has anyone added the inner features on the main gear doors , I have not seen this in any post or maybe not enough room between wheel and inner door. Went out and bought some weathering supplies today, Think I will try the salt fading feature on my Wildcat prop tonight for practice. Its a 3 - blade scale version. Best Regards, Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

IMO, the stock motor with the 3 blade prop has more than enough power so I'm not sure if you need to upgrade this motor....an aircraft that is underpowered is of no use to me!
    Hugh, Great lookin' livery, Sir. Question: did you or anyone you are aware, mount the FMS 4-Blade Prop and hub assembly on the FL 1600mm Corsair? I bought it way back then, though I was going to modify mine to a F4U-4. Just wondering if there is any noticeable difference. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackcannon View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered already, but is there a good option for a motor upgrade that doesn’t require a bigger ESC and can still swing the stock prop.
    IMO, the stock motor with the 3 blade prop has more than enough power so I'm not sure if you need to upgrade this motor. Takes off on thick grass in a short distance and cruises nicely at 50-60% throttle. Vertical is unlimited and I wouldn't know what to do with more power, unless you're into "hair on fire" speed. With the stock setup and an SMC 6200, while doing lots of vertical and other maneuvers, I still get over 10 minutes of flight time. What more do you want? This Corsair is not like the underpowered 1700mm FMS V1-50 Corsair. And this is coming from a guy who upgraded ALL of his EDF fans from the stock versions, so an aircraft that is underpowered is of no use to me!

Leave a comment:

• Jackcannon
    replied
    Sorry if this has been covered already, but is there a good option for a motor upgrade that doesn’t require a bigger ESC and can still swing the stock prop.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Thinking about ordering the sound system. Does anyone using this can recommend it and the best mounting position. Do I need an extra speaker? Thinking of ordering an extra set of retracts also, are you guys just ordering the mechanics or the complete retracts. Thanks . Rex
    I've got the Mr. RC Sound, Aspire board and 2 transducers. It sounds good. Recommend you also put heat sinks on the transducers, as the P&W Double Wasp selection creates the most heat. I also installed some copper 45 degree water line angles to act as hood scoops to bring cool air directly over the transducers. I've put those in 8 aircraft with the sound system, but you probably don't need them up north, as it gets brutally hot here in the summer and those transducers get so hot after 10 minutes it could melt electric wires, so be careful not to let any wires/battery cables come into contact while flying.

Model Sounds also has a nice system from what I've heard for foam but never tried those. I do have their twin 4" speakers in a FW 190 and the sound is incredible, especially compared to these transducers, but the Corsair may not be large enough to get that system in without some major surgery and they are considerable heavier. They need open holes cut where the speakers are for the sound to get out.

Photos of the system location and the hood scoops:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190317_152718.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	361463Click image for larger version

Name:	20200301_120257.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	361464Click image for larger version

Name:	20200301_120307.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	361465

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Thank you for the info

Leave a comment:

• Evan D
    replied
    I have the older Mr RC Sound in a Spitfire and FW190. Mount the transducer on thin foam for best sound, careful about CG. On mine I have only one transducer and it's just right but a lot of people like the volume from two.

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Thinking about ordering the sound system. Does anyone using this can recommend it and the best mounting position. Do I need an extra speaker? Thinking of ordering an extra set of retracts also, are you guys just ordering the mechanics or the complete retracts. Thanks . Rex

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    My Birdcage arrives tomorrow and I 'm excited as a new virgin waiting to be converted , then my wife informs me I can't open it till X-mas, WHAT! Says its the rules ( our 40th yr of marriage ) Said I had plenty of planes to work on till then (she is correct) So I will gather my paints , weathering supplies, ect and practice weathering my BH Wildcat. This site is great with info and humor and I will begin my Corsair assembly Dec 25. I will have all my 3-D printing done by the High School Robotics Class and be ready to delve into this. Until then Happy Thanksgiving Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Haven't been able to fly for over a month due to crazy windy/rainy weather, including a couple hurricanes, so I've been spending time on other important duties (although what could be more important that RC building/flying ). Finally going out tomorrow with a couple of my regular buddies as the winds are finally at or below 10mph. Now if I can just steal my CO's Apprentice so I can "re-learn" how to fly, I'll be good! Is it "push forward" to go up, or will that result in a lawn dart?
    Up, because you were inverted.

Leave a comment:

• Hugh Wiedman
    replied
    Originally posted by Elbee View Post
    Hugh Wiedman It is good to read your voice again, my friend. "Where fore art thou...me thinks you have volunteered and assisted your fellow Floridians in all things good." Regardless, we have missed your wit, sarcasm, anecdotes and general good vibes, evident only through the lack thereof.. Good to have you back aboard, Brother. Best, LB
    Haven't been able to fly for over a month due to crazy windy/rainy weather, including a couple hurricanes, so I've been spending time on other important duties (although what could be more important that RC building/flying ). Finally going out tomorrow with a couple of my regular buddies as the winds are finally at or below 10mph. Now if I can just steal my CO's Apprentice so I can "re-learn" how to fly, I'll be good! Is it "push forward" to go up, or will that result in a lawn dart?

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Steve, Went through all the picture post this morning.......Rex
    Rex, no bother at all, except I am certainly not the 'go to' paint and weathering guy. I, too, watch all the ewet00b vids and take what I THINK is a correct path. i am a big HD latex paint fan, BTW.

Most recently, davegee has joined the ranks here at "The Squawk" and has experience in scale modeling and judging.

Dave has proven an invaluable source with respect to history, livery, painting and weathering. You might have seen his Corsair among all the pictures in this thread. I trust his word with respect to those topics, bar none.
    That written, I can provide pictures and techniques that I have used, some of which even worked out if that helps.

There's nothing you cannot ask me or anyone for that matter here at Hobby Squawk, that will not receive an answer and even an additional opinion or two. i'd start a list, but I fear I would leave someone out, but you certainly catch my meaning. We are a small group, but mighty.

I look forward to watching your Corsair build and even finishing mine in time for next Spring's flying season.

Best, Steve

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Steve,

Went through all the picture post this morning. Amazing what you have done on yours. I want to do the scale cockpit, robart whls, scale hubs and possibly a manual canopy, open/close, Want to give it a SW Pacific weathered look. I'm new at weathering these foam planes so any advice you can give is appreciated. I take it you start with highlighting the panel lines then go from there?
    I have been on U-Tube looking at the weathering videos and getting a lot of info but any suggestion please advise. I have been using latex paint on my larger models and like the color matches I get from HD. I enjoy reading any suggestions you have to offer.
    Hope you don't mind my questions, if so just say so, don't want to bother you. Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    commented on 's reply
    Click on Notifications at the top right of page. There is drop menu, click Inbox, once there click on the Subject line to open the message. To send, click Compose New, start typing the recipients name and a reference drop menu will appear below, click on the recipient of choice. Write message like an email. hope this helps. Best, Steve

• jetfool
    replied
    Elbee,
    I spent the morning going through all the picture post, great info. I must say your modifications on this model are mind boggling. Like me, it is about the journey not necessary the finish at a certain time. I really like the canopy framing between front and the sliding section. I received your pm and will reply once I find the PM section in this forumn . My Corsair is arriving Friday . Cleaning up shop now Rex

Leave a comment:

• jetfool
    replied
    Elbee,
    Thanks for the information. I will go thru the posts and see if I can find how you did the canopy and flaps, something I would enjoy making. Just downloaded the pursa slicer

Wildman,

Hugh loved your video and really appreciate your info on the set ups and flying, will follow your recommendation's for mine. Will check your past posts too. Seems all the R/c Modelers I have met through the years are willing to help with advice and friendship

Best Regards to both of you, Rex

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    commented on 's reply
    Rex, the canopy slides backward/forward and is servo driven. The cowling flaps open/close and are servo driven, as well. Best, Steve
Working...
X