Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would agree with the statement. I would also add, yet. Get a high wing trainer if you don't have one. If you see yourself flying for years to come, get a high wing trainer with flaps and one you can put floats on to. Make it a plane you'll have for while and holds interest for you. A mustang is a fun plane to fly but they have quirks that can bite a new pilot. Or an experienced pilot. A trainer it is not. Even with simulator hours. It won't take much practice or skills to get there but if you haven't flown much before, consider a different plane to start with. You'll likely crash this one.

Comment

• In general yes you need to register yourself with the FAA and, my understanding is that you do need to enter your airplanes into a data base. You'll also need to take the TRUST test and in September start using a RID module in the plane unless flying at a FRIA.

As far as should you fly a Mustang, you decide, others have given you their opinions.

Comment

• Newbie to HobbySquawk (and any forums for that matter) so I am not sure where to look for or post questions pertaining to trouble shooting my problem so ...
        I just purchased the FlightLine 850mm P-51D last week and flew it once with the Detrum Gavin 8C radio and MSR66A. Flew it straight out of the box with No Dual Rates set up and kept Gyro OFF (to trim it manually). It was (obviously) Very Jerky! I'm trying to set up Dual Rates (without success,)
        The Dual Rates is my concern! I have the Throttle Hold on the SF switch ( the only 2 position switch on the radio).
        I set up Dual Rates (actually Triple Rates) on the SE switch under the Model Parameter>Stick Curve>Ail Curve D0...EPA: +80 EXP: 25, / D1...EPA: +80 EXP:30 / D2...EPA: +80 EXP: 40.
        Under Function Set> 4. AIL D/R: SE (switch), ELE D/R: SE (switch), and RUD D/R: SE (switch...even though the plane doesn't use rudder!)
        When I turn on the 8C radio, the LED panel shows AIL, ELE, RUD ... D0 When I click through the SE Switch choices I get D1 and D2 showing on the LED panel. To the Right of these D0,D1 and D2 readings are: NORM (and below NORM)..0%.
        When I turn on the radio and install the plane's battery however, there is NO difference in the travel throws of the servos (or the linkages at the ailerons or rudders) so D0, D1 and D2 positions on SE don't appear to be reducing the travel of these servos? I don't think the Expo feels any different on the gimbal's stick either!
        Can anyone help with My Dual Rates (actually Triple Rates on the 8C) not working? Also I'd like to apologize in advance for not knowing where or how to post this question properly!

Comment

• Replying to my own Post! LOL!! I finally figured out pairing (programming) the High/Medium/LowRates on the Detrum Gavin 8C radio. The radio was showing the rates I had entered but the plane was not. I saw a youtube video mentioning some radios use negative numbers (verses positive) so I tried that! It worked! Only problem was my Med and Low rates were traveling the wrong direction...but at least now they were responding to the D1 and D2 positions! I had entered -75 for the EPA numbers for elevator and for ailerons and then went back and switched them to +75. Now all is well! Strange they wouldn't work on the plane until I programmed the negative numbers first! I probably just messed up somewhere but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL!

Comment

• I Another Amendment to launching without crashing! No wind this morning so performed the underhand toss with 50% - 60% throttle on my 3s 1600mAh 25C battery. However, ... Another torque rollover to the left and into the hayfield! That brings the score to: Successes: 3 - Failures : 3! Although 3 for 6 is considered an AMAZING batting average, it's terrible for RC planes! Launching into a knee-high hay field has kept everything intact! No dents, scratches, crumple zones or broken props! I consider myself lucky! First two Failures were the "Football Toss" (my preferred method) and today's failure was the dreaded Underhand Toss! (dreaded because I'm an old dog not willing to learn new tricks). I prefer baseball over softball ... Maybe my football toss needs cranked up a few notches... from a 10 yard toss to a 30?
            My second underhand toss today was successful and for the first time, I was able to try my High/Med/Low Rates switch. I set my Medium Rates to half the total surface travel and my Low Rates to 1/4 total surface travel. I believe my plane's Elevator travels (right out of the box), are about 20mm up / 20mm down and the "recommended" Elevator travel (according to my owner's manual) are High:17mm Up / 17 down and Low: 14mm Up / 14 down. My plane must have perfect vision ... 20/20! LOL! That placed my Mid rates at 10mm Up/10 down and Low's at 5mm Up / 5 down. The plane was much easier to control with my Mid Rates and with My Low rates a piece of cake! (The Low's will be perfect for teaching my 10 year old grandson..(pretty hard to over-correct at these settings and yet gives enough control to climb and turn).
            Next Flight! ... Hello Gyro settings! I did not think I'd want to try stabilization until everything was "cleaned up" on the plane's flight characteristic, but having read all 24(?) pages of this FlightLine P51 forum, (and reading how many claimed it saved their "arses" during launch), it's time to try it!

Comment

• Moe1 I am comfortable with who I am and comfortable with my flying skills, enough to admit that i use the auto level gyro on most of my hand launch planes and first flights. I try to setup my planes as close to neutral on the control surfaces as possible and then I use the auto level feature to take off and once at a decent altitude, I turn it off and trim ot out. Works like a charm. Ive had plenty of crazy maiden flights before using gyros, I don't need to continue without a gyro to prove my piloting skills. I fly because good the planes fly once trimmed and balanced, not how well they perform as I'm "figuring it out." Glad.to hear youre having some level of success with it! Congrats! Are you feeding in a touch of right aileron or rudder, if you've installed one, on launch?

Comment

• Originally posted by Moe1 View Post
                I Another Amendment to launching without crashing! No wind this morning so performed the underhand toss with 50% - 60% throttle on my 3s 1600mAh 25C battery. However, ... Another torque rollover to the left and into the hayfield! That brings the score to: Successes: 3 - Failures : 3! Although 3 for 6 is considered an AMAZING batting average, it's terrible for RC planes! Launching into a knee-high hay field has kept everything intact! No dents, scratches, crumple zones or broken props! I consider myself lucky! First two Failures were the "Football Toss" (my preferred method) and today's failure was the dreaded Underhand Toss! (dreaded because I'm an old dog not willing to learn new tricks). I prefer baseball over softball ... Maybe my football toss needs cranked up a few notches... from a 10 yard toss to a 30?
                My second underhand toss today was successful and for the first time, I was able to try my High/Med/Low Rates switch. I set my Medium Rates to half the total surface travel and my Low Rates to 1/4 total surface travel. I believe my plane's Elevator travels (right out of the box), are about 20mm up / 20mm down and the "recommended" Elevator travel (according to my owner's manual) are High:17mm Up / 17 down and Low: 14mm Up / 14 down. My plane must have perfect vision ... 20/20! LOL! That placed my Mid rates at 10mm Up/10 down and Low's at 5mm Up / 5 down. The plane was much easier to control with my Mid Rates and with My Low rates a piece of cake! (The Low's will be perfect for teaching my 10 year old grandson..(pretty hard to over-correct at these settings and yet gives enough control to climb and turn).
                Next Flight! ... Hello Gyro settings! I did not think I'd want to try stabilization until everything was "cleaned up" on the plane's flight characteristic, but having read all 24(?) pages of this FlightLine P51 forum, (and reading how many claimed it saved their "arses" during launch), it's time to try it!
                Hello moe1 i to fly detrum,,(sometimes i wonder why) just worked out that way ( never had alost rception) been watchin u tube for u u will need a proggramming card... i use a detrum blitz 9 channel and sr86a(copy ofspectrum safe etc I CAN CHANGE A.LL SAFE GYRO SETTINGS IN THE Transmitter hope that helps, oh started off with gavin 8c but lost my flak bait b26 lost reception,,, it only has 1 arial wire,,, the blitz 9 has 2

Comment

• Refer to Flightline's P-51D's (850mm) Owners Manual...Page 3, ... Center of Gravity.
                  The correct CG is 80mm (3-5/8") back from where the cowling meets the wing. This is correct, however,...
                  For "Newbie Fliers" (who have only flown High Wing Trainers), ...should the Owners Manual state that LOW WING PLANES are NORMALLY
                  BALANCED UPSIDE DOWN!
                  If Newbies balanced the P51 right-side-up, the battery would have to be installed very far forward and the balance point would feel very unstable, tipping forward toward the nose or backward toward the tail. If balanced upside down, ... the plane balances very solidly with the battery positioned in the location illustrated in the two pictures. Just thought I'd bring this up so someone doesn't wreck their plane on the maiden voyage!
                  The balancing point is arguably the most critical step of achieving a successful flight. Too bad FlightLine doesn't explain the balancing point more clearly!
                  If your plane is pulling severely left at launch, and also doing a nose dive too, maybe you didn't balance the plane up-side-down?

Comment

• Or maybe you launching with too much throttle and getting torque steer.

Comment

• Regarding the FlightLine P-51D's "Nemesis", the FlightLine FW 190 D-9.... Does anybody own both of these warbirds? I'm wondering If they have the same flight characteristics ... too much torque roll at launch (with Full Throttle). Are they basically about the same? I have owned the P51 for two weeks (only 7 launches, four successfully), but after a few nose dives at launch and straightening out the wing with a thin balsa wood strip wedge and glue, wing rash on both tips, and a few crinkles in the foam of the nose, ... I'm wondering if the Fw190 is worth adding to the hanger?
                      I've read all the hobbysquawk pages (24 to date) three time! There are plenty of experienced pilots who have had "plummeting issues" with the P51! Some say launch with gyro, some say don't! Others say use 60% throttle and 75-80 degrees launch angle while others say 50% throttle and only 30 degrees launch. Some say use your flap Mix switch and add about 5% up on the elevator setting and then switch off flaps after up in the air safely.
                      Just wondering if these same suggestions are necessary for the FW190?

Comment

• 60% throttle, have the plane angled to the right because its going to torque roll to the left, and throw under hand at 45 degrees. Be quick to put your hands back on the control sticks to correct the plane.

Comment

• This FlightLine and Motion RC P-51D Mustang seems like an exciting combination of style and performance. The ability to use both 3S and 4S batteries for different speed ranges is a great feature. Plus, the gyro-readiness and beginner-friendly design make it appealing for a wide range of pilots. The durability enhancements and various decal options add to its versatility. Thanks for sharing this detailed information and product link.

Comment

• This FlightLine and Motion RC P-51D Mustang seems like an exciting combination of style and performance. The ability to use both 3S and 4S batteries for different speed ranges is a great feature. Plus, the gyro-readiness and beginner-friendly design make it Futbol libre​ appealing for a wide range of pilots. The durability enhancements and various decal options add to its versatility. Thanks for sharing this detailed information and product link.​

Comment

Working...
                            X