Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use a box like this to set up all the throws during assembly, that way you can do each servo individually and set the linkages up. Makes the radio set up a snap after you get it all together, well worth the $
    rc flyin addict

Comment

• I had an unfortunate event happen with my p38 today. Nose gear failed to deploy for the first time ever. Thankfully it didn't tear up too much. But it rashed it up a little unfortunately.

Comment

• Ah bummer man...Sorry to hear that. :(
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• Yeah, I've had two prop hub failures on my 38, one on each side. One at about 30ft so had plenty of time to turn in for a belly landing. The other happened right at rotation and had to just pancake in at the side of the runway. Other than having to re-glue both the firewalls and a busted vertical stab I only had to replace a couple nose gear doors. Not too bad considering.If it ends up looking too ratty I'll just replace it with a new one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post
            Be sure it's not the control board instead of the servo. I repainted one of my Tigercats and was sloppy in keeping the fuselage control board protected and when I hooked everything up three of the flap servos chattered and didn't center or move properly and one didn't even work. I thought I had gotten too much paint on the servo's themselves and was about to order 4 all new servos but after I thought about it that didn't make sense. So, I did a little trouble shooting and bypassed the control board with a "Y" connector straight to the receivers and all the flap servos work like they should. All I had to do was replace the fuselage control board.

So, you may want to check if your control board has junk on the the pins or is itself bad by bypassing the board before ordering a new servo.
            I used a servo tester to check the bad nose gear door servo. It still chatters, so it is not the control board or a bad connection to it.

Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
              I had an unfortunate event happen with my p38 today. Nose gear failed to deploy for the first time ever. Thankfully it didn't tear up too much. But it rashed it up a little unfortunately.
              Hey rifleman-btx, I've had that experience before as well and didn't notice it 'til I touched down with similar results. What I've learned to do since then is to make a pass down the runway once after dropping the gear to verify that all the gear are down. Then if not, you can try cycling them a couple of times. If that doesn't do it, you can always make your approach gear up and kill the throttle for a dead stick in the grass. I've had to do this once and it saved the props, gear doors, etc. Brad

Comment

• Right. I'd check the individual servo(s) with a servo tester before cutting out a servo.
                ---
                Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Hey rifleman-btx, I've had that experience before as well and didn't notice it 'til I touched down with similar results. What I've learned to do since then is to make a pass down the runway once after dropping the gear to verify that all the gear are down. Then if not, you can try cycling them a couple of times. If that doesn't do it, you can always make your approach gear up and kill the throttle for a dead stick in the grass. I've had to do this once and it saved the props, gear doors, etc. Brad
                  Yeah that's what I did, a couple of cycles then went for belly landing in the grass. Unfortunately an invisible large ant mound in said grass caught it. :/

Comment

• Did you ever figure out what caused the nose gear not to deploy? As I recall, I think I eventually had to replace the nose retract unit on mine. Just curious, Brad

Comment

• I have a new retract sitting in the bag still. I haven't looked at that yet, but I'm really thinking about changing it out. I'll do some preliminary checks on it, but as of this moment my thinking is replacing it

Comment

• Well after extensive testing, the damn thing worked every time now... I don't know what the heck caused this

Comment

• rifleman_btx, you may want to investigate if your nose wheel is rubbing up against the front wall of your retract bay sometimes when cycling. I had that problem with one of my mains and I ended up cutting a small channel out of the retract bay section it was rubbing against which cured the problem for good. Just an idea...
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• Will do, sure is a head stumper

Comment

• Just rechecked for any binding... Nothing... Everything is free

Comment

• Hey rifleman-btx, you might also check for binding due to the strut getting bent back from a rough landing at some point. That will cause it to bottom out in the bay and stall the gear retract unit which in turn will cause it not to deploy on the next cycle. Intermittent problems are the worst!!! Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                                  Hey rifleman-btx, you might also check for binding due to the strut getting bent back from a rough landing at some point. That will cause it to bottom out in the bay and stall the gear retract unit which in turn will cause it not to deploy on the next cycle. Intermittent problems are the worst!!! Brad
                                  I had this happen on my Freewing Mossie. I'd lost a prop and brought it in too hard. After repairs, I was doing end-to-end checks and noticed that one of my Mains was retracting, but not deploying. When I'd loosened the mounting screws (trunion housing to gear well), it was obvious that I was binding the gears during the retract. Then, I noticed that the strut had been bent back, just barely noticeably.
                                  ---
                                  Warbirder

Comment

• That's a great point Brad!
                                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• For the guys who have done the oleo strut mods with FREE Wing or FMS struts, I'd like to know what drill bits are you using ? I'mm attempting to drill into the FMS strut and have broken 4 bits. Any info would be appreciated.

Woody

Comment

• Originally posted by ruffneckx1 View Post
                                        For the guys who have done the oleo strut mods with FREE Wing or FMS struts, I'd like to know what drill bits are you using ? I'mm attempting to drill into the FMS strut and have broken 4 bits. Any info would be appreciated.

Woody
                                        Hello Ruff,
                                        Those oleos are made from an aluminum alloy so I can't even begin to understand how you are breaking drill bits. What exactly are you drilling??
                                        One of the more common robust aluminum grades is the 6061-T6 which does require a better strength drill in the Titanium class but in this model industry the material used doesn't even come close.
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• OV10....... I'm trying to drill the strut used by FMS that rides inside the cylinder. I've been using titanium and black oxide bits. If this is aluminum I don't know what to tell 'ya.

Comment

Working...
                                          X