X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
    I'm thinking about adding suspension to the struts, I think I can modify the FMS 1400MM P51 struts to work, I'm going to get two sets so I can use one on the nose gear so if it works out I will have a spare.

Stay tuned...

THe FMS Mustang is 1450 mm while the Freewing is 1400. I would try the Freewing struts first, because they are shorter and also because they are metal. I can only imagine that the main strut may need to be shortened and tapped to fit on the original strut pin while making sure to maintain the offset.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
      Here's a small mod review I put together. I apologize for the poor lighting and shaky camera...I was holding my Mobius while reviewing...

Thanks for taking the time with the video. Can you post some close up pics of how you handled the antenna? That's one mod I definitely want to do!

Comment

• wish I had known the P-51 wheels would fit..(without mods right?) wouldve ordered those at the same time as my Dave Brown wheel for the nose...
        .it was close to the real planes look anyway...and I also repainted the gear legs and wheel hubs using Alclad paint.
        www.TSHobbies.com
        Hobby Paint racks and acrylic display stands for collectibles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ryan@Motion/ryramZ View Post

The FMS Mustang is 1450 mm while the Freewing is 1400. I would try the Freewing struts first, because they are shorter and also because they are metal. I can only imagine that the main strut may need to be shortened and tapped to fit on the original strut pin while making sure to maintain the offset.
          Yes, it's just labeled wrong on the Spare Parts page...I have a Freewing P51 and like those struts so I just ordered them and then the FMS 1450MM wheel set (3"). The Freewing wheels are 3.35" and probably won't fit however I did order a set of spare main doors for the P38 to see if I can make the 3.35" wheels work.
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
            We're encouraged to see pilots take ownership of their P-38s over the past week. We've received photos of mods and customizations, new paint schemes, and other details to "scale out" or otherwise further personalize their P-38s. I'll remind anyone in the area to come fly with us at Apollo Field April 9 and 10. We have about ten P-38s scheduled to be there, almost all of them in a different paint scheme. It will be nice to compare what everyone has done and what they haven't done. After flying the big 3" Dubro mains I personally am going back to the more cushy 2.75" Robarts.

We have also received a small number of reports from customers citing inconsistent surface quality on their P-38s. Right off the bat, allow me to remind all our customers that any unassembled product purchased from Motion RC may be returned within 30 days for a complete refund if it doesn’t meet a customer’s satisfaction. Whether it’s a newly released product like the FlightLine P-38 or Eflite Prometheus, or a product which has been in production for years like an FMS P-51 or Dynam T-28, the clock starts once you receive it. If you open the box and don’t like what you see, simply contact our Customer Service Department for details on how to return the product for a store credit, replacement, or refund, your choice. In most cases we pay for the return shipping, so there’s nothing to lose in contacting us.

I just spoke with our Customer Service Manager, who confirmed that as of this writing, his team has not received a single request from any customer requesting to return their P-38 citing quality issues. If any of you reading this want to take advantage of the warranty coverage as detailed on our website, please contact the Customer Service Department. THEY EXIST TO SERVE YOU, that has always been the case and nothing has changed!

Regarding the finish quality, I have briefed the factory on the QC-related issues being discussed publicly and in our own analysis of the first shipment. FLTRI’s mention of a stray “hair” is the first I’ve heard of that one, but rest assured the factory will hear on that from me tonight. Overspray is a QC issue as well. For a mass produced foam model with all these masked off areas at this price point, I can’t guarantee that overspray will never ever occur, but I can promise it is high on the QC list.

Highest on that list of aesthetic QC checkpoints is the foam itself. My initial samples in August did not pass muster for cell density and smoothness. A second batch was made in November, which was better, but we still requested a third batch. The third batch was mass produced and comprised last week’s First Shipment, which in our random sampling before shipping out hundreds of models showed marked improvement over the prior two batches. That being said, it is obvious that some of you received product which is still less than you expected and less than the standards we’d expect from the supplier. Not a problem, contact Customer Service as stated above for a no hassle return.

For the record, the FlightLine supplier is the same supplier that makes Freewing’s other products, which for the most part has produced excellent foam for years in dozens of aircraft. In the P-38’s case some of this “gator skin” appears to be a function of mold layout, recipe, and other proprietary factors, not merely a result of rushing or lax QC. Rest assured those factors are being more closely scrutinized for future shipments, as Continual Improvement is a mantra which governs all our products, but at this point I cannot guarantee that from time to time models won’t be perfect. In these unfortunate but unavoidable instances, I would highlight again our Return Policy; it exists as a safety net. Motion RC stands behind our customers first, and our products second. If the first has issue with the second, we have a process TO MAKE IT RIGHT.

I'd like to see more flight videos as the coming weeks unfold across the country. Get those birds in the air where they belong!
            Alpha,

Rest assured I am not "sucking up" to you or MotionRC but I think that in my dealings with you guys for a year or two and all of the models I've received, I couldn't have had better customer care or better quality models. As you mention, this is a mass produced item and for the price and what we get, I believe that this is a steal and a model to be proud of. If people want to spend several hundred dollars more for a balsa and ply model for better quality then they should but I have spent more and gotten much less. I don't have my P38 assembled yet but I have inspected parts and can say that I am more than satisfied and people who know me know that I am particular about what I fly or for that matter for anything I buy.

I have bought several brands of "foamies" although I am from the built up generation, and I have found that I prefer to do business with Motion and prefer the brands they carry, more specifically Freewing, FMS and now Flightline.

I think that for a "first offering" you guys have done a great job and anyone that thinks that every model will be perfect out of the box is dreaming. I have only had one problem with a product that I bought from you guys and it was promptly taken care of.

I like the fact that we can call and talk to a "person" rather than go through a myriad of numbers and that the staff flys the stuff you sell so they are most familiar with and can help with suggestions and problem solving. I am from an engineering background and realize that things are always popping up and you deal with them as they do. I won't scare you with the number of mandatory changes that had to be made to the Minuteman Missle guidance system when it was being developed and the missles were already in the silos!:p

To close, I don't expect that anyone should buy this particular model if the comments here scare them, but I see nothing with this model but good and acceptable things and am very happy with it and I have a friend that is coming over next week to look at mine but has already decided to get in on the next order.

Best wishes to you and the Motion team and keep up the good work.
            Andy

Comment

• Thanks, Andy! I shudder to think of those "mandatory changes" being made to Minuteman missiles that were already in their silos, yikes!!

TSHobbies, your Journey's End is gorgeous. It's nice to see my/your/our bird in those colors. I really wanted to include that livery for personal reasons, and I'm happy that one of you chose to model it complete with the painted nose and other details. The alcad legs look great, too!
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha! thought it was cool nose art...looks like Beavis' 'head'

Though I may be replacing those legs and wheels..heres a few shots of the Freewing P-51 legs set in place..and with using the FMS P-51 wheels, looks like theyll work..
                www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• Nice, looking forward to seeing how she looks with her P-51 legs sitting on the ground.
                  My YouTube RC videos:
                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• One thing I cant figure it is ,how the nose gear leg comes apart..I know theres a set screw in the control arm, but how do you get the leg itself off? I couldnt seem to get mine off earlier.
                    www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• Originally posted by TSHobbies View Post
                      One thing I cant figure it is ,how the nose gear leg comes apart..I know theres a set screw in the control arm, but how do you get the leg itself off? I couldnt seem to get mine off earlier.
                      C-clip on top.
                      TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• oh no..I hate C clips..never can get them off....
                        so, once I pull the nose gear off..is there a small post left that I can mount the FW gear onto?
                        www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• What diameter are the P51 wheels?

Comment

• It looks like we will need to cut the FW strut to length then cut the C-clip groove.
                            TiredIron Aviation

Comment

• Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post

Thanks for taking the time with the video. Can you post some close up pics of how you handled the antenna? That's one mod I definitely want to do!
                              Sure I'll take some photos...
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

It looks like we will need to cut the FW strut to length then cut the C-clip groove.
                                Im thinking of using the FMS strut for the nose..just dont know how the nose gear mounts to the retract yet
                                www.TSHobbies.com

Comment

• Alpha,

Thanks for the reply. As I stated (twice) in my initial post, I didn't type that long winded list to complain. There is nothing on my P-38 that warrants a return, and quite frankly, I'd rather fly now, than wait until May for the next batch. Flight reports that are coming in are pretty much universally glowing, As the Lightning is my absolute favorite WW II warbird, I'm chomping at the bit to get some stick time.

You, and others at Motion RC, have stated you were anxious to hear from the end users, once their planes arrived. Like many here, I'm a Motion RC Fan-Boy. I've had a few issues in the past, and you and your team always addressed them immediately, and I was always completely satisfied with the results. "My plane is beautiful" doesn't help Motion RC improve on their in-house product. I'm not the only one to notice hair and other debris in the paint, there are at least 2 more posts, with pictures, on RCG... The minor issues with my P-38 are just that, minor. But if you don't get feedback on these minor issues, you'll never have the opportunity to address them.
                                  I hate that motorcycle they make me ride. I'm here to tell you, there ain't nothing in the world I hate more than that elephant under my ass.

-Officer John Wintergreen-
                                  ElectraGlide in Blue, 1973

Comment

• Getting close!!!

Comment

It looks like we will need to cut the FW strut to length then cut the C-clip groove.
                                      Can't you just cut the stock post to the desired length and slide the FW strut onto it? You probably wouldn't have to fuss with the c-clip then. I ordered a spare set of P38 struts just in case and I may experiment with them.

Comment

• dkalwishky, here's the photos for the antenna mod. I do not claim in any way that this is the best method. I tend to go quick and dirty with these kinds of mods. It's not scale from a technical standpoint but for a foam warbird it does the job.

Step 1) Use a hobby knife to cut slits towards the top of the V Stab where the clevises will go.

Step 2) CA the clevis in place. Snap the clevis closed.

Step 3) Use a ball link clip (see photo) and attach to the top of the canopy (right in front of the seat) by using a hobby knife to cut a small slit. Punch the clip through at the base just enough so it's penetrated through. Use CA and accelerator to glue in place. Use a dab of epoxy if preferred.

Step 4) Put the start of the black rubber antenna (1mm Star Magic works fantastic...Cut yourself a long enough piece with slop) through the first clevis and tie a couple knots to keep in place. Put the other end through the clip at the canopy and then tie it to the second clevis. Make sure it's nice and tight. Tie knots. Cut any additional leftover wire.

Step 5) Dab some CA where the knots are tied to help secure. Paint the clevises and ball link clip to match the livery color.

Step 6) Stand back and go "Ooooooh, Aaaaahhhhh." :)
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• HEMS-DRIVE...Sweet! The first Skidoo of the batch!

FLTRI, your post was well thought out and excellent. No whining, just plain good ol' solid, objective information that was delivered respectfully. We appreciate it and trust me we value yours and everyone's feedback.
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X