Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Souvenirs of Nazi Aviation. They were 50 years ahead in many areas.....

Comment

Finally got back home from my week-long business trip. Assembled and bound my Lang Nasen Dora. I’ve decided to run a stabilized 7-channel Lemon RX. Since I had channels to spare, I gave each Aileron servo it’s own channel, so that I can sub-trim them with my DX9, if needed. I doubt that I’ll run the Dora very much with he stabilizer active, but it’s a nice option to have on a plane this small. I dug through my stash of vinyl decals and found a pack of tail swastikas, with a size that fits this model pretty nicely, although admittedly, they may be a touch too large.

Unfortunately, the weather prediction is for total crap weather tomorrow; so, it may be next weekend before I’ll be able to get her in the air. :-/

Click image for larger version

Name:	9A7AC109-DEEB-4450-B318-D30E4853F987.jpeg
Views:	1419
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	198983
      ---
      Warbirder

Comment

Good job OX, but I think I am going to have to do the white stripe on the spinner... I have tried not to, but it just "needs" it!!! ;) Maybe later on, I will rework that paint a little bit too, but right now I just want to get her flying!!! :Cool::Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Hardway View Post
          Good job OX, but I think I am going to have to do the white stripe on the spinner... I have tried not to, but it just "needs" it!!! ;) Maybe later on, I will rework that paint a little bit too, but right now I just want to get her flying!!! :Cool::Cool:
          The spinner does need a swirl.

I ultimately want to do the JV44 red/white bottom, but like you, I just want to fly her now. :-)
          ---
          Warbirder

Comment

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	1274
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	199146

Maybe this could be the next "Toss and Boss" candidate....

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	1274
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	199146

Maybe this could be the next "Toss and Boss" candidate....
              I want the size of the one you got in the pic or larger ;)
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Go ahead and start a separate Toss n' Boss wishlist thread so we can better keep track of these requests. To me the category warrants a separate thread because of their decidedly smaller size and mission.

Who knows what the future holds!

Oxotnik, let us know how your maiden goes! The Dora launches like the Mustang: strong toss good power into a headwind. On 3s I'm power max but on 4s I'm lower, around 60-70%, depending on headwind. Get power on step before climbing out. In general, we've noticed that once a pilot becomes comfortable with how the smaller birds launch, it becomes second nature and the pucker factor vanishes.

Shouldn't need a gyro but no downside to having one, either.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

"The Pucker Factor"....hahahahahaha......Yeah, we've all had it and continue to have it. No one wants to see all their green turned into brown.....

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

I want the size of the one you got in the pic or larger ;)
                    This A1 was from the HK Durafly 1100 series. I've flown it sparingly because no one has one! Looks really good in the air, has lights and flies and lands great. I ponied her up to 4S. It was good on 3S but the vertical climb and the low flight speed passes are similar to the FlightLine FW190 V2 1120 which is a 3S/4S gal...

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                      Go ahead and start a separate Toss n' Boss wishlist thread so we can better keep track of these requests. To me the category warrants a separate thread because of their decidedly smaller size and mission.

Who knows what the future holds!

Oxotnik, let us know how your maiden goes! The Dora launches like the Mustang: strong toss good power into a headwind. On 3s I'm power max but on 4s I'm lower, around 60-70%, depending on headwind. Get power on step before climbing out. In general, we've noticed that once a pilot becomes comfortable with how the smaller birds launch, it becomes second nature and the pucker factor vanishes.

Shouldn't need a gyro but no downside to having one, either.
                      Thanks, Alpha. Will do. I have a few hand-launch birds and don't sweat the hand launch very much. For the maidens, though, I always get a buddy to do the toss, so that I've got both sticks in hand from the get-go. I'm hoping to get her in the air Thursday evening, if the weather will cooperate.

Power Max on 3S doesn't cause a torque roll?
                      ---
                      Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post

This A1 was from the HK Durafly 1100 series. I've flown it sparingly because no one has one! Looks really good in the air, has lights and flies and lands great. I ponied her up to 4S. It was good on 3S but the vertical climb and the low flight speed passes are similar to the FlightLine FW190 V2 1120 which is a 3S/4S gal...
                        Thought that wire spool the Spad was sitting on was much larger LOL
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post

Power Max on 3S doesn't cause a torque roll?
                          Not the way I toss it, no. I'm ambidextrous so when tossing with my left hand I probably subconsciously roll it slightly to the right during hand launch. I'd have to watch myself back in slow motion to see exactly what's going on. Not knowing how you toss, I'll say that, like the Mustang, on 3s even at power max you should be tossing and releasing it at such a hand speed that your fingers are on the sticks with enough time to correct any rolling moment. We sized these props so they'd be generally launch friendly --not cavitating, not overspinning, etc. It's not like a Funjet that would have spun onto its back in the half second between releasing the plane and reaching your sticks.

Having your friend toss for your maiden is a safe bet. You can keep adequate power and feel more confident you can observe and counter any rolling in time. The death of hand launching these on 3s is actually underpowering, because one could overcontrol the model before it's truly flying. Ultimately it's a balance of factors: throttle setting, launch angle, headwind AoA, and hand speed. The range is wide and conditions determine the best balance... lower throttle setting requires higher hand speed, higher headwind allows lower launch angle, etc, etc.

Comment

Alpha, thanks for your thoughts on hand-launching. I have to toss with my right hand. I've tried to toss with my left, but I just can't do it. I typically do underhand tosses, to assure that I have an upward trajectory, so that I've got a second or two to get my fingers back on the right stick. Planes like the P.15, that definitely need a good bit of airspeed, I do an overhand toss. I actually feel pretty confident that this Dora will be one that I can underhand toss with my right hand, once I get her properly trimmed.
                            ---
                            Warbirder

Comment

Name:	4214A6F9-45F2-4B81-874C-6D4B72173394.jpeg
Views:	1279
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	199618Here’s my Dora. Only one flight on it so far, but I’m pretty happy with it. I’m looking forward to seeing what comes next. Maybe a late 109G10 Zero or P-47.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                                Alpha, thanks for your thoughts on hand-launching. I have to toss with my right hand. I've tried to toss with my left, but I just can't do it. I typically do underhand tosses, to assure that I have an upward trajectory, so that I've got a second or two to get my fingers back on the right stick. Planes like the P.15, that definitely need a good bit of airspeed, I do an overhand toss. I actually feel pretty confident that this Dora will be one that I can underhand toss with my right hand, once I get her properly trimmed.
                                Adding to this hand launching topic. From what I found over the years having been to more shows than I can count, the people that tend to fail with hand launches are usually trying to do too much at once. I notice that lots of guys are tossing at the same time they are throttling up. I am not good with my left hand for much (joke aside) but I always hand launch with my left now. I always keep my right hand on the sticks to I have control of ailerons and elevator. And I use my mouth to throttle up. But I do it one step at a time.

1. Right hand giving a bit of up elevator
                                2. throttle up to the point the model needs
                                3. take a breath, everything looks, sounds good
                                4. launch with my left.

For these prop birds it's barely a "launch" like a park jet is. An EDF needs a strong toss to get the air into the EDF, but these prop birds will just leave your hands. Whether its these flightline ones, or the EFX's I used to play with, they are pretty much the same in that regard. They leave my hand at 45 degrees and get up to a safe height in no time.

Just take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dora Nine View Post

Name:	4214A6F9-45F2-4B81-874C-6D4B72173394.jpeg
Views:	1279
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	199618Here’s my Dora. Only one flight on it so far, but I’m pretty happy with it. I’m looking forward to seeing what comes next. Maybe a late 109G10 Zero or P-47.
                                  Nice repaint, Dora Nine, what a great first post for Hobby Squawk! Welcome!

I like your subtle shading and weathering, especially off the exhaust stack.

Which pilot figure are you using?

Comment

Hey D-9! Welcome to the Squawk!! Nice weathering. That looks like the 1/10 FMS pilot, right?
                                    ---
                                    Warbirder

Comment

The pilot figure is one from the old PZ P-51. I had to trim him down a bit to fit, but it works.

Comment

Anyone have an ETA for the Dora decals? I’m thinking of getting a second, and painting it another variation of Dortenmanns’s a/c. Thanks!

Comment

They shouldn't be very long, Dora Nine. Enter your email in the Notification field on the product page to be notified as soon as they arrive. I don't think we have too many coming for the first batch so they'll probably go quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                          X